Should there be a time limit for sending orders?

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

Time limit (READ POST FIRST)

Poll ended at Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes.
95%
No.
5%

Total votes: 21

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 am

Theblackdog wrote:
pesgores wrote:
Theblackdog wrote:This is a problem for me. Our house is cleaned by a cleaning service every 2 weeks, so unless I can rebuild the field from last turn's Overwatch shots the battle can't take longer than that. In Brikpocalypse I was able to rebuild the field easily, but I think that it will be pretty much impossible to do this during my next game.

My proposal for turn limits is this: Each forum battle has one or more "seconds" who sign up on the top thread, as usual. If a player does not post his orders within the turn limit, a second is called upon to submit orders for that player's faction. If a player repeatedly fails to post orders, the second can take over the faction permanently. If a player knows that he won't be able to access his computer for a period of time, he can pick someone else to give orders in his place.
It's a good idea, but way too hard to execute. If someone just gets picked to control a faction in the middle of the game, they might feel a bit lost.
I don't think that getting lost in the middle of a battle is a problem. Seconds sign up at the beginning of the game, so they are by definition interested in the game. If you need a second to step in for a player on turn 3, you can be reasonably sure he will have followed the game up to this point. If not, he can simply use the links in the top thread to bring himself up to speed.
Maybe not...

What if the substitute becomes inactive?

(of course, you get another one)
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Honestly, each host should just decide for themselves whether to have seconds, time limits, or giant robots, or whatever. There don't need to be any constraints here.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Agreed. Just set the rules at the start.
everyone < massam

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:12 am

Obviously, there are some rules, like including the Top Thread and such, but excluding someone from a battle because they didn't send the orders 2 days after the last turn was posted?

By the way, IV, 2 days have passed for you as well. You're lucky I have no time limit.

(for the moment, that is)
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 am

IVhorseman wrote:Honestly, each host should just decide for themselves whether to have seconds, time limits, or giant robots, or whatever. There don't need to be any constraints here.
Well, I think they can decide for themselves if there are time limits or not, but they have to state in their top thread that there is no time limit. Other players may not have as much fun if it takes a week for one turn to get over with so they should know ahead of time if that could be the case. I know I wouldn't enjoy putting my orders in the next day and then having to wait four or five days for everyone else to send them, and then have to wait for the actual turn to get posted.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 am

I wanna play it but IV hasn't send his orders yet.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 pm

pesgores wrote:Obviously, there are some rules, like including the Top Thread and such, but excluding someone from a battle because they didn't send the orders 2 days after the last turn was posted?

By the way, IV, 2 days have passed for you as well. You're lucky I have no time limit.

(for the moment, that is)
2 < 5. Also I'm still thinking, jeez.