The Greater Anschluss of Image, GIF, and Youtube Republics

All mods enter, no mods leave.
Attn: Mods and Admins
- Move topics that were locked for being shit to Thunderdumb
- Thunderdumb shall serve as the trash pit for the forum
Also: Trololo

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Butthurt, Moronstudios, Killer Karetsu, Tuefish, Pwnerade, IVhorseman, warman45, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Dr. X, ikensall, Arkbrik, Timedude, Tzan, Silverdream, Keldoclock, Ross_Varn, Elmagnifico, Magic Soap, OneEye589, 501stCadians, Maverick, Warhead, Zahru II, Natalya, BFenix, Colette, Apollyon, piltogg, Thesson, BrickSyd

Re: The Greater Anschluss of Image, GIF, and Youtube Republi

Postby ikensall » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 am

Zupponn wrote:It's official. ikensall has a tank fetish.

Phew, at least I'm not the only one to make grammatical mistakes in thunderdumb. Zuppon here just got himself into a pickle by starting a sentence with my username, which doesn't start with a capital. Come on Zuppon, we're better at English than that.

Wait, hang on a second... I thought you said a while back you had a thing about batteries?
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Silverdream » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Guys, all three of us are GuP fans. The only thing to settle is who's best girl and who's best tank.

I say Erwin for best girl and Maus for best tank.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Vami IV » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Or you guys could watch an anime that doesn't require being a pedophile to watch.

Like Noragami.
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Vami IV wrote:Or you guys could watch an anime that doesn't require being a pedophile to watch.

Like Noragami.

Characters in GuP go to high schools, seeing as the main characters are second years, they're most like 16 (which is legal in some places, in case you didn't know). I looked into who seems to be the main female role of Noragami (I assume its her because she was first female on the wiki) and she only seems to be 15. If anyone is the pedo here, it'd be you.
Overwatch_Elite
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?

Postby Battlegrinder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:18 pm

ikensall wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:I don't think that's a T-34, the turret shape looks a little bit off and the gun seems to be a bit longer than the 34's. And given that the T-85 was produced in the 80's and 90's, I don't think they'd be filming one in black and white. Wish I hadn't packed all my military reference books, I'd be a lot easier to ID that thing with them on hand.

:iconcur:

The T-34-85 (i.e with the 85mm gun, not from the T34 to the T85 :wink: ) has a different turret to the earlier T-34-76 (i.e 76mm gun), the T-34-85 looks like this:
ImageImage

Image A T-34-76 (i.e smaller turret) for comparison, I assume this is what you thought I was on about when I was talking of T-34s

If you look at the images, then the sloped surfaces and frontally mounted turret are all hallmarks of a T-34 series tank. Also note that (as Bfenix said) the shape/sloping of the rear hull looks like that of the T34 series, and the gun seals the deal (for me); not many tanks of the period had guns that length/size/width (without a muzzle break), and all the proportions would look like the T-34-85.

The Turret (warning; I created a bit of a TL;DR monster):
Apart from the proportions of the turret, which just appears too wide. As Tzan mentioned, the only explanation I can think of is that they've strapped something on there (like tarp or their bergens). When I first noticed the turret dimensions I got to thinking if it was an IS/JS mark 1 (or 2)*, which had a turret that was wider in proportion to the tank, but wasn't a much bigger tank than the T-34-85. However, the details on the rear hull correlate better (from what I can see) with the T34-85 than the IS, with what looks like the T34's exhausts and central circular hatch on the rear hull. The distance between the side of the turret and the commander's cupola is what really indicates that there's something on the side of the turret for me, because (on both the IS and) the T-34-85 the cupola is right next to the side of the turret, and here the side of the turret protrudes a long way out from where the commander's cupola is.

Image IS tank, from the rear. It would have to be a rare model of the IS to fit with the the gun, as most of the IS tanks had largish muzzle breaks on 122mm guns, and even then the gun in the gif looks small for the 100mm gun (which didn't have a muzzle break) it would have to be if it were an IS.

So, in the manner of those programs on the discovery channel that begin with "We're going to solve the mystery of <insert mystery here>, once and for all!" I've taken an hour everyone's time saying the same thing over and over again, and now I'm ending with: :mystery: .
Although now the more I think about it, the more I think it's a T-34-85... just like I said at the beginning. :phil:

I stand corrected. I'm not too familiar with the Red Army's view of field modifications (though given this is the Stalin-era USSR, I suspect that such things might've been frowned upon), and so had assumed that most soviet tanks would not deviate from the factory specs. Also, I'd though you were referring to the T-85 when you said that looked like a T-34-85 (as in, its either a T-34 or a T-85). I really need to dig those reference books back out...

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Silverdream » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 am

Plus Noragami has more fanservice of questionably aged characters.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Zupponn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 am

ikensall wrote:
Zupponn wrote:It's official. ikensall has a tank fetish.

Phew, at least I'm not the only one to make grammatical mistakes in thunderdumb. Zuppon here just got himself into a pickle by starting a sentence with my username, which doesn't start with a capital. Come on Zuppon, we're better at English than that.

Are you talking to me here? Otherwise I have no clue who this Zuppon person is.

ikensall wrote:Wait, hang on a second... I thought you said a while back you had a thing about batteries?

I work in a battery store.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby ikensall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:20 am

Zupponn wrote:Otherwise I have no clue who this Zuppon person is.

Oh yeah, I missed the second n. :(

@ Girls und Panzer discussion: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the characters and their role in the plot, but I have yet to watch any other anime other than GuP, because I'm not too interested in anime characters. I'm interested in the (very impressive, if you ask me) tank battles, the likes of which can't really be found anywhere else (to my knowledge)- without the aforementioned combat scenes, I wouldn't be watching.

Basically, for me the characters are there to give a bit of purpose to the whole thing, and to make the tanks look that bit more awesome.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Silverdream » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am

Yeah, but who's best tank?

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby ikensall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Depends... If you want a bonfire; the Porsche Tiger, if you want a roadblock; the Maus, if you want a sneaky troll; the Hetzer, if you want to look stupid everywhere you go; the M3 Lee, if you want to make tea on the move; the Mk7 Churchill, or if you want to be of no use whatsoever, the Chi-Nu... so personal preference really dictates "the best tank" in Girls und Panzer.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Maus, you're just going to get yourself trolled:
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Silverdream » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Yeah, but before that the Maus was an unstoppable juggernaut.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby ikensall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:38 pm

But after that, it was markedly less so. :D

To be honest, the armour of something like a Tiger II would work almost as well as a Maus' armour, because the difference between 300mm and 200mm means nothing when you're trying to bounce shells that can only penetrate 120mm of armour. Besides, other tanks (like the TigerII) are less :boxy: than the Maus. Like I said, personal preference.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Silverdream » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeah, but it doesn't matter how it's impractical due to it's weight in size, it's bigger than everything else.

I just wish Piltogg had put treads on the Gustav gun.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby ikensall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Well, the Morser Karl came quite close. Albeit on a smaller scale, but I still wouldn't want to get hit by a shell from that thing. (The thing next to it is an ammunition carrier, and comparing it's size to Karl's, I'd say the Morser Karl is about as big as the Maus.)

Still can't quite trump the Schwerer Gustav though, whoever got this snap must have been pretty satisfied.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zahru II » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Found a snip of Colette IRL:

Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

PreviousNext

Return to Thunderdumb