Has anyone noticed...

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Should we have a standard way of posting Bonus Material?

Yes
48%
No, it is fine how it is
52%

Total votes: 23

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Has anyone noticed...

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 pm

...That none of the bonus materials have been added to the rulebook? I think we should have a standard way of submitting the rules.
I've already thought of something. I just want to know what you guys think before devoting any more time to it.

EDIT: Here is my idea. When you have an idea, you can post it in this forum under *insert idea title here* (V1). After a final descision is made onto the composition of the material, you can start a poll with the following options:

Official
Optional
No

If the majority of people vote either Official or Optional within a week, or you feel it should be either of them, PM the rule to Our Lord and Master Rayhawk, WHO WILL THEN make a descision after reading the thread.

Note that once you start the poll, no changes could be made to the rules you made up, and it is final.

If the majority of people say "NO", don't PM it to Rayhawk.

If Rayhawk does decide to add the rule to the rulebook, then Good for You! It would be rare for a rule to be good enough to be added, keeping simplicity at an acceptable level, and we could actually have a use for this sub-forum! Yay!
Last edited by Greenkey15 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Adding tons of rules to the rulebook just takes up space and confuses newcomers. I say leave it how it is, and if someone wants to put in the effort to find the extra rules, they're right here to be used when they want em.

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:24 pm

There's already a process in place. First, all of the Brikwarriors must gather into one great hall and reach a consensus. Then, we begin several long, tiresome days, weeks, or sometimes months of ominous Latin chanting until we summon the mighty Overlord, who descends from the heavens to make his holy decision...

Seriously, though, I don't know if I like the idea of a 'system'. Usually what happens with rules is that several different schools of thought bounce around for a couple of months and if a significant enough solution or generally agreed upon concept is found, Rayhawk puts it into the rules. The problem with making a real 'system' is that amendments are so frequently batted back and forth that we seldom reach a consensus on any of them.
Were it that simple...

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Adding tons of rules to the rulebook just takes up space and confuses newcomers. I say leave it how it is, and if someone wants to put in the effort to find the extra rules, they're right here to be used when they want em.
It is different when none of the rules we work hard to create and balance end up getting used. And to be honest, I'm sure most BrikWars players haven't even looked at the forums. I know for a fact that before last year, I hadn't even looked at the forums, despite having played BrikWars for a very, very long time before that.

What I'm saying is that we need a system for the great ones to be implemented, not just sitting here collecting internet dust. I think there should be something like we had in 2001 rules, with the smiley, stoic, and frowney faces. Then new players could choose to ignore all the optional rules and focus on the core rules.

EDIT: @ Professor Ken: The problem is that NO rules have been added to the rulebook as a result of this forum. We might as well delete it since the vast majority of BrikWarriors hardly ever look here. If any progress is to be made, a system has to be set in place. I'm going to type up my idea since none of you know what it is.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm

I take the input from here and sneak it into the rules over time, I just don't usually make announcements about it. I like the idea of everyone out there having printouts with slightly different sets of rules.

The main thing preventing rules from getting in the rulebook isn't that they're not good enough, it's that editing the rulebook takes a lot of spare time that I have rarely had over the last year or two. Things should get better now that I'm finally done moving to my new, much better job.

Every now and then I post a list of which ideas I'm developing to add to the rulebook next, and then I go and smash together something completely unrelated to anything on the list.

Right now I've been working on the Introduction chapter that I've been planning for so long, but the Mechanik material is close behind on the priority list. In his case, the rules and text are mostly finalized, but he'll require a whole lot of supporting material and reformatting which make up the bulk of the work in adding him.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:13 am

Greenkey15 wrote: It is different when none of the rules we work hard to create and balance end up getting used. And to be honest, I'm sure most BrikWars players haven't even looked at the forums. I know for a fact that before last year, I hadn't even looked at the forums, despite having played BrikWars for a very, very long time before that.
But a lot of players do unofficially or officially end up adopting bits and pieces from other people's BMs. (sorry, I just had to say that). Vehicle hit points, auto fire, and backstab rules are all examples. If anything, I think that MORE people should post their house rules in Bonus Material, so that we could have more things to pick from. Natalya and Elmagnifico, I'm looking at you.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am

I already proposed this, but instead of adding them directly to the rulebook, create a division on the website or something for it, or even a copy-paste chapter where the accepted rules are displayed.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Re: Has anyone noticed...

