Q&A for BrikwaRPG

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Q&A for BrikwaRPG

Post by Silverdream » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:22 am

Right now, I'm under the impression that Zupponn's is the best system because it's simple and it works. However, Bricksyd's system is still undergoing evaluation. So far I think it will surpass Zupponn's system, because it is the most RPG like and it involves customized abilities. I also like how the character sheets are made of lego.

Colette's comes in second place, and mine is the worst (although it really isn't bad, just incomplete and in dire need of playtesting and tuning up).
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm unsatisfied by RPG systems that focus on more detailed stats or choosing which +1 boost to earn next... this seems like it just detracts from what a BrikWars RPG would be "about," in favor of generic mechanics that could be part of any non-BrikWars RPG. If I was going to try to make a BrikWars RPG again I'd be much more interested in a storygames style game like Risus or Primetime Adventures or FU or Dawn of Worlds or something, focusing more on BrikWars-style-specific stuff like earning new Cliches and spending Feats cleverly and passing around Bennies rather than on whether a given roll is +1 or +2.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 pm

thanks for that idea Stubby also is it possible that you will be able to help with creating a full BrikwaRPG rule book

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Ha ha given my success rate at finishing my own rulebook, I'm probably the worst guy to ask

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

input at least then

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Well obviously. No matter how busy I am, I will always make time to make fun of people.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:21 pm

stubby wrote:earning new Cliches and spending Feats cleverly and passing around Bennies
This has a really good ring to it. I'd put something like that together myself except I have too many projects already. Also, I'd probably fall away from the core idea at some point during its development. I'm one of those people that falls in the middle where rules are concerned. I see them as important guidelines that provide structure to thematics. So, in that way, I tend to see cops n robbers as being just as generic as positive and negative modifiers. So long as the rules don't get in the way of the fun, I'm dandy.

Which, I suppose, brings up an interesting point. While I'm not opposed to seeing a "default" BrikwaRPG, composed of the best ideas here and presented as a complete project, I'm also not opposed to seeing various other BrikwaRPGs that embrace other playstyles. As a very basic example, a game that is ridiculously rules light, one that is narrative based, and another that is somewhat more complicated and crunchy.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:I tend to see cops n robbers as being just as generic as positive and negative modifiers. So long as the rules don't get in the way of the fun, I'm dandy.
I tend to see things as design problems. Plot-based games and modifier-based games aren't good or bad in themselves; they're only good or bad in terms of whether they serve the goal you're trying to achieve. The first thing is to nail down and articulate why you want an RPG that's specifically a BrikWaRPG rather than just a generic RPG that happens to use Lego; then you can start making concrete decisions about which strategy is good for hitting that target and which one isn't.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Colette wrote: Question 6: Four to five I believe, an Ur example by IVHorseman, by Silva, me, Zupponn, and Bricksyd. Links on wiki page
http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=10096
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm

stubby wrote:I tend to see things as design problems. Plot-based games and modifier-based games aren't good or bad in themselves; they're only good or bad in terms of whether they serve the goal you're trying to achieve. The first thing is to nail down and articulate why you want an RPG that's specifically a BrikWaRPG rather than just a generic RPG that happens to use Lego; then you can start making concrete decisions about which strategy is good for hitting that target and which one isn't.
Fantastic point. I should know better.

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am

I was reading some RPG reviews for Numenara and 13th Age and so forth and I had an idea for what separates a BrikWars RPG character from a BrikWars wargame unit. BrikWars has always had this underdeveloped idea that a soldier that does something cool to differentiate himself from the faceless hordes becomes a Character. So character gen would be something like:
How I Became a Character wrote:I was just another [GENERIC UNIT TYPE],
until [CONFLICT]
where I
Stupid Crap: dammit

and [NOTABLE PERSON, OBJECT, OR CONCEPT] was killed/destroyed.
Thanks to this event, I will always be remembered as a [INSULT].
And then your starting stats and abilities and plot hooks would be based on these five choices.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:46 am

True I might have to use that

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 pm

stubby wrote:And then your starting stats and abilities and plot hooks would be based on these five choices.
Haha, and I suppose that sums up BW's unique approach in a nutshell.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 pm

I was just another [ adventurer like you ],
until [ the war with Sauron ]
where I [ simply walked into Mordor ]
and [ I took an arrow in the knee, which ] was killed/destroyed.
Thanks to this event, I will always be remembered as a [ city guard ].