Q&A for BrikwaRPG

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Q&A for BrikwaRPG

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:18 pm

If you have questions involving the brikwaRPG's that are going on or rules ask here. Anyone who has run a Forum battle rpg or wrote a ruleset may answer. So go ahead ask away.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: Q&A for BrikwaRPG

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 pm

How many different rulesets are there now? Who wrote them?

What are the various major identifying concepts inherent in each?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of each, in broad terms?

Is there, in fact, a plan to consolidate two or more of these various RPG systems into a single cohesive system which will serve as the ultimate representative for BrikwaRPGS? If so, who will be heading/participating in that project?

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Okay your first three concepts can be answered by looking over at "the future of brikwars rpg's" topic and the bottom one I will answer now. There is a plan to consolidate Zupponn's and Bricksyd's rpg's along with my own which is not yet on the forums. I have taken the responsibility of combining them however Bricksyd has offered to help, and I hope, Zupponn will too. Anyone else who has written a brikwaRPG ruleset may comment and help. Right now there is nothing really started but I am waiting until I have a fair amount of time to work on it probably next month. I do need a writer for the supplement, or a number of writers and photographers because I want to turn this into a fully fledged rule book. I'm waiting for people to say they want this made as well. So far it seems the number of people who actually care about this is small but there are enough for me to think about a supplement.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:How many different rulesets are there now? Who wrote them?

What are the various major identifying concepts inherent in each?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of each, in broad terms?

Is there, in fact, a plan to consolidate two or more of these various RPG systems into a single cohesive system which will serve as the ultimate representative for BrikwaRPGS? If so, who will be heading/participating in that project?
Question 6: Four to five I believe, an Ur example by IVHorseman, by Silva, me, Zupponn, and Bricksyd. Links on wiki page

Questions 7 and 8: IVHorseman's wasn't really an RPG, but rather a new brikwars unit that can level up. On the other hand it does not require a specialized ruleset and can be implemented in normal battles seamlessly.

Silva's was advantageous in its flexibility and humor. It was lacking in that it was incomplete and had no leveling mechanism.

Mine was great in that it combined Silva's ability/skills flexibility with other features of a more complete BrikwaRPG system such as leveling up and SD. Math is difficult to keep track of without pencil and paper and leveling tiers are non-intuitive, in addition to the skill tiers featuring those +1 and +2 modifiers that throw everything off. Also, leveling up takes forever, aka multiple battles

Zups lost some flexibility from my system but in exchange is much simpler and as intuitive as Apple software, easily understood and can be picked up easily. So easily in fact, that it has successfully completed 4 playtests and several are ongoing hosted by three different members, proving its worth and given lots of time to hammer out all the fiddly little details, perhaps making it the de facto dominant BrikwaRPG system. Leveling up is a random event akin to an Almighty Benny or as a reward for surviving a battle, although a lack of a rigorous system of leveling up may be seen as a disadvantage by some.

Bricksyd combines the best of mine and Zuppon's, being simpler than mine and more RPG-like than Zup's. It allows for the flexible abilities that I loved in mine and Silva's rulesets and has an intuitive leveling system and tiers. Inventory is introduced and also this ruleset has one playtest going on right now, putting it on the level of Zup's ruleset. Disadvantages include being a little less intuitive than Zup's and necessitating clunky "character sheets" which may hinder newcomers/drain bricks.

Question 9: Alphafalcon wants to coordinate a project to create an official brikwaRPG supplement with pretty pictures and formatting and stuff. At this point it's Zups versus Bricksyd, or perhaps a combination of the two.
Last edited by cleanupcrew on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 pm

I think one of the hardest and easiest parts of this project is figuring where the characters will fit in the Brikverse. Sure they could be just like the regular hero but I would like to see a more interesting story grow from each character. I would love to see intricate stories of their adventures and the links between different BrikwaRPG's. Maybe the different characters meeting each other and fighting it out or becoming close ally's and fighting side by side. In the supplement I wish to include some pieces of the Brikverse "History" that leads up the events that the players will witness. I want to focus more on the violence of the game like Brikwars, but a certain amount of roleplaying in the Brikverse would be really cool to me.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 pm

alphafalcon541 wrote:I think one of the hardest and easiest parts of this project is figuring where the characters will fit in the Brikverse. Sure they could be just like the regular hero but I would like to see a more interesting story grow from each character. I would love to see intricate stories of their adventures and the links between different BrikwaRPG's. Maybe the different characters meeting each other and fighting it out or becoming close ally's and fighting side by side. In the supplement I wish to include some pieces of the Brikverse "History" that leads up the events that the players will witness. I want to focus more on the violence of the game like Brikwars, but a certain amount of roleplaying in the Brikverse would be really cool to me.
Immortal War and maybe a small side note about the AN-TA conflict would be appropriate.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Also Colette I was wondering if I could use parts of your ruleset. If not that's but I was looking through yours and like the system

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeah mostly Immortal War

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm

alphafalcon541 wrote:Also Colette I was wondering if I could use parts of your ruleset. If not that's but I was looking through yours and like the system
Sure, it was the first functionally-complete ruleset anyway, although it needs some revision to be honest.

Personally though I'd like to throw my weight behind Bricksyd's for the sake of unifying BrikwaRPG

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 pm

thanks

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Outstanding.

As for the setting, it's a mental copy/paste. BrikWars is BrikwaRPG. But any RPG setting that forces the players into a specific story is a bad RPG. Providing one story among many as important background fluff is fine though. BrikWars is probably the most open ended setting I have ever come across. Literally anything is possible, even such a reality where the Immortal War never happened. Allow individial GMs to decide whether they want to run that story. But, of course, make sure you include enough general information so that they can. Just don't forget about the rest of the setting and the myriad other stories than can/are being told there.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes I know, I just want there to be some brikwaRPG storylines, so the Game Masters can get an idea for settings and storylines.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:39 pm

If there's two things I really like from my system, it's the lack of XP tracking and having a minifig's "inventory" be what it can hold in its hands and fit somewhere else on the fig. As soon as you move away from that, there's too much tracking going on for my taste.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Oh man, I forgot that I wrote a ruleset since I guess the adventurer counts and am "allowed" to post in this thread!

I'm with Zuppon. Alpha, I don't know if figuring out which single ruleset is the best is as good of an idea as merging everything into a big hodgepodge of mix-and-match ideas would be. Whenever I'm coming up with rules, I walk a fine line between telling people good ideas and telling people how to play. The former is good, but the latter is very anti-brikwars.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I am merging the stuff that works only