Faction background

BrikWars fiction in long-prose form. Trigger warning: Walls of text

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Quantumsurfer

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Faction background

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I noticed some people do this without having an army, so am I

A long time ago in a far flung cornor of the brik verse, before the scythians or Assyrians and whatnot, a Great War raged between many races, insect lids fought orcs, minifigs fought peaches, and much more, one day a figure appeared amidst the fighting, he brought peace to the land and established the republic of valoros, emporer brikguy himself has lived for century's without aging what so ever, pointing to the possibility he is much more than a minifig, whatever the reason, for much time he tried to keep his empire a secret from the powers of the brik verse, despite the fact the republic of valoros outsized any of them, spanning over 1,000 star systems, but alas the were found, but still remain neutral, although they refuse to interact with members of the immortal alliance and simpithize towards the anti-immortal alliance, the valorosian military is varied, a standard military exists, but it only makes up 34% of the military, the rest are militias provided by different star systems or groups of star systems, but despite being militias they still have military grade equipment and training, but things like weapons and tactics vary greatly note, the entire republic is tek level six, except for a star system in the far northeast of the empire, the edge of the empire, who is tek level seven, but tek level seven equipment is only used in the direst of emergancys

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Faction background

Post by Silverdream » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:11 pm

You should make a wiki page Brikguy.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Silverdream wrote:You should make a wiki page Brikguy.
Well, maybe it should be split into sentences at least, at the moment it's like Ulysses with none of the character.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:09 pm

My problem is a 1000-star system empire consisting of a single robot. I've always thought empire size as roughly correlated with army size, and while that's more a guideline than a hard rule, this is such a clear discrepancy I'd never support shit like this.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Colette wrote:My problem is a 1000-star system empire consisting of a single robot. I've always thought empire size as roughly correlated with army size, and while that's more a guideline than a hard rule, this is such a clear discrepancy I'd never support shit like this.
And I am one hundred percent against this nonsense. Having a boner for bricks is a bloody stupid reason to stand in the way of storytelling. If someone wants to create a faction with zero lego and instead relates their story entirely through BrikFic and a Wiki page, I'd be a supporter. That being said, not having something to play with sort of, you know, impedes the gameplay experience. Still, nothing wrong with laying the groundwork for future acquisitions and subsequent games. Also, there's always LDD. Even if you never acquire any actual bricks, building a faction exclusively in LDD is more than acceptable. I will say that I agree in spirit, though. Having the visuals, whether through Bricks or LDD or something similar, can only add to the awesomeness of an army.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not impressed with people like Kaplan because they've got a fuck all big tank and a billion red bricks. I AM impressed with people like Kaplan because they do really awesome things like tell good stories, create kick ass wiki pages, interact well with the community, and create fun gameplay experiences.

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:31 pm

My main problem is working up the nerve to ask my parents to let me buy the stuff I need, the price is pretty high

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

The BrikVerse is vast and infinite. A 1000-star empire off in some corner no one's ever heard of, why not. There's plenty of space for anything.

I don't think you get to say your empire is bigger than anyone else's, because only they get to decide how big their empires are. (And a couple of them are much larger than 1000 star systems in any case.) But you can make up whatever story you want for your own stuff in your own universe, why not?

BrikGuy vs. Colette:

Now if you want other empires to interact with yours, you might have a hard time finding any other players who want to play in the "my empire is bigger than anyone else's" universe; you might be stuck playing that one by yourself for awhile. You can't decide how big other people's empires are, and you also can't decide whether or not they want to play with yours. That's the nature of the game.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 pm

That's why the ZMC controls few to no star systems. People are more willing to accept you if they think, "Hey, these guys are everywhere, but Zupponn isn't waving his dick in everyone's faces."

Plus, I wanted to be different than most people when I created the ZMC.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:14 am

I have always thought the key to this, even in something as far out and unbelievable as Brikwars is to equalise your fluff as you are writing it.

And thus begins the session wherein scythe talks about his own shit as an example.

The great and mighty scythian empire.

Now, when I first joined the forums I was inspired by two things - warhead and his Immortal Empire and olonthors brikspace rules. It took me a while to gather steam, I named my empire after the latter half of my username and started rocking up LDD ships for the fun of it, despite how many people claim I have awesome skills, I was still new to this at the time.

Back when they started they had 450-500 planets across almost as many solar systems, hidden away in the galactic core. They didn't have contact with the outer universe out of choice, only the advent of direct opposition (the immortals) forced them into war. They where a stagnant people from an economic downturn that almost ended their civilization. They don't spread or expand, they simply grew comfortable in revising and improving their territory. Their huge military was a breadbasket, a token gesture that great out of giving people home, food and shelter that turned into tradition.

As time gas grown, I have played this through in brikfiction and the few battles I have been lucky enough to have forces in, they don't spread or conquer - they fight the Immortals away, reclaim and move on. If anything that absurd number of planets at the start, Nigh on five years ago was fallen dramatically to just under 400. This is the key to what I am going to explain yet. Despite the fact that I have continued to develop their units, their tech, their nation and even hinted at religion ("the maidens of scythia ") everything is based in the idea that for every advantage there is another disadvantage that makes them seem like a believable thing.

Huge number of stars systems? - huge number of targets, be prepared to be on the receiving end of every other star nations dick when they want to expand and you just happen to be in the way.

Huge military forces? - If that is the case, maybe their beurocratic supply and demand is massive and slow, forcing them to take forever to get anywhere, or their entire army is made up of greenhorns who have never been in combat beyond simulations, which is the card I played when I entered into my obsidian compact with Warhead to become his "nemesis"

High tech is costly and advanced - unless you can hardwave it away plot wise you are going to have a problem.

Look at real life examples of nations and what they do in regards to armed forces, industry, economics, tradition, mindset and you will see all the examples out there that our world is not perfect. So if you are creating something you want to be taken seriously, why should it be perfect at all?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 am

stubby wrote:The BrikVerse is vast and infinite. A 1000-star empire off in some corner no one's ever heard of, why not. There's plenty of space for anything.

I don't think you get to say your empire is bigger than anyone else's, because only they get to decide how big their empires are. (And a couple of them are much larger than 1000 star systems in any case.) But you can make up whatever story you want for your own stuff in your own universe, why not?

BrikGuy vs. Colette:

Now if you want other empires to interact with yours, you might have a hard time finding any other players who want to play in the "my empire is bigger than anyone else's" universe; you might be stuck playing that one by yourself for awhile. You can't decide how big other people's empires are, and you also can't decide whether or not they want to play with yours. That's the nature of the game.
The reason it is so big is to fit in all the different milita groups, basically I have taken multiple army's and put them into one army, but I guess I'll drop it to 700

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:09 am

It's like Detroit. There is only one guy who actually keeps order. And he is a robot.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 am

I think your MOCs should accompany your empire's description. If you claim to have a grandiose, rich and technologically advanced space-faring civilization, your build's qualities should be, in this case, a reflection of that.

Of course that you can create and imagine whatever you want. There are no limits to that. But there are also bragging rights. Natalya and Scythe, for example, have all this cool fluff about how great their factions are and all that is backed by awesome, well-built, armies and navies.

Even I, with the MAOX and even the Metal Warriors, try to make a timeline parallel with the first creations and how they evolved, which could be translated to some sort of equal evolution of your faction.