Post by james+burgundy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:42 am

[quote="Greenkey15If the majority of people vote either Official or Optional within a week, or you feel it should be either of them, PM the rule to Our Lord and Master Rayhawk, WHO WILL THEN make a descision after reading the thread.
[/quote]ok you are a dimmy so you whould not get this but you can't get mike to do anything he does not want to do yuo can have every member here say they want there name changed to greenpeas and her wont do it so makeing this thing and then sending it to Rayhawk wond do you any good just forget it
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

james+burgundy wrote:ok you are a dimmy so you whould not get this but you can't get mike to do anything he does not want to do yuo can have every member here say they want there name changed to greenpeas and her wont do it so makeing this thing and then sending it to Rayhawk wond do you any good just forget it
Being RH who he is...I don't know.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:11 pm

james+burgundy wrote:[quote="Greenkey15]If the majority of people vote either Official or Optional within a week, or you feel it should be either of them, PM the rule to Our Lord and Master Rayhawk, WHO WILL THEN make a descision after reading the thread.
ok you are a dimmy so you whould not get this but you can't get mike to do anything he does not want to do yuo can have every member here say they want there name changed to greenpeas and her wont do it so makeing this thing and then sending it to Rayhawk wond do you any good just forget it
[/quote]

You call me a dimmy and yet you fail to quote me...
Last edited by Greenkey15 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:40 pm

while you fail to quote him, i might add.

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:33 pm

How did that fail? *facepalm* I pressed the "quote" button!
Last edited by Greenkey15 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:35 pm

It's because you quoted what he quoted, but he did it wrong, too. You failed to close up the parentheses correctly.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Theblackdog wrote:But a lot of players do unofficially or officially end up adopting bits and pieces from other people's BMs.
This was beautiful *sheds tear*
pesgores wrote:I already proposed this, but instead of adding them directly to the rulebook, create a division on the website or something for it, or even a copy-paste chapter where the accepted rules are displayed.
Better yet, that kind of stuff would be perfect for the wiki.
james+burgundy wrote:ok you are a dimmy so you whould not get this but you can't get mike to do anything he does not want to do yuo can have every member here say they want there name changed to greenpeas and her wont do it so makeing this thing and then sending it to Rayhawk wond do you any good just forget it
While this is true, this is actually more likely to get me to do something than anything else, since I often feel obligated to do the opposite of what everyone expects in any given situation.
Greenkey15 wrote:You call me a dimmy and yet you fail to quote me...
This gives me a great idea! First I was just going to say "Just because the guy you're arguing against is a dimmy, doesn't mean you're not a dimmy" but then I thought "in fact if you let yourself get stuck in an argument with a dimmy, that's probably the surest sign that you are yourself a dimmy" (for reference see: bipartisan politics).

And that's when I had my great idea. Previously, as far as the BrikWars universe was concerned, the dimmy curse is spread by dimmy bites, just like zombies and other classic monsters.

But I think it's a better story if people get turned into dimmies by getting sucked into stupid dimmy arguments, which are much more contagious. Are people or people better? Does life evolve, or was it created? Israel or Palestine? Sports team A or sports team B? The second you reach the point that think your opponent's a complete idiot and you keep arguing anyway, BAM! You're a dimmy and you deserve to be put to death and your pants burned to prevent the further spread of infection.

The main source of dimmy infections, formerly national sporting events, is now internet flame wars. Watch to see when Piltogg gets mentioned; that's how you know for sure.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 am

Don't look at me black dog... The only rule I really pay attention to is the Law of Fudge. I don't play this with other people so for me there is no pressure to follow the rules. For one thing I hate how a 1 is always a critical failure and whatever you were doing went completely, whorribly wrong... This means that when you fire a rocket but roll a 1 it should explode and kill your whole squad, or when you miss with a gun you should have shot your teammate in the back of the head. I personally find that to be unrealistic and not fun, so I instead just make them miss or maybe the rocket blows up in the air away from the minifig who fired it. That's not how things should go, but seriously... Between this and that I just don't know all the rules from lack of practice I just end up fudging almost everything.
Rayhawk wrote:Previously, as far as the BrikWars universe was concerned, the dimmy curse is spread by dimmy bites, just like zombies and other classic monsters.
But I think it's a better story if people get turned into dimmies by getting sucked into stupid dimmy arguments, which are much more contagious.
In my little universe, there was the Redneck Plague where minifigs just went stupid and turned into "Hey y'all, watch this!!" type idiots and chaos followed them wherever they went. But the only thing that spread it was the stupidity of individual minifigs infecting other ones until they all turned into a driveling mob. Just thought I'd share.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."