Slaughter on the Plains of Jenison

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Coriolanus
Hero

Slaughter on the Plains of Jenison

Post by Coriolanus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 pm

This was the last main battle that my BrikWars group had. It lasted about 15 hours over two days and we still didn't quite finish it. Here is an Overwatch from the end of the battle to give you the flavor.
As you can see, the scale is larger than most BrikWars battles, and there is some variation in the level of building skill/effort. Since I was so busy playing the game I didn't take very many pictures (or worry about taking good ones), I'll try to fill in the gaps enough to prevent it from being completely confusing, but since it was last August I don't remember everything.
A few notes on rules: Each army was 1000 CP, plus squads, which were distributed by snake draft. We use our own movement cost rules, which I'll probably post sometime soon, and also have several other things that we have added over the years such as shields (which I recently found out is very similar to the new official energy shields), hero teams (basically a themed group of heroes who ignore the crankiness penalty), and cloaking devices. The green masking tape running down the middle marks out the river and shallow crossing points.

Overviews of the armies, moving clockwise around the tables. (Since not everyone has developed a faction, I'll refer to the different armies by their owners initials.)
This was my army, composed primarily of the Macrofig (38" tall) armed with a sack of size 19 grenades. (The Macrofig was a concept I had wanted to explore for a while, and finally got around to do it.) I gave him multi-tasking, which proved to be the best 39 CP I ever spent.
He is happy to be a part of the battle.

This was BF's army. The battle-cruiser cost so much he only had enough CP for 2 inches of move, so you won't see this moving much this battle.

This was GA's army, minus a couple squads he hadn't picked yet. It looks small compared to the other armies, primarily because both of his vehicles have cloaks.

ZW's army.

JW's army.

BA's army. His ship also had underwater movement.

CB's army.

Jesse Porter and Fiona Glenanne (part of my Burn Notice hero team) infiltrate the Battle-Cruiser (successful heroic feat).

I move first and send my squads toward BF's Battle-Cruiser. The Persian cavalry are slaughtered by return fire. As I recall the Macrofig also tossed a couple grenades, but his arms acting as make-shift 19" launchers were too inaccurate to be effective.

GA also moves toward the Battle-Cruiser.

The brotherly attraction proves too strong for ZW to resist and he moves all his forces toward his brother.

I don't remember exactly why I took this picture. I think it was just a cool perspective.

More of an Overwatch shot. Here you can see that JW has moved his mech to engage BA and the Battle-Cruiser has turned one of its turrets toward GA and destroyed a squad.

Another minifig perspective shot.

CB's forces move up and attack BA's ship. As you can see from the stack of damage pips on the stern it took it was heavily damaged.

Since throwing grenades proved very ineffective, I changed tactics. Since my Macrofig had two actions, he sprinted over to ZW's forces and set a grenade right in the middle of them.

As I recall, return fire and damage from my own grenade took out my entire first shield, but the awesomeness and damage dealt were worth it.

Another minifig perspective shot.

My squads continue their charge...
...and continue to die gloriously.

BA's helo is swatted down by JW's mech.

I don't remember exactly what happened here. I think ZW's minifig mower shredded a couple of JW's squads.

I don't have a picture, but soon after this picture was taken the Macrofig dropped a grenade by JW's mech.

Then CB hit it with his long ranged units and it went down. Here you see JW's and BA's squads clashing over the wreck.

JW is hard-pressed already with only squads left and BA and ZW pushing in from both sides.

GA fired his launchers and I think he damaged one of the Battle-Cruiser's turrets.

GA's squads have almost reached the Battle-Cruiser.

As have my squads.

Overwatch of this side of the battlefield.

One of the Battle-Cruiser's turrets is attacked by the Hulk, Thor, and others, but get's a great armor roll and survives with only being damaged.

The Macrofig then sprints over to CB's army, to face down the mech.

I don't remember if I smashed his drop-ship or if his drop-ship ran into the Macrofig.

But one way or another the drop-ship was destroyed. As you can see I have also laid a grenade at the mech's feet.

Then I backed up a little to let the grenade go off. The mech's shield was destroyed and it took a few pips of general damage and most of the squads were blown up.

On the other side of the map, squads continue to contend over the smoking wreck that was JW's mech.

Here you can see my fatal error. I had put the sack of grenades behind my leg to prevent it from being destroyed. I had however, forgotten about BA's damaged ship (which is currently submerged).

Overviews. End of Day One

To be continued...
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Re: Slaughter on the Plains of Jenison

Post by Cakeman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Coriolanus wrote: armed with a sack of size 19 grenades.
I really like this part :twisted:
Good read, looks like you had a lot of fun and much destruction. I'm looking forward to part 2.

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm

... continued. (I just tried to post this but it automatically logged me out so I lost everything. I don't really have the time to post all the commentary again right now, so I'm only posting the pictures now and I'll add commentary later when I have time.)
A new player joined us this second day (both to our group and to BrikWars) although his army did not end up doing much.
The day began pretty well, with this elf sprinting an incredible 43 inches.

This was a sad moment. My super-sprinting elf was killed by a plant-headed Seattle player.

In case anyone cares, we had to call the battle before everyone was dead, but CB was declared the victor, with BF coming in second place.
It was a fun battle to play. I really liked the style of fighting that the Macrofig could engage in-sprinting all over the battlefield and dropping grenades-although it did involve taking a lot of damage. Had I not placed the sack of grenades behind the Macrofig I would even have had a shot at victory.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Oh man, someone sticky this

it's just too epic, the sheer scale and all.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Cool another michigander
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Pretty badass. Macrofig was gloriously gratuitous.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Behold, Brikwars: Apocalypse

:studgod:

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Just saying, The Macrofig deserves to be in the rulebook.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:42 am

It's huge! :twss: :wtc:

:csi: :2camels:

I just hope you guys didn't have too much trouble finding your own stuff back in that pile.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks. Finding pieces usually isn't that bad because everyone knows their own pieces so well.

We actually just had another battle this past week so I hope to post that report sometime soon.