The Greater Anschluss of Image, GIF, and Youtube Republics

All mods enter, no mods leave.
Attn: Mods and Admins
- Move topics that were locked for being shit to Thunderdumb
- Thunderdumb shall serve as the trash pit for the forum
Also: Trololo

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Butthurt, Moronstudios, Killer Karetsu, Zupponn, Tuefish, Pwnerade, IVhorseman, warman45, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, ikensall, Dr. X, Arkbrik, Timedude, Tzan, Keldoclock, Ross_Varn, Elmagnifico, Magic Soap, OneEye589, 501stCadians, Maverick, Warhead, Zahru II, Natalya, BFenix, Colette, Apollyon, piltogg, Thesson, BrickSyd, Silverdream

Re: The Greater Anschluss of Image, GIF, and Youtube Republi

Postby BFenix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm

The cannon's barrel does not appear to have a muzzle break. The back of the tank seems sloped. The soldiers around it seem to have WW2 russian military trench coats, so yeah, I would bet on a T-something.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Duerer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 am

Duerer
Minifig

Postby ikensall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:15 am

Battlegrinder wrote:I don't think that's a T-34, the turret shape looks a little bit off and the gun seems to be a bit longer than the 34's. And given that the T-85 was produced in the 80's and 90's, I don't think they'd be filming one in black and white. Wish I hadn't packed all my military reference books, I'd be a lot easier to ID that thing with them on hand.

:iconcur:

The T-34-85 (i.e with the 85mm gun, not from the T34 to the T85 :wink: ) has a different turret to the earlier T-34-76 (i.e 76mm gun), the T-34-85 looks like this:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Image A T-34-76 (i.e smaller turret) for comparison, I assume this is what you thought I was on about when I was talking of T-34s

If you look at the images, then the sloped surfaces and frontally mounted turret are all hallmarks of a T-34 series tank. Also note that (as Bfenix said) the shape/sloping of the rear hull looks like that of the T34 series, and the gun seals the deal (for me); not many tanks of the period had guns that length/size/width (without a muzzle break), and all the proportions would look like the T-34-85.

The Turret (warning; I created a bit of a TL;DR monster):
Apart from the proportions of the turret, which just appears too wide. As Tzan mentioned, the only explanation I can think of is that they've strapped something on there (like tarp or their bergens). When I first noticed the turret dimensions I got to thinking if it was an IS/JS mark 1 (or 2)*, which had a turret that was wider in proportion to the tank, but wasn't a much bigger tank than the T-34-85. However, the details on the rear hull correlate better (from what I can see) with the T34-85 than the IS, with what looks like the T34's exhausts and central circular hatch on the rear hull. The distance between the side of the turret and the commander's cupola is what really indicates that there's something on the side of the turret for me, because (on both the IS and) the T-34-85 the cupola is right next to the side of the turret, and here the side of the turret protrudes a long way out from where the commander's cupola is.

Image IS tank, from the rear. It would have to be a rare model of the IS to fit with the the gun, as most of the IS tanks had largish muzzle breaks on 122mm guns, and even then the gun in the gif looks small for the 100mm gun (which didn't have a muzzle break) it would have to be if it were an IS.

So, in the manner of those programs on the discovery channel that begin with "We're going to solve the mystery of <insert mystery here>, once and for all!" I've taken an hour everyone's time saying the same thing over and over again, and now I'm ending with: :mystery: .
Although now the more I think about it, the more I think it's a T-34-85... just like I said at the beginning. :phil:
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby ikensall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 am

Talking of T-34s, the relatively hard to repair "Christie" suspension and the high availability of the T-34 series meant that a lot of the time, if a T-34 was damaged (particularly if the suspension was damaged -by a mine for example- the tank would be left behind, as it was easier to get a brand new tank than to fix the old one. The result being that there are supposed to be awful lot of T-34s on street corners (as it were) in eastern Europe. Now I found some pictures these tanks which had been graffiti'd, when I realised that a lot of them were the same tank somewhere in London, which had it's own (slightly interesting story): http://www.hiddenwonders.co.uk/1/post/2 ... -road.html

ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 am

wow ikensall you sure are a NERD
Overwatch_Elite
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?

Postby ikensall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 am

As maintained by stubby every time someone mentions the fact that there is a lot of weirdness and inappropriateness on here, if you're in this forum reading or writing something, chances are you're not really someone who would be considered a "model person" (if such a thing exists). So coming here and being proclaimed as a tank nerd, I could probably be doing a hell of a lot worse. Thanks for the compliment. :mrgreen:
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Maverick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:58 am

ikensall wrote:As maintained by stubby every time someone mentions the fact that there is a lot of weirdness and inappropriateness on here, if you're in this forum reading or writing something, chances are you're not really someone who would be considered a "model person" (if such a thing exists). So coming here and being proclaimed as a tank nerd, I could probably be doing a hell of a lot worse. Thanks for the compliment. :mrgreen:

Hello, tank nerd. Now you must also be a nerd in armored vehicles. Go.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby ikensall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 am

One last gif... just one more...

:spoil:
It's reversed.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm

ikensall wrote:
It's reversed.

how can you be sure?
Overwatch_Elite

Postby Tzan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:
ikensall wrote:
It's reversed.

how can you be sure?

No muzzle brake, but definitely has a muzzle break.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby ikensall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

Tzan wrote: No muzzle brake, but definitely has a muzzle break.

Don't waste your time Tzan, Maverick and Overwatch have four Troll/N00b banners between them, they can't be expected to understand the the science of our intrepid detective work. Not when they've barely learnt how not to reply to each other.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm

ikensall wrote:

Don't waste your time Tzan, Maverick and Overwatch have four Troll/N00b banners between them, they can't be expected to understand the the science of our intrepid detective work. Not when they've barely learnt how not to reply to each other.

More like I don't want to reply to him
Overwatch_Elite

Postby Tzan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 pm

ikensall wrote:

Oh, I was just trolling the trolls and your incorrect usage of the word break in an earlier post :D

ikensall wrote:not many tanks of the period had guns that length/size/width (without a muzzle break)
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby ikensall » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 am

Tzan wrote:
ikensall wrote:not many tanks of the period had guns that length/size/width (without a muzzle break)

Wow, I've made unintentional grammar mistakes before, but this one takes the cake ceak, I guess that's just what happens when you spend too long in Thunderdumb. Maybe I need a brake from this particular forum.

Complimentary tank gif:
This one gives you a nice close-up of all those muzzle breaks.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zupponn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 am

It's official. ikensall has a tank fetish.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

PreviousNext

Return to Thunderdumb