Campaign: Dark Shadows

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Zahru
Officer

Campaign: Dark Shadows

Post by Zahru » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Hey there,

I've had a small battle last saturday, which is part of my upcoming series of battles entitled "Dark Shadows".
This faceoff is the prologue.

The warring sides:

A small border guard led by Captain Konrad Lionmane, landlord of one of the backwater regions of the Human Empire.
Border Guard forces
-Landlord Konrad
-A squad of swordsmen(7)
-A squad of pikemen(7)
-A squad of archers(7)
-Knights of the realm(4)
Total: 26

This force had to face a rampaging warband of orcs and skeletons, led by shaman Grishnák.
Invading Forces:
-Shaman Grishnák
-2 Squads of Orkboyz(8/squad)
-2 Squads of skeleton Archers(6/squad)
Total:29

The Field:
It was bit plain, two main props were:
- A murky swamp (anyone entering it will sank) with a ruined tower in the middel
- A small fort/garrison

After rolling the initate, the imperial forces began the battle, by getting into their positions, and so did the invaders. Grishnák used a heroic feat to teleport onto the top of the tower.

The Imperial archers quickly took the garrison's advantage, and climbed onto the safe firing position.

Grishnák succesfully used his heroic feat to enrage the orkboyz, thus giving them 1d6 extra movement.

After the supporting fire from the skeletons (1 pikemen died) the bloodthirsty orks ran into the pikemen squad (Lord Konrad joined them meanwhile), chopping down 2 pikemen; the remaining ones retaliated and slayed 2 orks too.

On the other side the same actions happened (Skeletons fired, orks chopped); killing a swordsman.

The Knights charged into the Skeleton squads, killing 2 from each. An ork also died by the archers.

Lord Konrad used his heroic feat to slay an armored ork instantly, and awesomely.

The pikemen attacked the orks, none managed to kill, but one pikeman died in the counterattack.

The swordsmen attacked the orks, killing one of them, and losing two in the countering.

Grishnák attempted to summon 1d8 rats into the archers position, but failed, and they were summoned to the field instead.

The a squad of skeletons ran away from the knights (the knights managed to take down one), and shot down one from safe distance. The other squad did the same; unfortunately the knights killed the only archer with a quiver.

The pikeman officer slaughtered an ork; it's corpse fell on a rat and squished it.

The orks killed a swordsman.

A knight killed the last skeleton archer with a quiver, disabling the invader forces from ranged support.

A pair of knights attacked the orkboyz from behind; killing two of them.

Lord Konrad executed the ork officer; others failed to do damage.

Field Overwatch.

Grishnák used his heroic feat to cast a deadly fireball in the middle of the archers; five of them died.

The flag bearer (with his squad devastated) ran in panic... right into the swamp, where he sank.

The summoned rats not knowing who's friend or foe, choosed to feast on the fresh corpses.

The remaining 2 archers miracously shot down shaman Grishnák. He fell down from the ruined tower, and flattened a skeleton.

The knights aided Lord Konrad and the pikemen; with their combined attack, the last orks had been killed.

The invading forces had only 3 skeleton archers; they foolishly attacked the swordsmen. Oddly, the killed a swordsman indeed! (what a shame: being beated to death by the butt of a crossbow!)

With a combined attack (a shot, a charge, and a hit) the remaining invaders were obliterated.

The battlefield afterwards:
Lord Konrad Lionmane was succesful; he defended the border against the evil horde. But victory is bittersweet: only 10 of his men survived. The undead mean that this was more than an orc raid. What will happen next? Dark Shadows are crawling as the sun sets...

Jaye Tea
Officer

Post by Jaye Tea » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Epic, orcs are awesome.
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!

Doopliss
Hero

Post by Doopliss » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Aww, Team Nonhuman never wins... Nice writeup.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 pm

That looks fun. You should do a forum battle with squads.
everyone < massam

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:47 am

Yes, this battle only needed one thing to be epic: a better battlefield.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Zahru
Officer

Post by Zahru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 am

Yup. I need more burps baseplates and plants indeed.

Zahru
Officer

Post by Zahru » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey there,
I had a new battle, which is part of the Dark Shadows Campaign: this is the Siege of Lion Pass.
In the previous faceoff, Lord Konrad Lionsmane managed to push back the orc raiding party, but he suffered huge losses, but border attacks became more and more common, so he had to give up some of his outposts.
The last line of his defenses is the fortified border gates at Lion Pass. The invaders are numerous; this will be a bloody battle.

The warring sides were:
23 invaders, led by Warboss Kouzar (14 orkboyz, with ladders, 8 barbarians, 2 with battering ram)
13 defenders, led by Lord Konrad Lionsmane (7 regimental axemen, 5 archers)

The attackers went first, moving onward.
Lord Konrad's men halted their movement for a while, and slew 2 orks.
The attackers quickly surrounded Konrad's forces...
And although their rolls were poor, they killed an imperial soldier, their officer, and Lord Konrad. A tragic loss. 2 of the attackers died in the countering.
A brave axeman sacrifices himself and manages to kill Warboss Kouzar.
Although the archers manage to take down some orks, but the remainder obliterates the axemen.
The attackers get under the walls...
The officer tries to cause some damage by pouring fiery rocks on the invaders, but because of the poor damage rolls, he fails.
A quick Overwatch.
The Siege begins! Orks sclae the walls, while barbarians begin to bash the gates in.
The gates had smashed open, while an ork and an archer dies on the rear end of the wall.
The officer and the archers manage to take down the first ork who reached top, but one of them dies.
While the guys with the battering ram loot some weapons, the barbarians storm the gates...
And they break through! Meanwhile on the walls, two orks and an archer dies.
The barbarians shove the archers down from the wall, and quickly surround them. The cowardly men surrender.
Lion Pass had fallen into enemy hands, and it will become a permanent outpost for the invaders. With the loss of Lord Konrad, the border's are defenseless, the Empire must muster it's forces and retaliate.
Dark Shadows will continue...

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Great battle there, and it seemed a little unfare. Although te walls and archers helped, it didnt do much. Still very nice.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 am

I loved that last battle. Really looked realistic. And historical. I love History.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 am

pesgores wrote:I loved that last battle. Really looked realistic. And historical. I love History.
i think thats all i need to say
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Zahru
Officer

Post by Zahru » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:33 am

jifel wrote:Great battle there, and it seemed a little unfare.
Yeah, unfair indeed; I cheated a bit to make it more "story-oriented", afterall, the humans had a small number of forces, and did not receive any backup since the previous battle... Next time I'll balance it more.

Shaeph
Cannon Fodder

Post by Shaeph » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 am

These were both really cool battles, please make some more!
Spend each day as if it were your last.
------------------------------------------------------
"Weekends don't count unless you do something completely pointless." - Calvin

RJ
Galidor
Galidor

Post by RJ » Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

That resembled the ruins of oscilliath in the third LOTR - shame konrad and the warboss died early

BTW in the first one does the shaman have one of the glow in the dark skulls on the end of his staff? May i ask were u got it from cos i have one and my friend is jealous
dilanski wrote:Have your imaginary balls exploded all over the keypad or something?

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Tue May 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Zahru, I love your battles. They are medieval, and so were these.
I can't wait to see the next battles...but if this would be a school thing, I would give you a A or in Finland, an !0!!!!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 pm

And is that "IMPERIUM" flag self-maded?
Its really cool.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!