Getting up to speed

A friendly place for friendly people where we all play nice and share.

Moderator: Colette

Forum rules
Play nice with n00bs in the New People threads. Save the abuse, trolling, and pr0n for everywhere else.

Getting up to speed

Postby Itxi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:26 am

Hello everyone,

When I first started reading up on Brikwars I assumed it was a chaotic universe with no real consistency, in order to allow you to make whatever the hell you wanted.

Now though I'm seeing that the forums have a canon universe of their own, involving everyone's factions. But I'm struggling to see how everything fits together, the wiki is mostly placeholder pages (all I know about Warhead is that his head is on fire, yet I get the feeling he's a big part of the backstory). Is there somewhere I can find a summary of the current state of affairs? Is someone willing to bring me up to speed? Am I making a prat of myself by even asking these questions? :mystery:
Itxi
Hero

Re: Getting up to speed

Postby Maverick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:15 am

You don't have to follow the Canon. It is simply for the people who thinks too much chaos is... Well, too much chaos. Warhead is one of the most important people in BW hiatory. He is a oldish man who loves, beer beards and his son, Mini-Warhead.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby stubby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 am

The wiki is still in the process of migrating over from the old wiki, so things might be placeholdered up for awhile.

Warhead dominated the story for a couple of BRs, but he hasn't been as active lately. Now all the guys who used to be the worst trolls in Warhead's day are the ones taking the story forward, and getting harassed by a new generation of trolls behind them.

The thing about Kanon is that everyone has their own Kanon, and even the "shared" Kanon is interpreted differently every time a new person takes it up.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Nimja » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:59 pm

I seem to notice most shared Kano is space-themed.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

The Empryan colonies!
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Itxi wrote:chaotic universe with no real consistency, in order to allow you to make whatever the hell you wanted

Itxi wrote:I'm seeing that the forums have a canon universe of their own, involving everyone's factions. But I'm struggling to see how everything fits together

Answered your own question, mate- it doesn't! What we're observing is what happens when people on the forums build other people's factions in their own brik bins to have someone to fight with in proxy. When that occurs, shared narratives are created- and when someone with the creative impact and story potential of Warhead's Immortals pops up, everyone taps into it.

So yeah, it's a confusing mess. Welcome to Brikwars. Just do what you'd like. It doesn't need to fit anyone's idea of Kanon except your own- after all, the Brikverse is a big place... there's plenty of room to play. :wink:

As for Space, I think that's because we tend to associate space-going empires with traveling and encountering other civilizations. Seems to have the most potential for explosions, that's for sure!
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Nimja » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:07 pm

To be honest, the Brikverse is more of a MultiBrikVerse, because of the large amounts of Kanons.
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

The Empryan colonies!
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:55 pm

It can be a bit overwhelming. Some of the community members have a great deal of personal Kanon and there is a core group of folks that constantly share and crossover. That's a huge part of what makes it fun, that bouncing ideas off of one another. You can wander off to play with your own toys in the corner or you can wander over and toss your bricks in the pile everyone shares. Neither is wrong to do. Once you get used to the ebb and flow again, its not too intimidating after all.

That said, we do have established structures in place for those who don't necessarily want to build their own setting from the ground up. I've been trying, in bits and pieces, to make the Wiki a friendlier place. I think the chaos then and the chaos now that you describe is fundamentally different. There are several people who have worked to do some generalized explaining. Obviously, as with anything, the subtleties and in-jokes are yours to discover but the structures are in place if you want to use them. They will also help toward creating a more fun shared universe.

You probably don't need this, since you're coming back, but you could point newbies to it to help them gain a grasp on what this all is.
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brikwars_Universe

Naturally, Factions generate the majority of the Kanon. There's nothing for it but to get stuck in and do some reading. Or stick around for awhile and watch/participate. It'll unfold a little more slowly that way but you'll still get the gist. Right now, Piltogg is doing some excellent work gathering together old battle reports and forum battles. You can find links to these in the various years under History. Teknologyis arguably one of the more important categories for structure. You can get a great idea of what things look like and what some general capabilities are. We have some basic categorizationsand various ways to approach tek (where we only had Tek Levels before...and even they've got an update).

But I think most pertinent to your original query is something we're slowly working on now. In addition to the collection of canon that Piltogg is doing now, I've implemented a section for top level storylines that will gather all the disparate components (factions, locations, tek, powers, belief systems, characters, and connections to other stories) and give them shape. Also, Colette has started a thread for folks new to the evolving kanon, here.

Above all, I think the earlier advice is good advice. Please don't feel restricted to what we have down. Too much of that already. Feel free to make new shit up, collaborate, and have fun with it.

As for being a prat. No, not at all. I see no issues with being curious. I think a prat would be someone who dismisses this all out of hand in a shitty manner. Or, on this side, someone who thinks you should have to work to unlock all the Big, Important Super Secrets the community maintains.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Itxi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Lots of good stuff

Thanks Quantum, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheers everyone else as well, I feel a lot more free to make a faction of whatever the hell I want now, I'm getting the impression that a faction's power is linked to how popular they are with the community and thus how many forum battles they appear in (Kinda like comic book heroes)
Itxi
Hero

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:30 pm

No problem.

Itxi wrote:I'm getting the impression that a faction's power is linked to how popular they are with the community and thus how many forum battles they appear in (Kinda like comic book heroes)

Can't hurt. But don't let current popularity slow your storytelling prowess.

Nimja wrote:To be honest, the Brikverse is more of a MultiBrikVerse, because of the large amounts of Kanons.

We have structures for that too.
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legitimitium_MultiVerse
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Locations#Alternate_Dimensions
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rekonstruktion
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Nimja » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:33 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:No problem.

Itxi wrote:I'm getting the impression that a faction's power is linked to how popular they are with the community and thus how many forum battles they appear in (Kinda like comic book heroes)

Can't hurt. But don't let current popularity slow your storytelling prowess.

Nimja wrote:To be honest, the Brikverse is more of a MultiBrikVerse, because of the large amounts of Kanons.

We have structures for that too.
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legitimitium_MultiVerse
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Locations#Alternate_Dimensions
http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rekonstruktion

I agree with Ixit, although it makes sense:The more popular a faction is, the more people remember it,so it becomes cooler, and Brikwars is governed by the rule of cool, So they become more powerful.
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

The Empryan colonies!
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Brikguy0410 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I myself have noticed that the immoral war has kind of been sidelined, and the TA AN conflict is starting to take off
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Nimja » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:03 am

Its called change of tastes. :lol:
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

The Empryan colonies!
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Gorthaff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Someone should sticky this on the new peoples thread, it really helps getting into the stuff in my opinion.
I couldn't come up with anything smart, original or funny, so <=THIS=> is what you get.
ENJOY IT!!!
Gorthaff
Nice Dubs

Postby Vami IV » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:41 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:I myself have noticed that the immortal war has kind of been sidelined, and the TA-AN conflict is starting to take off

Colette has yet to get to that, and the TA's falling apart fast. And the Immortal has become something of a dull topic since Warhead announced that The Fall of FICO would be in stages.
Spoiler: show
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
Mega Blok

Return to New People Start Here