25%
No
75%

Total votes: 16

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Crankiness

Post by pesgores » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Do you have it in mind during battles with more than 1 hero per team?

I don't.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Remember that you can spend CP to remove crankiness.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

I don't use CP.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Then you're fine.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

But heroes already come with crankiness. By default, sort of.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:46 pm

pesgores wrote:But heroes already come with crankiness. By default, sort of.
sort of. If you're playing without CP, you can "spend" the points to get rid of crankiness, even if you're not actually spending anything. Crankiness only exists to moderate players who actually use CP. Lots of cranky heroes are very cost inefficient, so the player would spend more points on regular troopers. lots of chivalrous (non-cranky) minifigs cost even MORE CP, so the player is also going to think twice before busting them out.

With CP out the door, there's no real reason for crankiness unless you want it there. Some people do because, frankly, it's kindof funny. But most people... don't.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm

with no cp you need limits though like you can only have 15 commando points to train a minifigure to be a commado you spend 1 to train a commando to be a supercommado you spend 1 thats 7 super commandos with point left or 15 commandos.
you could have hero limits.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
sort of. If you're playing without CP, you can "spend" the points to get rid of crankiness, even if you're not actually spending anything. Crankiness only exists to moderate players who actually use CP.
This is a trick, don't listen to him. Crankiness doesn't have a separate CP cost, it's just as much a part of the Heroic Ego as the Heroic Feat. If anything, it makes Heroes cheaper, not more expensive.

Crankiness is in there to discourage players from fielding too many Heroes. The number of Heroes has to be kept small for them to feel properly important compared to regular units, to cut down on the tendency of Heroic Feats to take over the whole game, and to make it more important for players to always defend their rare Heroes with sufficient RedShirts.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:30 pm

crackyness makes a hero cheaper yep, but its anoying if you want two heros who are best buds and will defend each other to the death so i leave it out.

:x these rules are makeing me constipated.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:24 pm

stubby wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:
sort of. If you're playing without CP, you can "spend" the points to get rid of crankiness, even if you're not actually spending anything. Crankiness only exists to moderate players who actually use CP.
This is a trick, don't listen to him. Crankiness doesn't have a separate CP cost, it's just as much a part of the Heroic Ego as the Heroic Feat. If anything, it makes Heroes cheaper, not more expensive.

Crankiness is in there to discourage players from fielding too many Heroes. The number of Heroes has to be kept small for them to feel properly important compared to regular units, to cut down on the tendency of Heroic Feats to take over the whole game, and to make it more important for players to always defend their rare Heroes with sufficient RedShirts.
Wait crap, since when was crankiness just considered a part of Heroic Ego, and not it's own thing? I could have sworn it was one of those (-2CP) abilities or something along those lines!

The Lord High Archron
Hero

Post by The Lord High Archron » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:11 pm

I just give my heros an ability called chain of command, so they don't show crankiness because they are trained soldiers the ability cancels out crankiness.
Archon, Judge, Jury, and Executioner

Doopliss
Hero

Post by Doopliss » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:59 pm

stubby wrote:This is a trick, don't listen to him. Crankiness doesn't have a separate CP cost, it's just as much a part of the Heroic Ego as the Heroic Feat. If anything, it makes Heroes cheaper, not more expensive.
The Knight's Kingdom hero cards have a Crankiness-negator as part of their Knight of Morcia ability. The ability is way too cheap for my tastes, come to think of it.

Me and my brother generally field vastly different armies (Giant creations versus massed infantry being a common one), so we use CP to make sure we're both on the same wavelength and discuss how to balance under-optimized troops outside of it. I agree with Stubby. Heroes are fun, and there are legitimate reasons to field more than one, but lots of over-skilled and over-armored units can cheapen the rest of the battle, and each-other. The -1 per die also provides a nice counterbalance to the increased bonus dice that d6s bring.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Don't worry IVHorseman, I thought it was a separate CP cost for Crankiness, too.

Do you have any idea about the cost the Heroic Ego would give without the crankiness Rayhawk/stubby? I actually don't have Heroes in my two main armies now, just some more high-ranking officers, but when I think of several Heroes on a team I automatically think superheroes.

If I wanted to make a superhero team, they would need something like a Heroic Feat each, but they are a team and work together. Granted, one or two of them might be Cranky because they feel like they're better on their own or other reasons, and THEY would get the Crankiness ability, but the others know how to work as a team.

Maybe another ability is in order that is similar to a Heroic Feat, but less powerful in some way and minus the Crankiness?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:04 pm

OneEye589 wrote: Do you have any idea about the cost the Heroic Ego would give without the crankiness Rayhawk/stubby?...

Maybe another ability is in order that is similar to a Heroic Feat, but less powerful in some way and minus the Crankiness?
Knight's Kingdom's jellybean knights statcards had "chivalry" as an ability which negated crankiness. Check there for CP costs.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:10 am

I'll be honest, I've never played a game where this was called into effect. Most of my group of players just don't care or don't read the rules well enough. Me, personally, I've never used more than one hero, because I barely utilize the one I always have. It's not that I'm not creative enough to come up with heroic feats every turn, I just try to spread the awesome out between all of my units.