Easy TekLevel

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

aybraus
Hero

Easy TekLevel

Post by aybraus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:23 pm

I propose the following optional rule, which is a simplified-yet-expanded version of the TekLevel mechanic from the 2001 edition:

If an object is unfamiliar to a minifig using it, rolls of both 2 and 1 count as critical failures.

The word "unfamiliar" applies to all senses of the word, not just time period mismatches.
Examples for using the penalty:
- Caveman using newly-invented fire
- Knight riding a new horse
- Kids caught in a Dinosaur-filled amusement park trying to use a tranquilizer gun
- Dogs driving
- Classical-era heroes using a sword to slash instead of stab like in every freaking hollywood movie
- Kwai Chang Caine using a six shooter

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:54 pm

interesting, but what about using something all-too familiar/easy? such as a spacetrooper using a bow and arrow, or a linux user using a pc? and don't say no critical failures - we all know that's boring and not fun.

Gallus
Demi-God of BrikWars

Post by Gallus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm

For something overly familiar, the critical success rate could be increased. 5 or 6 on d6, 9-10 on d10, etc....

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:10 pm

I like this idea a lot, it simplifies that whole system perfectly. I'd just want to add some distinction about unfamiliar devices they be able to use badly as opposed to ones they absolutely wouldn't be able to use at all.

aybraus
Hero

Post by aybraus » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:53 pm

I don't really think there should be any instance where a minifig can't use an item at all, since it could put a throttle on gameplay and reduce the amount of destruction. My 1-2 critical failure system was designed to increase the amount of damage on the battlefield.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:03 pm

can't argue with that logic. sure, a caveman could never ever EVER figure out how to run a quantum computer, but wouldn't it be hillarious watching him try?

Gladius
Champion
Champion

Post by Gladius » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Haha, yes it would horseman.

I like this a lot too, very simple and easy to fit into the rulebook. Mike, start making amendments!

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Mike, I think I have a solution. If the means for operation a device is already there (as in pressing a button or pulling a trigger), any minifig can attempt it with a penalty. If the device needs user input (super computer, things that have keyboards) then a minifig can only attempt it if he has the proper training. Hopefully it isn't too hard to determine which it is.

P.S. This is the best title I've ever had in my life.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

ninkybob
Champion
Champion

Post by ninkybob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 pm

I don't think spacemen would be very familiar with a Bow and Arrow. I think they'd be all to busy learning how to use their new MAHMCOD (Magnetically Accelerated Helmet Mounted Cannon Of Doom) than practicing with stone age technology.

Erick testmen
Battlefield General

Post by Erick testmen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:57 pm

But space guys are smarter than stone guys :twisted:
GIVE ME ALL YOUR LEGOS!
(no megabloxs plz)

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 pm

I'm smarter than you, but I wouldn't know how to operate a ginger powder catstamp that you invented. Intelligence doesn't determine everything. Einstein didn't figure out the problem and answer to global warming, but we can't call him stupid.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 pm

1. He just didn't roll high enough. The dice were against him.

2. You shouldn't judge against somebody for not succeeding at something they weren't trying to do in the first place.

3. Actually, he did discover the solution - thanks to the atomic bomb, we always have an option if we need to decrease problems resulting from human overpopulation.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Do you have something against me or do you just like to agitate people?

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Now, now. Don't make me post between you two!

Back on topic, should there be a Ker-Something table for this?
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

jack3.5
Champion
Champion

Post by jack3.5 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Ker-tables were so big and long that took too much time to use. I like the original idea. all it needs is a little simplifying and something to clarify better what certain teklevels can use.
"2005 rules in PDF it is like a dream come true"