Capturing other units.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Capturing other units.

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am

How would you go about this? Is this even fun or will it ruin the spirit of Brikwars. I thought it would be fun to use in a capture the flag kind of game, because it would create more mayhem and fighting to free your own troops from the enemies prison.

I thought it would go a bit like this, but improvement might be necessary:
To make an enemy's Minifig surrender and lay down his weapon you must exceed his skill roll three times with the skill roll from another minifig or minifigs with in a 6" radius. The weapons size from the minifig that is trying to capture another minifig or is being captured is added to his skill roll (the bigger the gun the more intimidating), this also counts for vehicle weapons, so a guy in a tank won't surrender so fast.
Trying to capture another unit costs an action so if the attempt fails the other unit may use an action response to attack them.

also
handcuffs:
-1 hand (the hands are so close to each other that they act as one)
-5 to skill roll
(so hero would still be able to fire pistols and stuff even when handcuffed.)
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am

This is a pretty awesome idea. Usually I like to think that my soldiers are too brave and/or stupid to surrender, but I can definitely see the merits of being able to capture enemy units.

If only to piss off my enemy when he comes to rescue the prisoners and I execute them all right in front of him. He then realizes that I've led him into a trap.

Come to think of it, this would also be very helpful in battles with respawns or medix. Why kill an enemy and let him respawn 2 turns later when I can capture him and torture him for a while? Of course, this mentality could lead to some serious Anorak behavior, so we might consider an amendment that involves captured minifigs escaping.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm

I dunno, i think capturing minifigs in-game would be broken, boring, and lame. Soon they'll have to attend brik-geneva conventions, and we'll have to roll on the ker-delegate! table.

However handcuffs could be totally awesome, as well as "rescue the totally awesome hero" scenarios, where both sides lose if the hero is killed, but one team has to "rescue" him. You'd be able to use handcuffs as a weapon of their size, but instead of doing damage, they just handcuff people.

I'd say that any units with special abilities also can't use them while handcuffed.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:33 pm

use a pokeball.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:35 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I dunno, I think capturing minifigs in-game would be broken, boring, and lame. Soon they'll have to attend brik-geneva conventions, and we'll have to roll on the ker-delegate! table.
Not necessarily. As I mentioned, the main purpose of capturing minifigs would be to lure the other team to your base to save them, and then executing the prisoners in hilarious ways.

Nobody cares about minifig rights, and there is no LEGO UN because the so-called "rules of war" are easily defeated by a good what-I-say-goes roll.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

You could always play a game of hostage extraction with a building full of hostage takers and hostages and some Tactical Assault dudes to storm it all. Hostages are the Objectives but are played by the Host.

However, for in game play why not make it a stun attack to immobilize an opponent automatically allowing capture. Anything else is too close to a Morale issue to work for BrikWars mentality IMO. Think Stun attacks instead. Flash/Bang or Sonic Grenades, Stun settings on Phasers, Baton rounds, Psionic Blast, the list is as long as your imagination.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:06 pm

I would be terrible if I were playing the terrorists. I would probably get bored and start executing hostages for fun, and then immediately get in a brutal firefight with the police when they inevitably storm the building.

Actually that sounds pretty fun.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Indeed. Ok, there would have to be some Hostage Taker Objectives to limit the "Throwing hostages out the 100th story window at the cop negotiator" and other like scenarios but still, I like. Ah, sod it. Throwing stuff out windows at people never gets old, go for it.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:13 pm

I would be terrible if I were playing the terrorists. I would probably get bored and start executing hostages for fun, and then immediately get in a brutal firefight with the police when they inevitably storm the building.

Actually that sounds pretty fun.

So all in all it would be terrible fun?
Last edited by MasterEcabob on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:51 pm

police:"hand over the hostages and we wont shot you"
*terrorists chuck the hostages out of the nearest window*
hastages:*splat*
police:"well they handed them over, what should we do now"
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:27 pm

As I understand it, The Universal Cop imperative

6) If in any doubt. Open Fire!

7) If in no doubt. Open Fire!

Bennanteno
Officer

Post by Bennanteno » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I would say an unarmed minifig in close combat with no weapons near by automatically surrenders. Other than that it's up to the players.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 am

Warhead wrote:As I understand it, The Universal Cop imperative

6) If in any doubt. Open Fire!

7) If in no doubt. Open Fire!
This also applies to BrikWars

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 am

i tried the captureing but didnt use it since a dead unit can't attack your troops or escape, but captured one can escape and then kill your troops.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Plus captured minifigs don't get to die glorious flaming deaths, which means instead of a battlefield full of random gory body piles, you instead get a couple of enemy troopers roped off to the side.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!