Easy TekLevel

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am

Blitzen wrote:Do you have something against me or do you just like to agitate people?
You're seriously asking whether or not I like to agitate people? Where do you think BrikWars came from?

Answer Version 1: I stand firm against anyone who thinks they're right about anything*, both on this website and in real life. It's kind of the conceptual seed from which all of BrikWars grows. You've just been unlucky lately because you let yourself get caught thinking you're right more often than most of the other folks around here, and my compulsion drives me to oppose it.

Answer Version 2: To look from a different angle, I do my best to disagree with almost everything, but really I think the people who are worried about being right are the only ones who are bothered by it.

* - footnote: I want to especially emphasize here that I make no distinction whether or not people are actually right about anything, because I can't be bothered. Also because that would be falling into exactly the same trap.

Here's my feeling on the subject: all the most terrible crimes and atrocities in human experience, from genocide to arguing with your spouse, can be traced to a single root cause: people who think they're right. All the greatest discoveries and innovations and advances, on the other hand, from inventing the transistor to raising children, can be traced to the opposite source: people who have no idea what the hell they're doing. Therefore as my primary principle, overriding all others, is that I'm against the idea that it's good to value being right about things. Once things start getting too right they need to be made wrong in a hurry. It's the only way to be safe.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:08 am

Well, in my strange twisted and random brain, that more or less translated as: I think it is right to be wrong, And I will make it wrong if you don't.

KAMIKAZECARROT!!
(uhm.. this is my brain i'm talking about, thes random things happen)

Is my interpretation even somewhat in the correct direction?
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 am

Rody wrote: KAMIKAZECARROT!!
(uhm.. this is my brain i'm talking about, thes random things happen)
Meh, close enough.
MOVE ON WIFF ZE TOPIC! Fuchismo, God of Potatoes, demands it!
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 am

Rayhawk wrote:I like this idea a lot, it simplifies that whole system perfectly. I'd just want to add some distinction about unfamiliar devices they be able to use badly as opposed to ones they absolutely wouldn't be able to use at all.
Blitzen wrote:Mike, I think I have a solution. If the means for operation a device is already there (as in pressing a button or pulling a trigger), any minifig can attempt it with a penalty. If the device needs user input (super computer, things that have keyboards) then a minifig can only attempt it if he has the proper training. Hopefully it isn't too hard to determine which it is.
Eh?
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

ninkybob
Champion
Champion

Post by ninkybob » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Ok, a few pointers for life guys.
1.Don't be mean to CaveMen.
2.Don't be mean to each other.
3.Sharing is caring.
4.I like fuzzy bunnies.
5.Rule #2 can be broken when on the internet.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:48 am

aybraus wrote:If an object is unfamiliar to a minifig using it, rolls of both 2 and 1 count as critical failures.
This is almost perfect, I love it. However:
Rayhawk wrote:I'd just want to add some distinction about unfamiliar devices they be able to use badly as opposed to ones they absolutely wouldn't be able to use at all.
Maybe we should go on a case-by-case basis. Clearly there is a difference between a CaveMan operating a supercomputer and a SpaceMan operating a pile of rocks. And also there is a difference between a CaveMan operating a supercomputer and a CaveMan operating the SpaceMan's blaster gun. So it would have to be a "what I say goes roll" that determines when a certain minifig could not possibly figure out how to do whatever it is they're trying to do. But on the other hand, why would a CaveMan even want to operate a supercomputer, having absolutely no idea what one is or what it does?

But then...
aybraus wrote:I don't really think there should be any instance where a minifig can't use an item at all, since it could put a throttle on gameplay and reduce the amount of destruction.
So I propose the following addition:
When the situation dictates*, any roll other than a critical success becomes a critical failure.

* Either by what-I-say-goes roll (or not if you have a cool opponent)
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:23 am

Almighty Benny wrote:So I propose the following addition:
When the situation dictates*, any roll other than a critical success becomes a critical failure.

* Either by what-I-say-goes roll (or not if you have a cool opponent)
I like that!

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Yeah, because of course a CaveMan trying to draw a primitive buffalo in MSPaint would almost always end up with a blue screen and a lot of fried circuits. But you never know, there's always that 1 in 6 chance that he will accidentally run:

{
RedButton = pressed;
bomb.arm(NUKE);

Initiate: _LAUNCH_DA_NUKE(BOMBDABASE.bfb);

return 0;
}

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: I apologize for the above. As I write this I'm sitting here in a programming class bored out of my mind.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 pm

programming != boring;
classroom == boring;

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 pm

facepalm.jpg!

i like it, but i think it should be reserved for only the most SERIOUS endeavors in technological prowess. a caveman who finds a crossbow may still be able to get the gist of what's going on, but great sun-god help him if he stumbles across a particle accelerator.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:38 pm

Maybe the way we need to differentiate is between killing and non-killing devices, since all minifigs have a natural instinct for killing. No matter how complex or unfamiliar a device, if one minifig sees another minifig use it object to try and kill stuff, he gets the basic idea.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 am

Well ok then, let's revert back to our old buddy the CaveMan. I'm pretty sure if he found a TL4 Rocket Launcher lying on the ground he would use it to bash someone's face in before he would ever dream of firing an RPG. But I get what you mean.