Brikwars General Server Set-Up/Research

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Brikwars General Server Set-Up/Research

Postby dilanski » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello people of the Minecraft Sub-Forum. I'm here as you need a server, and while there are other ongoing efforts to get one up and running, it seems there is a split between what that server will be, and what some people want it to be. Simply put, I'm willing to Admin a server, it would be a low-level fade-host package, as I have the most 'experience' with them (i.e, my script kiddie brother ran one for a few months).

But before I do so, I need to know, what people want, and if I can expect at least half-a-dozen active users. So, firstly the stuff I need to tell you, and a few questions mixed in.

It'll be tied to me 100% financially I refuse to accept donations, give your money to charity, and by charity, I mean Humble Bundle.

It'll be as Vanilla as I can get away with A vanilla server means it'll be easier to stay up to date, and also, I'll be able to get away with a low-level package.

Moderators Will Be Few Or possibly non-existent, It ruins gameplay when 25% of the user-base are mods.

Roleplay aint happening No, it isn't. Roleplay as a person at a keyboard if you must.

Whitelist will be in effect Moving onwards.

And now for questions

PVP? Stealing? Scamming? This is a tough one, personally, I find MC PVP to be pretty static, but I'll leave it to the general consensus. Years of EVE have taught me that stealing, lying, extortion, racketeering, protection, and scamming are all perfectly justifiable forms of emergent gameplay, but once again, I want your opinion on this. My preference is for consensual PVP only, with only 'direct' stealing on my list prohibited, the rest being fair game.

Events Diamonds for skulls head-hunts? Arena PVP extravaganzas? Statue building contests? Basically, should there be events run, with prizes attached, or shouldn't I bother.

Plugins? Which ones do you want? I'm thinking maybe Lockette, but that is down to the group.

Community Building How do you want the community to be built? It's an abstract question, but an important one. There will be a Mumble server, and a Mibbit chat may also be a good idea.

OK, so you've heard my drivel, I'd like to know off of you, firstly if you would play on this server (Even if the response is a 'NO!' I'd like to know), any responses to my questions, any queries, or anything you think I may have missed out.
ImageImageImage
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Re: Brikwars General Server Set-Up/Research

Postby Arkbrik » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:53 pm

I would play on this server.

I'm a noob to multiplayer Minecraft so I don't know much about the other stuff.

PVP: Is nice, and so is the associated crime stuff. As long as people don't steal your stuff when you're not on the server, that's boring.
Events: Never really taken part in any. But it sounds fun. I just hope it won't be in the middle of the night for me because of timezones.
Plugins: No experience with plugins, but Lockette looks good.
Community: Can't say anything about this.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby lawmaster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Events- PvP tournaments, mob wave survival, and gauntlets were all done on previous brikwar servers and turned out pretty well with prizes being awarded for survivors/first place.

PvP- Is pretty good, it is hard to convict someone of stealing due to the fact it could be a number of people though, Lockette would solve this.

Plugins- As said just before Lockette sounds good.

Community building- A mibbit group would be good.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*
lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:18 pm

PVP: :sparta: If you don't enable PVP we'll just start rigging up booby traps and cave-ins to kill each other instead. Might as well surrender to the inevitable.
Plugins: Lockette would be a good idea. There's also a plugin called block-check (or something like that), that lets you monitor who's interacted with the blocks in a given space (so you'll know who's accessed chests, broken/placed blocks, etc), which given that :sparta:, we might want, so we hunt down the :troll:'s who start burning down houses and whatnot.
Events: I don't have strong feelings either way.
Community: I've got no clue what mibbit is, but I've used mumble before and see no downside to setting up a group.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Finances, Vanilla, Moderators, Whitelist: Awesome. Keep creative mode off the table too. It's easy to slip into that and let it get out of hand.

Roleplay: A measure of storytelling has always been a part of the server. So, I disagree, but I agree entirely that we shouldn't be deliberately baking in support for it- just not hounding people who are making stories. One of those attributes of emergent play, as you mentioned. Consensual PVP only sounds perfect, along with the definitions of theft/griefing. "Don't Be A Dick" should pretty much be our one and only rule. We're a close-knit community (to a degree) and if shit happens people will have to face the music for it. Also, it appears that Lockette would solve most to all issues with that, including protecting chests against errant explosions- so, cool.

Events should be community organized, along with Builds (being BUILDS, not builds); i.e. we'll have a thread that plans and discussion can be posted to, along with announcements made for upcoming events organized by people (a side effect of which means that since the players will be organizing them, they'll be at varied times and with a variety of ideas).

Plugins: Keep it simple for now (Lockette looks perfect). If there's community interest in an unobtrusive one that enhances gameplay in the future, let's do it. Administrative tools to be able to back up investigations and kick out assholes would probably be a good thing to build in at the start.

As for community, we should probably keep to this forum and maybe a voice chat server. Let it go as it may, and we'll work with it if there's a need.

Essentially, I hope to organize a server under the following exhaustive list of rules and terms of services;

a(dmin): Hands Off.
    1: Don't be a Dick.
    2: See 1.

Fairly simple stuff. I'm pulling down the old server threads that have been pasted around here, and am going to put up new Whitelist, Events and Discussion threads. We'll have room to work.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Maverick » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 am

Who will be mods?
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Zupponn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:33 am

Maverick wrote:Who will be mods?

dilanski

Maybe Ross
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Brikguy0410 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:52 am

I pretty good at minecraft, but when it comes to red stone I can barely make a dispenser work

Also, I myself happen to enjoy role playing

Also, for plugins:

We might as well have factions

World edit is always useful
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:48 am

OK, it's great to see a response. I'm seeing a slight split between universal PVP and Consensual PVP, but I have an idea on how to solve that.

