Line of duty

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Line of duty

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Once I improve my drawing, I'm going to try and do a comic, called line of duty, it's about a squad of valorosian soldiers trapped in the territory taken during the seven hour war, trapped behind enemy lines and with no contact to the empire, they blast there way through NATO soldiers and trattorians in an attempt to free the suppressed systems, and go on to lead a resistance movement, causing suppressed valorosains on thousands of worlds to take up arms in a bid to return to the empire of valoros.

So how does this sound folks? Also any tips for drawing minifigs or drawing in general?

If you really need to know everything, I'm also posting a spoiler thread for season one, in case you really want to know

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Re: Line of duty

Post by Maverick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I thought you went down to only sevenhundred worlds. Also, you don't have to draw minifigs. Every artist has his/her own style.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:16 pm

As a story concept, its cliche, but that's not exactly a crippling flaw. If you can make the story interesting enough, you can make your audience look past the cliches and just enjoy it.

How rough are your current art skills, out of curiosity? If they're poor enough that you think it will take a long time to get them up to a reasonable level, I'd suggest you either shelve or backburner the comic idea, and try and tell the story another way (You can probably pull off an Irregular Webcomic style project with pretty meager resources, for example). Or you could try to go on deviantart or a similar site and see if you can find an artist willing to help you out. Or you could try just writting the story, like what ShadowScythe's been doing with the Scythian Shorts.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Sounds really good.

I had a similar thought today while running errands. Something triggered a memory of The Warriors and I was tickled by the idea of your guys placed in that role, trying to make it past all the gangs of the BrikVerse.

Metaphor for the whole Brikguy versus the Forums thing that has been happening lately, really.

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:As a story concept, its cliche, but that's not exactly a crippling flaw. If you can make the story interesting enough, you can make your audience look past the cliches and just enjoy it.

How rough are your current art skills, out of curiosity? If they're poor enough that you think it will take a long time to get them up to a reasonable level, I'd suggest you either shelve or backburner the comic idea, and try and tell the story another way (You can probably pull off an Irregular Webcomic style project with pretty meager resources, for example). Or you could try to go on deviantart or a similar site and see if you can find an artist willing to help you out. Or you could try just writting the story, like what ShadowScythe's been doing with the Scythian Shorts.
I actually had the idea to use actual lego and take pics, then put it in comic form, like Kaplan did with encounter on bios, also :wtc: does cliche mean

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 pm

These are the characters

Kyle: the squad leader, although young, he has proven himself A worthy leader

Sectos: the squad sniper, he rarely talks and communicates through hand signals only Kyle can seem to understand

Tyrone: the heavy weapons trooper, and dispute his large muscular appearance, he's a caring guy

Rick: Kyle's brother, and the squad melee troopers, his specialties included arguing with Kyle and defying orders, or as he calls it "finding an alternate route" also very hot-headed

The smithson twins: two fresh recruits that tend to do whatever Rick tells them to, so when he "finds an alternate route" they usually follow

Samantha: the demolitions expert and the only girl in the squad

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:26 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote: also :wtc: does cliche mean
I almost forgot you were 12 for a minute there.

Regarding the characters, I think you should really swap some traits around and try to come up with some more original elements, as your current ones are a little predictable. They also still have a very short bio. You want to have around a paragraph or two for each one. Characters have a history, multifaceted personalities, unique quirks, personal growth, and their own identity. Spear Carriers have a name, job description, and a single trait so you can tell them apart.

Spend some time on this site, after a little while you should have a better grasp of what kind of story you want to write and how to start building it. I am so sorry. Here's a good place to start.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 pm

A few thoughts on this idea:

You might be better off trying a brikfic. Internet comics are near guaranteed to stop prematurely, at least in my experience, and I guarantee that your comic skills right now are shit, and would only get worse attempting minifigs. I'm not trying to specifically single you out or anything, but as I've learned from personal experience, drawing is really hard. Rayhawk makes drawing minifigs effortless, but keep in mind that for a while his sustenance depended on it.

Lego webcomic could be more feasible, but lego piece shortages become really apparent when trying these. Not to mention, you would need to obtain a decent camera as well.

EDIT: Whoops, Battlegrinder ninja'd me.

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Colette wrote:A few thoughts on this idea:

You might be better off trying a brikfic. Internet comics are near guaranteed to stop prematurely, at least in my experience, and I guarantee that your comic skills right now are shit, and would only get worse attempting minifigs. I'm not trying to specifically single you out or anything, but as I've learned from personal experience, drawing is really hard. Rayhawk makes drawing minifigs effortless, but keep in mind that for a while his sustenance depended on it.

Lego webcomic could be more feasible, but lego piece shortages become really apparent when trying these. Not to mention, you would need to obtain a decent camera as well.

EDIT: Whoops, Battlegrinder ninja'd me.
Wait, so is a brikfic like the Scythian shorts, no, pictures?

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:49 pm

yes

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Go for broke and do both. You only get better by doing.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Go for broke and do both. You only get better by doing.
Its like smoking while drinking soda.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:Go for broke and do both. You only get better by doing.
Its like smoking while drinking soda.
Tzan, Tzan,
Short life expectancy man!
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:54 pm

I only do one of those.
I was suggesting that Brickguy do both.

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Tzan wrote:I only do one of those.
I was suggesting that Brickguy do both.
So, you want me to kill myself, way to rip off sam