Coming soon!

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Coming soon!

Post by Theblackdog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm

A preview of my upcoming battle. There are nine playable factions, and two signup slots are reserved for Moronstudios and Silent-Sigfig should they wish to claim them. You won't be able to choose which faction you control until I post the top thread, but Moron and Sigfig don't get any special priority in choosing which factions they control. The top thread will be posted on Saturday.
Since I'll only have two weeks before our house is cleaned and the field must be cleared, I'm instituting a strict rule that orders must be posted within 24 hours of the time I post the turn report. If you don't adhere to this limit, I'll bring in a substitute to take over your faction.

If you want to participate, you should probably read the guide below:

FRICTIONLESS MOVEMENT
Yes, we are using frictionless movement in this game, because in space there is no friction. Before you sign off in disgust, don't worry: I'll be handling most of the unpleasant details for you, and we'll only be operating in two dimensions instead of three, so it should be fairly simple.
1. On the Overwatch shot at the end of each turn, each ship will have an arrow showing where it will end up next turn if it doesn't change course.

2. To change course, pick a spot within the ship's movement range of the arrow's ENDPOINT and draw an arrow from the STARTING POINT to your destination. This arrow represents the path of the ship. An arrow from the original endpoint to the new destination represents the direction in which the ship will be accelerating. This is important, since some ships have fixed-forward weapons. If you don't change course, you can point your ship's nose in any direction you want.

3. If your ship does not change course next turn, it will move the same direction and distance as it did on this turn. Notice that the ship's nose isn't pointing in the same direction it's moving; when there's no air resistance this is perfectly acceptable. If you want to slow down, move back along your original vector. Or just tell me to "brake" and I'll understand what you mean. Seriously, it's not as hard as it looks, and I'll help you learn as we go along. Turn 1 will have a time limit of 48 hours so that I can iron out any difficulties people have, and so that the different allied teams can communicate to form a battle plan.
If you're totally clueless, there are two rival boarding parties (the minifigs in the preview photo, plus some others) but you can't reserve those in this thread, you'll have to claim them first on Saturday. If you don't understand the frictionless movement rules, don't reserve a spot now!

By the way, the ship in this demonstration is the ship which I will be commanding during the battle.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:42 pm

I understand frictionless physics well enough. Sure, throw me in.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

frictionless movement hmm,
simpler than semi friction (planes,hovercrafts)
more complex than full friction
i like it though, in a turn can we turn on corse? and do diffrent ships turn in diffrent size archs or do they all turn on a penny.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Hm, I will certainly try to participate.
Why do MS and S-S have reserves, out of curiousity?

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 pm

tahthing wrote:frictionless movement hmm,
simpler than semi friction (planes,hovercrafts)
more complex than full friction
i like it though, in a turn can we turn on course? and do diffrent ships turn in diffrent size archs or do they all turn on a penny.
You mean, can you make your course into a curved line? Nope. The ships rotate their noses to point in the direction they're moving, and then they fire their engines. They all turn on a penny.

Moronstudios was reserved because in my last battle I gave him a force which was unfairly small and positioned in a vulnerable location. Silent-sigfig was reserved because he a) gave me a space in Bfat and b) took over the Policemen despite the fact that they were down to a last man standing.

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Fair enough. I look forward to what should be a great battle!

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:48 pm

exellent. what are the team choices, so we know in advance?
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Teams will be posted Saturday afternoon. Here's a general Overwatch... the teams are organized into two large, permanent alliances, and their objective is to capture the freighter in the middle of the preview photo. Each alliance has one player commanding a boarding party, three players commanding two smaller ships each (except for me... I have only one ship) and one player commanding a larger ship. Details will come when I post info on Saturday. The exact time I post that info will be determined by the conclusion of Capture the Ark, since I need to re-build some baseplate terrain for the freighter's interior and clear enough space to set up the space battlefield.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Ah. sounds cool.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Update-- finishing CTA is taking longer than I expected. Teams will be up Sunday.

randomno12
Officer

Post by randomno12 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:05 pm

so is it like ships moving around, and battles happen inside ships so you don't have to keep tidying up/doing the battle on carpet?
CAKE OR DEATH? That is the question...

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:00 am

The grey ship in the middle of the photo is a freighter which the two sides are fighting over. I built the interior of the freighter, and boarding parties are competing to capture it. You can't use boarding attacks on other ships.