Should there be a time limit for sending orders?

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

Time limit (READ POST FIRST)

Poll ended at Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes.
95%
No.
5%

Total votes: 21

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Should there be a time limit for sending orders?

Post by pesgores » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:10 pm

I thought of this because Massam was complaining to Cpl. Halan and was saying he was going to skip his turn because he did not send orders 2 days after the original post.

Since this is highly unfair, because people may access the forum only once or twice a week, I proppose the following:

-After the last turn/day/round of a Forum Battle is posted, the players have 5 days to send their orders for the next turn. If they don't do it, the Host may decide what to do, but before that, he cannot do anything against it.

So less active users can participate as well in Forum Battles.

Poll will run for...5 days.
Last edited by pesgores on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

i think 4 days and if you only come on the forums once every week then you souldent play unless you come on more often to play. and if some one is consitanly late then they should be replaced.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:14 pm

i vote yes. your way of doing it makes sense and provides for our less active members.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:16 pm

tahthing wrote:i think 4 days and if you only come on the forums once every week then you souldent play unless you come on more often to play. and if some one is consitanly late then they should be replaced.
Whatever, people may be off-limits to a computer due to any reason. It was just an example.

Like, when I go on Summer vacations, I susually leave the place for 1 month. People could go out in business for 3 days and it's not their fault, despite being active.

I think 5 days is enough.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm

I think it should be less than 5 days, 4 days at most.

6. If people don't come on the forums more than once a week, they shouldn't be in a forum battle in the first place.

7. There are enough forum battles that if they drop out of one for problems that caused them to be away for an unknown amount of time they are able to join another one before long.

8. It's not right to post-pone a game for five or more days because one person hasn't sent in his orders. The max of four days is half a week, allowing people who access the forums only twice a week to still go for it.

I think it should work like this:
The host posts the turn and once it is all finished a timer starts for 4 days.
All the players must enter their orders before those 4 days.
After the 4 days are up the first person to call the team gains control.

Quick and easy.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm

This is a problem for me. Our house is cleaned by a cleaning service every 2 weeks, so unless I can rebuild the field from last turn's Overwatch shots the battle can't take longer than that. In Brikpocalypse I was able to rebuild the field easily, but I think that it will be pretty much impossible to do this during my next game.

My proposal for turn limits is this: Each forum battle has one or more "seconds" who sign up on the top thread, as usual. If a player does not post his orders within the turn limit, a second is called upon to submit orders for that player's faction. If a player repeatedly fails to post orders, the second can take over the faction permanently. If a player knows that he won't be able to access his computer for a period of time, he can pick someone else to give orders in his place.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:27 pm

I think Theblackdog's idea is pretty reasonable since it allows more people a chance to participate in the battle and doesn't totally screw someone who doesn't send in orders one round.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm

I voted yes, however I think the the game host has to decide the timelimit before the first round/day/turn/ect.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:05 pm

Hey, I'm only complaining because I know he was on the forums, but didn't send his orders. If it wasn't for that, I would be willing to wait.
But I like Theblackdogs idea.
everyone < massam

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Moronstudios wrote:I voted yes, however I think the the game host has to decide the timelimit before the first round/day/turn/ect.
This + Theblackdog's idea = The way it should be.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes, host sets rules in the sign-up, if you don't like, don't sign up. And then if you miss, some-one pinch-hits for you. That's how my next one will be.
everyone < massam

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Theblackdog wrote:This is a problem for me. Our house is cleaned by a cleaning service every 2 weeks, so unless I can rebuild the field from last turn's Overwatch shots the battle can't take longer than that. In Brikpocalypse I was able to rebuild the field easily, but I think that it will be pretty much impossible to do this during my next game.

My proposal for turn limits is this: Each forum battle has one or more "seconds" who sign up on the top thread, as usual. If a player does not post his orders within the turn limit, a second is called upon to submit orders for that player's faction. If a player repeatedly fails to post orders, the second can take over the faction permanently. If a player knows that he won't be able to access his computer for a period of time, he can pick someone else to give orders in his place.
It's a good idea, but way too hard to execute. If someone just gets picked to control a faction in the middle of the game, they might feel a bit lost.

But, however, it is a valid idea. Accepted!
Moronstudios wrote:I voted yes, however I think the the game host has to decide the timelimit before the first round/day/turn/ect.
Accepted as well. I am going to include these in the Official Rules.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Can you really set official rules for this? isn't that anti-brikwarsy? How about "Official guidelines"
everyone < massam

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Massam wrote:Can you really set official rules for this? isn't that anti-brikwarsy? How about "Official guidelines"
Noitce that half of the rules aren't obligatory.

(Forum Battles' ones, that is)

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 am

pesgores wrote:
Theblackdog wrote:This is a problem for me. Our house is cleaned by a cleaning service every 2 weeks, so unless I can rebuild the field from last turn's Overwatch shots the battle can't take longer than that. In Brikpocalypse I was able to rebuild the field easily, but I think that it will be pretty much impossible to do this during my next game.

It's a good idea, but way too hard to execute. If someone just gets picked to control a faction in the middle of the game, they might feel a bit lost.
I don't think that getting lost in the middle of a battle is a problem. Seconds sign up at the beginning of the game, so they are by definition interested in the game. If you need a second to step in for a player on turn 3, you can be reasonably sure he will have followed the game up to this point. If not, he can simply use the links in the top thread to bring himself up to speed.