I do not use structure damage

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

pesgores
The Dear Leader

I do not use structure damage

Post by pesgores » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:34 am

Never. I prefer the individual brick damage.

This means you can destroy a tank, blast it enough times to exceed its structure level or whatever more than 10 times, but if the controls and propulsion systems work, then it is still maneuverable.

This is what I did with Metal Gear GOOSE's cockpit on my Forum Battle. Only used local damage.

I don't know if this is the best way of proceding. I think I'll start using structure damage, but I'm not sure.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

randomno12
Officer

Post by randomno12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 am

i never got structure damage. I think rayhawk should revise that bit of the rulebooks
CAKE OR DEATH? That is the question...

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 am

My structure damage rules say that the number of structure points the vehicle loses = damage roll - armor roll (if the damage roll is greater than the armor roll. If the armor roll is greater, the vehicle doesn't GAIN structure points). I find this to be pretty convenient; 2 to 3 hits will kill most vehicles with this method.

Doopliss
Hero

Post by Doopliss » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 am

I'm actually thinking of applying Structure Damage rules to Component Attacks. Always got on my nerves that you can one-shot a Size 6 gun if you just beat an already-weakened Structure Level.

I'm having trouble picturing how you can score ten successful hits on a tank without wrecking its engine/controls/treads, though. You'd need to use a lot of overkill rules.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:46 am

i use brick damage this makes high radius weapons very usefull and makes expossed tracks very weak(unless there the new technic ones that for me represent heavy tracks) and weapons that have weak joints bad.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:56 pm

If you are talking about the QuikWars method of damage, then yes! I think it is more realistic and fun that way.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:46 pm

The reasoning for structure damage is that while a smaller target may be more effective (like the treads on a tank or a jet's engines), it's harder to hit that spot, especially with big guns. When doing structural damage, you get a bonus for the size of the object, making it easier to hit (but you'll need more successive hits to destroy it).

Also, some people would rather blow something to tiny pieces than simply kill the crew, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Doopliss wrote:I'm having trouble picturing how you can score ten successful hits on a tank without wrecking its engine/controls/treads, though.
Actually it does. For every point of structure damage something takes, it gets -1" to movement.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm

i use the near miss rules so if you fire at the treads but miss you might hit something else on the tank.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

IVhorseman wrote:The reasoning for structure damage is that while a smaller target may be more effective (like the treads on a tank or a jet's engines), it's harder to hit that spot, especially with big guns. When doing structural damage, you get a bonus for the size of the object, making it easier to hit (but you'll need more successive hits to destroy it).

Also, some people would rather blow something to tiny pieces than simply kill the crew, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Doopliss wrote:I'm having trouble picturing how you can score ten successful hits on a tank without wrecking its engine/controls/treads, though.
Actually it does. For every point of structure damage something takes, it gets -1" to movement.
Well, near miss rule applies.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Right, but a near miss is still a miss. You might hit a different part of the tank, but if you missed the tread, you missed the tread.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:04 pm

But you hit another part somewhere else in the tank, on a range of x" (x being the difference between your skill roll and the UR of the weapon you used), if the range is enough.

You have a tremendous point there. Maybe I'll start using strut dmg for big vehicles/buildings...

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Theblackdog wrote:My structure damage rules say that the number of structure points the vehicle loses = damage roll - armor roll (if the damage roll is greater than the armor roll. If the armor roll is greater, the vehicle doesn't GAIN structure points). I find this to be pretty convenient; 2 to 3 hits will kill most vehicles with this method.
I think I like TBD's rules <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a>, so I woll use those in my next Forum battle. (which will have a lot more vehicles.)

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Jaye Tea
Officer

Post by Jaye Tea » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:09 pm

I just use vehicle hit points, HP= 1/2 size rating rounded up.
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 am

You know what Pes? You're right. Structure rules are stupid. I'm never using them again except for armour values of targets.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 am

One of the nicest things about Brikwars for me is the ease of which you can show vehicle damage on the battlefield. If a jeep gets hit with a sword, it might just lose a mud guard, but with a high-explosive shell it will become very functional battlefield rubbish, which the surviving crew can then take cover and hide behind as they search for a weapon to use.
Were it that simple...