Short ranges on guns?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Short ranges on guns?

Post by stubby » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Zupponn wrote:But what about ticking down turns like MFZ does? That way you can force your opponent to move once you have the objective and start ticking away, or start ticking and move in at the last minute to claim victory. An objective based game is going to just be a death match unless someone has a way to instantly claim victory.
Don't get me wrong, I love just about everything about MFZ's mechanics, and I refer to it a lot as an example of super tight game design that delivers on a very pure distilled experience. It's not the same experience that I'm trying to deliver with BrikWars though, so the mechanics that make MFZ so focused just make BrikWars feel cut off and handicapped.
Quantumsurfer wrote:Another option might be to have an objective grant a better way to shoot the shit out of your enemy.
The couple of times I've tried this, the players just ended up blowing up the objectives so that their opponents couldn't claim them.

I'm not saying any of these are bad ideas or not worthy of further investigation, I'm just saying I haven't found anything that really works when put to the test yet.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 pm

A nuke will detonate in a given amount of turns and is indestructible, and can only be deactivated manually. If it explodes it destroys everything on the field.

Shooty or no that would force any army to move towards the objective.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm

stubby wrote:The couple of times I've tried this, the players just ended up blowing up the objectives so that their opponents couldn't claim them.

I'm not saying any of these are bad ideas or not worthy of further investigation, I'm just saying I haven't found anything that really works when put to the test yet.
Hm, yeah, I can see where you're coming from. BW has a unique thematic approach. I can see how that would twist some design decisions out of their conventional realms. As you say, it bears more consideration.
halo 3000 wrote:what exactly were you doing?
Oh, I don't remember exactly. I think...I've used objectives that granted a one off themed feat to the first minifig there, objectives that essentially granted Bennies, plot critical objectives, objectives that generated a random effect (some positive and some negative effects), objectives that granted briks for building (that one was before the mechanik, shit was wonky as hell, don't remember what I did there), objs that worked like chess or checkers (kinging minifigs or resurrecting dead ones). That's all I can remember now. But they could all suffer from those design flaws Stubby mentioned.

I am deeply interested in a solution, though.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:25 am

Maybe just leave it as is, but make it so weapons don't drop off quite so quickly. -1 every 2 or 3 inches instead or something.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:44 am

:D

I still remember the first character that popped out of a skirmish game back in 1976.

Hey you deleted the post :)

Now my response will be in front of your revised post.
At least I assume you are reworking it.

Oh, you moved it.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:And, after all, the game is Mike's.
WROOOONG! Brikwars is your game. Mike may have invented it sure, but we're all free to play however the hell we want.

Core Brikwars is just what makes sense from a loosely balanced perspective. Actual fun requires creativity on your part.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Ok, ok, fair enough. But not really what I meant. Truly, you can (and should) have this approach to every game ever made.

spartan117
Officer

Post by spartan117 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 pm

well this might be a repeat of something someone else said, i didnt read the whole thing because im lazy, but i don't really measure to much. i just try to get line of sight. i just kind of eye ball it, and use common sense. if the guy just LOOKs in range of the flamer then he is in range. and if its an smg its got some range. and if i feel like its a little out of range i just make it a little harder of a role to hit. makes things go a lot faster and funnereeeer. and because of this guys take like 30 inch shots with long rifles. and yes this can make cc weapons a little low powered. BUT!! we make the cnc weapons more powerful. believe me, a 5.56 round to the arm will NOT do as much damage as a good hard swing with an axe.

this of course is just me, and i use a VERY "free flowing" form of brikwars.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 am

The way I made CC weapons effective is with a rule I made called swinging: (not that kind)
If a minifig with a CC blade gets surrounded by at least 2 minifigs, he can cut through both at the cost of -3 each person he cuts through.

I don't think range needs to be that long though. It makes the rush of the game less prominent, and also sniper battles can be really boring when it's just two guys fucking around on opposite sides of a field.

But for tanks, I use a rule where a tank fires and you lay down a circle with a diameter of 10", and the next turn the bomb drops, this way the tank can't just annihilate the enemy before they even leave their base, and it gives enemy grunts the chance to run away.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:22 pm

... what?

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:52 pm

IVhorseman wrote:... what?
Are you talking to me or Spartan? You really need to clarify this.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:The way I made CC weapons effective is with a rule I made called swinging: (not that kind)
If a minifig with a CC blade gets surrounded by at least 2 minifigs, he can cut through both at the cost of -3 each person he cuts through..
This might actually unnecessary. Overkill damage can nicely dispatch more than a few guys who have surrounded a CC wielder when the damage roll is high enough (section 7.2 of 2010 rule book).
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
One of those posts makes sense. I'll let you figure out which.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:
One of those posts makes sense. I'll let you figure out which.
I'll live assuming it was mine.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:11 pm

halo 3000 wrote:One thing that gets me about Brikwars is the overall short ranges on ranged weapons. Now this may have stemmed from playing too much 40k but I have to wonder why the relatively low ranges?

What do you guys think?
I think if you want extra range on your guns, just spend the points to buy SuperNatural dice that increase range. That's what I do when I need to create a superscience/magic weapon (like a futuristic shoulder-fired bunker-busting rocket-propelled acid-chainsaw or a magic wand of that fires rivers of snakes) that's too small to conventionally have the amount of damage/range/whatever that I need.

If you want to have a shooty army, forgo their CQC weapons and reallocate those points into Range SN dice, especially for your snipers.

But yeah, like some of the others have said, the range limit is more for sportsmanlike balance than it is for simulating reality. It's just like the unofficial restrictions on flight ceilings:

"Flight Limits
Due to BrikWars' open-ended nature, Flying Vehicles can be ripe for game-breaking abuse. If your opponent knows your forces are limited to sword-wielding knights, he can ruin your day by fielding an assault helicopter, hovering just above sword-throwing range, and casually carpet-bombing your helpless ground troops into oblivion.

Obviously this is fun for nobody, and you have not only the right but the obligation to break his nose. In order to prevent this (the game-breaking, not the nose-breaking), it's best to limit Flying Vehicles to a maximum altitude of five inches."

A similar through process applies to one player having a hill bristling with sharpshooters and artillery emplacements picking off everyone else with impunity - it takes the fun out of the game.
IVhorseman wrote:
Zupponn wrote: With a pistol, a minifig is only within range (not dicking with out of range shots) at 6", which is exactly how far a standard minifig can move and stab with the extra angry inch.
Interestingly enough, most real-world firefights take place at 20 to 30 ft. Which is about the range at which MythBusters determined it's not so bad to bring a knife to a gunfight, since you can throw it at the shooter or just run up and gut them like a pig.
halo 3000 wrote:I'm just wanting a few extra inches
That's what she said!
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)