Lets get this thing started!

Elevated-in-age discourse for people who know how to spell and don't live with their moms.

Moderator: Tzan

Who you gonna vote for in the upcoming election?

The black dude.
38%
The white chick.
No votes
That other guy.
8%
One of the OTHER other guys.
15%
I'm not from the U.S., so while I'll be victim to the consequences of this nonsense, at least I won't have to participate, thank God.
38%

Total votes : 13

Lets get this thing started!

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:40 am

Ba-HA! First non-sticky thread on the section!

Lets us discuss something very adult: Politics.
(There has to be a political thread in every forum all over the interwebs, I'm just following regulations.)
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee
TROLOLO
Foggy
Officer

Postby Rayhawk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 am

What are you talking about, there's nothing adult about American politics. It's all a farce in which Fox and CNN jam every different shade and variety of philosophical and political nuance into square peg-holes labeled "liberal" and "conservative" so the whole country can vote by knee-jerk lock-step instead of having to think.

Are all the politicians lumped under "the other guy?" I think I need to edit some more options into this poll.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Tzan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 am

I never vote for the lesser of 20 evils.
I like to make fun of people who actually think that their preferred candidate isn't a liar.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Rayhawk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:08 am

But that reminds me of one of Lego celebrity the Reverend Brendan Powell Smith's news headlines the other day (from thereverend.com):

The Reverend Brendan Powell Smith wrote:Monday 1\22\08 - 9:32 PM GMT
CNN brings you latest on CNN's crappy reporting
America is awash in crappy news coverage of the US presidential race, but leave it to the dedicated journalists at CNN to keep you informed and up-to-date on just how crappy their own political reporting has become. A new story at CNN.com investigates the strongly dissatisfied reactions the public is giving CNN's simplistic and dunder-headed coverage of the Democratic South Carolina primary in which Edwards is ignored as a viable candidate, and the assumption is made that voters will pick their candidate based on whether they decide it's more important that they have the same gender or more important that they share a similar skin color.

My favorite response, as quoted in the CNN article:

Michael wrote:"Since Edwards no longer officially exists, as a white male I face the same choice - either I vote my race (Clinton) or my gender (Obama). Or I could just pick the candidate based on who I think would be best."

Everything's so complicated now! Why can't we just keep having identical middle-aged white dudes? There was something so familiar about coming out of every election comforted by the knowledge that, even though the election went to the worst possible guy, at least it wasn't the other identical worst possible guy.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Tzan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 am

Haha.

Yeah CNN has done this several times before about different things. I have CNN on all day while I work at home. You see one reporter talk about how they suck. Then 10 minutes later Wolf Blitzer is saying the exact thing they were being criticized for. Mind boggling.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:10 am

Rayhawk wrote:Reverend Brendan Powell Smith's news headlines the

Hey, how does this guy publish books that use Legos without getting sued?

Are religious institutions above the copyright law? :)

Funny stuff over there.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby G2 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Isn't it interesting, that the only votes that have occurred in this poll (to this point), are from two people who live outside of the USA. 8)
G2
Hero

Postby PlasmaWrath » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:29 pm

As we all know, this thing will be irrelevant, since obviously Cthulhu will win in the end. Since you know it, THE STARS ARE RIGHT!
PlasmaWrath
Battlefield General

Postby Tzan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:48 pm

G2 wrote:Isn't it interesting, that the only votes that have occurred in this poll (to this point), are from two people who live outside of the USA. 8)

After much consideration here is my vote:

I am from the U.S., so while I'll be victim to the consequences of this nonsense, I refuse to participate in it, Hail Satan. :twisted:
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Almighty Benny » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Hey Mike, would you mind if I just wrote in your name on the ballot? I'm pretty sure if enough people do it, you can win this thing. Also not a bad idea, Tzan. Let's hear it for Rayhawk/Satan '08!
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:01 am

Do your worst! I don't think write-ins are allowed in presidential elections, at least not in any state I've ever lived in.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Almighty Benny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:42 pm

I never claimed they were allowed, I just said I was going to do it. In fact, I might stay in line with the whole retarded aspect of Brikwars and draw it in crayon with a little illustration of you stabbing the other candidates with a knife. Every vote counts!
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Jemulov » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:49 pm

I just wish Ron Paul had achieved more in the primaries. It sucks to have your hopeful ranked behind a douchebag like Guliani. I'm probably going to end up voting for the lesser of 2 evils. I don't like the fact that I don't feel represented enough in our government to make a wise candidate choice.

I hope that one day Americans will finally be smart enough to realize that politics needs to be a more serious issue than what it is today: A fucking beauty pageant.
Space for rent.
Jemulov
Champion

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:49 pm

I think the office of the presidency has always been intended as a beauty pageant; his (or soon, possibly her) role is as a figurehead, not a legislator.

As president, Ron Paul wouldn't have power to enact any of his ideas himself; only Congress can write legislation. So no matter how good his ideas are, his effectiveness in the role would be determined by his ability to convince legislators of the political necessity of putting his ideas into law, which calls for some form of inspiration other than rambling hypertangential rants. Good ideas are nice to have, but what the day-to-day job of being President requires is someone who knows how to win beauty pageants.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Next

Return to Beer