things for the next rule book

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

aybraus
Hero

Post by aybraus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:05 pm

I think the armor values of everything should decrease over time, so the game gets more destructive the further it goes on, like a great big crescendo.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:54 pm

aybraus wrote:I think the armor values of everything should decrease over time, so the game gets more destructive the further it goes on, like a great big crescendo.
the thing that's wrong with this is that it isn't very realistic, and at its heart, brikwars is just a big ol' messed up simulation of reality. Armor doesn't go down over time. period.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Also, changing armour values would be hell to keep track of.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

aybraus wrote:I think the armor values of everything should decrease over time, so the game gets more destructive the further it goes on, like a great big crescendo.
Technically, they do. Remember that structure levels max out at the vehicle's size. If you do damage to the entire vehicle to make it's effective size smaller than it's current structure level, the structure level has to go down to match up.

E.G, I have a 5" tank with 3d10 Armor. You do 3 points of size damage to it, dropping it to effectively a 2" vehicle. It's armor would now be 2d10.

Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Dr. X » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 pm

I want more humorous pictures.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Dr. X wrote:I want more humorous pictures.
I agree 100%
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Well, I see you're back.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:09 am

silvadream wrote:I con-*shot with flaming arrow*cuuuuuuuuuuu *cough* *dies*
Ha ha! Humor at his own expense, this makes me nostalgic for Adean when he first started out. Whatever happened to that guy? Is he still around here somewhere?

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:Why was the range for the long ranged weapon reduced to 10"?
What was wrong with the 12" range?
That change came when I was rebalancing all the ranges for a tighter game, I wanted the riflers to have to be within two turns of a running minifig (or one turn of a Sprinting one, I guess). When I come back in later with rules for weapon mods I'm sure there'll be a sniper-specific mod that'll add 5" or something in that area. Just like the offers in all those emails I keep getting.

Greenkey15 wrote:I'd like to see an easy to use and accurate weapons/equipment/trooper modification chart like in the 2001 rules. Some people don't exactly like going through the special creations chapter forever to create units, and the guns aren't really modifiable in the 2005 rules. Maybe a SP kind of chapter for troopers?
These are in the plans, but I've got a couple other higher-priority items on the list to get to first.

Greenkey15 wrote:The STAR CIVILIZATIONSwere the jewel of '98, and those would make a good addition. I liked the 1998 rules because the Civs would allow people with differents styles of gameplay to be able to play like they would like to.
I concur.

Oh man, that reminds me. I had this great idea to change silvadream's rank to "I came, I saw, I concurred" but I decided his current one was still better. If only he could hold them both... CONCURrently...

Anyway I love what those star civilizations added to the book, but making them is a whole lot of work that only benefits very specific fractions of the player base. I kind of hoped I could accomplish some of the same benefits by setting up the brikwiki for people to start developing a shared universe to pull material from, but so far I'm still waiting for it to catch on.

Greenkey15 wrote:I had an idea for campaigning, but since people don't generally like text walls...
Sure they do, although maybe not in the middle of a thread - post whatever you're kicking around a new thread, then people can enjoy them or ignore them according to personal preference.

I've had some ideas for campaigning, and heard a couple of other pretty good ones; I'm still waiting for an idea to come in that really takes fire. So far, even the good ones haven't been quite exciting enough to make it seem worth the trouble of producing, playtesting, and refining a new rules chunk - it's a lot of work.

tahthing wrote:i would like to see rules on obital weaponry (exp: militry satlite)
maybe for every turn spent chargeing the laser it gains 1 attack power to a min of 5 and a max of +10 or so to the original
exaple
my satilite has 4 attack so it takes 1 turn to chage to a point it can be fired but i could charge it for 11 turns and get 14 attack
but they can only be shot by special anti-satalite guns on ground(must be sationary and same rule as the satalite weapon)
We had some orbital weapons rules in 2001, their quirks were a long recharge time, an impossible UR, and a heavy MissedBy multiplier - so it always ended up with the opponent getting to pick any target within like 20" of what you were aiming at as the NearMiss. It didn't end up being real attractive tactically, but it was usually pretty funny.

I do like the charge-up idea though, now that weapons are a lot more specifically Size-based than in the past, it'd be easy to do. That might end up being a good gun mod, if I can think of the play-balancer for it. It might be a good mechanic for letting small creations use weapons that are bigger than would normally be allowed.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 pm

i have a idea for the chargeing rule.
the weapon could store its charg in batterys for instant use so a size 2 wepon with size 4 batterys can charge for 4 turns and then fire twice in a row.
the batterys are then depleted and cannot be used untill charged though the vehicle redirecting its movement power if this vehicle had 4 movement it could direct 2 to the weapon and then move 2.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Only problem with this is that it gets tough to keep track which turn you're on. If something takes more than two turns to resolve, it's pretty hard to stay interested in it.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm

yer i guess chargeing weapons means you have to record it some how.
maybe add a brick onto the weapons base to represent turns spent chargeing?
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 am

Yeah, kind of like damage pips. Whatever the weapon was, you'd need to make sure to leave room to put charge pips somewhere on it at the end of a charging turn.

Of course it would need a different name than charging, because we already have a rulebook section for charging and I hate to use the same word for two different things.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am

"You need to charge up before charging into the store to charge some purchases, or else you will be charged with theft then subjected to an electric charge." - Tzan