The question now is of the map, which there are two options, A) I just let minecraft spawn one, or B) World Painter.

If we let minecraft do it, then the world will be infinite, it will have every biome and resource we could need. If I do it in world painter, then chances are some resources may be missed, or scarce, as well, the program throws all its toys out the pram when I try and go much more than a 6000 block diameter circle, so while it wouldn't be infinite, It would take a good 15 minutes to cross the map by boat. As you can probably guess, the map would be islands in an ocean, with a ocean seed.

The way I could solve the PVP question, would be too have a set of tight, central islands, which would be mostly flat, with the basic resources available, then have outer islands, which would be resource which, and have 'rarer' resources. the central islands would be consensual PVP only, while the outer islands would be lawless.

So thoughts on this, World Painter, or Generation?
ImageImageImage
dilanski

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 am

I for one have been interested in getting back into a server for a while - pretty much anything will go as far as I am concerned.

Dilanski - World painter, if we can - for a long time I have wanted to set up a server spawn in the bottom of a massive crater, say with a town in the bottom of it and various natural and built staircases to ascend into the main server (which is then generated as normal) . . . simply because of an old project that was lost to a friends server - a massive dwarfen fortress style base set into the side of a mountain.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:41 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:Also, for plugins:

Factions requires built-in support for, you know, factions. It completely changes the server, and is the farthest from what we need. World Edit is always useful, too- provided you're a large-scale server dependent on massive constructions for infastructure.

Olothontor is proficient in Worldpainter. My vote is for a vanilla map, but if general interest is in a custom map, I know he's expressed interest in creating one for us. Either way, I'd like to organize Spawn City as well, being a central point for whatever distribution occurs.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 am

Ross_Varn wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote:Also, for plugins:

Factions requires built-in support for, you know, factions. It completely changes the server, and is the farthest from what we need. World Edit is always useful, too- provided you're a large-scale server dependent on massive constructions for infastructure.

Olothontor is proficient in Worldpainter. My vote is for a vanilla map, but if general interest is in a custom map, I know he's expressed interest in creating one for us. Either way, I'd like to organize Spawn City as well, being a central point for whatever distribution occurs.

On factions, I was just going to have as part of the central thread on here, an 'Allies' section, Just so if people want to break into small groups (Quite possibly to better share the resources from exploiting the rich outer islands.). So yeah, it looks like Lockette will be the only plugin.

Edit, also, I seem to have been a bit dismissive of you all wanting to build something 'bigger', the mention of cities, stories, and infrastructure does seem to suggest you do all want to work together. If I do the map (I'm close to moving forward with the islands), is there a particular style you want in place so you aren't just dropped in a barren island?
ImageImageImage
dilanski

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 am

dilanski wrote:OK, it's great to see a response. I'm seeing a slight split between universal PVP and Consensual PVP, but I have an idea on how to solve that.

The question now is of the map, which there are two options, A) I just let minecraft spawn one, or B) World Painter.

If we let minecraft do it, then the world will be infinite, it will have every biome and resource we could need. If I do it in world painter, then chances are some resources may be missed, or scarce, as well, the program throws all its toys out the pram when I try and go much more than a 6000 block diameter circle, so while it wouldn't be infinite, It would take a good 15 minutes to cross the map by boat. As you can probably guess, the map would be islands in an ocean, with a ocean seed.

The way I could solve the PVP question, would be too have a set of tight, central islands, which would be mostly flat, with the basic resources available, then have outer islands, which would be resource which, and have 'rarer' resources. the central islands would be consensual PVP only, while the outer islands would be lawless.

So thoughts on this, World Painter, or Generation?

I'm leaning toward generation, since one of the things I've always loved about minecraft was exploring the massive map and building secret bases all over the place. If we did generated but still want certain structures (like the crater thing Shadowscythe mentioned), I'd suggest having the crater be set to creative for a week or so at the start so we can build cool stuff and terraform, them switching it over to survival from then on like Bonn-o-Tron.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:56 am

This all seems good. I'm going to put my vote in for consensual PvP.

Unsurprisingly I'm with Ross on this one. The last server we had got way out of hand and went through several iterations of TMMS: Too Many Mods Syndrome. Keep it simple and we've got a recipe for success. I disagree that flat vanilla is the way to go here, and while Lockette looks like a good start, I don't think it's the only thing. Some simple mod tools for keeping the dicks at bay should do the trick. I also don't think Factions has any place here- that's how we got started with the previous server, and frankly we don't have enough people to make that mod worth it. What we inevitably end up with is a single big Faction with a couple of satellite factions of bandits and hermits that are generally made up of 1-2 people apiece. Not a terribly interesting server dichotomy.

As for the map, as Ross said, I'm happy to do one up. I've been having a lot of fun with World Machine and custom trees to make really interesting landscapes (and as for Shadowscythe's crater idea, I actually just read a tutorial on making nice craters, so that would work out well). If there's concern about compromising the eternal map, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to just make the interesting central landmass and then go in with Voxelsniper and WorldEdit to blend it into the surrounding "natural" MC map.

Just a few thoughts.

EDIT: Also, islands are doable as well. Example of a map I did while I was first starting out:

Some of that is texture pack tricks (the nice gradient of vegetation to the stone of the mountaintop is all metadata madness), but it's still possible to make great maps in Default. As much as I love my resource packs these days (and as much as I abhor Default), it's probably too much to ask everyone to switch over, heh. It's Conquest TP, if anyone's interested, though.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:23 am

Olothontor wrote: If there's concern about compromising the eternal map, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to just make the interesting central landmass and then go in with Voxelsniper and WorldEdit to blend it into the surrounding "natural" MC map.

Yes. This would be perfect.

Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft