BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes: 46

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Hmm. I'd say yeah, but only on large battlefields. On small battlefields that'd just be broken, because you could potentially destroy an enemy ship before they've even had a turn.

Also, beefed the laser batteries under all size categories. That should be enough, if my math is right, to get the effect we're going for.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:11 pm

You would still have to prep the engine for one turn though, allowing enough time for everyone else to shell it into oblivion before it jumps.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:14 pm

C'est vrais... hmm. Alright, I guess that's viable, then.

Hey, high five. One because we're both in High School, and two because we've managed to reach a third page. I dunno why either of those are good things, but they deserve high fives anyway :)

EDIT: Also added in several experimental ship classes all the way at the bottom of the page, I plan on allowing their use in the next few games to try them out. If they work well enough, they'll make it onto the main list. There may be more experimental classes upcoming, so keep a sharp eye out and start developing some cool ideas :)

EDIT #2: Contemplating boarding rules, if only because it would take BrikSpace that much closer to BrikWars. In addition, Freighters (in the experimental section) would make excellent boarding assault vehicles. Troops would be housed in Cargo Bays and bought in a similar fashion to Fighters and Bombers, and several normal BrikWars classes would be available (Captain being a Hero, Lieutenant being a Officer, etc). Let me know what you guys think of this. I'll send a message to TBD asking if I can implement and possibly edit his boarding rules.

EDIT #3: Added in a section under Combat talking about how one fires all of his or her weapons in a round. Figured that'd be important.

EDIT #4: Added the Squadron Rule under Basic Rules, which discusses Fighters and Bombers and how they move in relation to one another and their base ships.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Funny story about high fives. Apparently when my acting camp and I were all backstage getting ready to perform Monty Python today one of the girls tried to give me a high five, but failed because I was trying to put on a huge beard and couldn't see a thing. :?

Anyway, good job on keeping the rules up to date, I'm glad to know that the guy running this isn't just going to put it off to infinity like I would.

Going back through the rules, I noticed that the max movement rate rule makes the light engine completely absolute since any ship that can spend 5 cp on a light engine could also spend 4 cp on a basic engine and go the exact same distance.

Also, while I really like the carrier and the cutter, the corvette seems a bit overpowered since even though it is just a step up from fighter it has a greater max cost than a frigate.

I'm not really liking your rules for the freighter either, since you basically gave it unlimited space but told it it couldn't carry anything. I know you're leaving it out their for boarding parties but I think that if you took away the weapon limit and gave it a mid-range cargo bay along with a relatively high agility rating it would be more useful.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Thanks for going over all of this. I'd be lost without you.

(You're an actor? I am too!)

I'll look into the engine problem. Also, that's why those ship classes are experimental :) I'll fix 'em up.

And I'm not usually this good about keeping up with stuff. I've just been REALLY hyperfocused on this the past few days. Still hasn't died off.

EDIT: What do you think of the Squadron Rule?

EDIT #2: Speaking of boarding and related issues, I have NOT received a PM back from TBD, nor have I seen him on the forums at all recently. I refuse to start formulating rules without his okay, so that'll have to be postponed until further notice.

EDIT #3: Going back through, I realized that I don't actually know how to fix the engine problem. Any ideas, Ecabob?

EDIT #4: Freighter was meant to be a support vehicle, even minus boarding. It's basically meant to tag along BEHIND the rest of the fleet and provide extra missiles, and also to take a lot of Sensor Packages, to give a bunch of ships large bonuses to their attacks. It wasn't meant to take lots of actual fighting stuff (for lack of a better term). Although, you prove a good point: I'll change it, because it shouldn't be up to me, it should be up the player. What the player uses the Freighter for in-game is the player's business.

EDIT #5: And on the subject of the Corvette, I'll change the description so that it states they're a step above Frigates. That nestles Corvettes neatly in between Cruisers and Frigates in terms of pricing.

New Entry for the...

Freighter: This ship class was designed as a military means of transportation. This class of ships receives a Medium Cargo Bay, which can be filled with anything except Fighters, Bombers, and Cutters. No limits on weapons. Max Cost: 10 Cp. Agility Rating: 10

EDIT #6: Added in the Missile Barge.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:19 pm

I know what you mean about being hyper-focused, usually I get super focused about some project far off in the distance and keep that up all throughout the planning stage only to loose all interest when it comes time to actually implement it.

{And yes, I absolutely love acting! Even though I've never been picked for a lead role in our school plays I have a lot of fun just acting. In fact Theatre Arts is my only non AP classes next semester, and it is pretty much the only thing I have to look forward to.)

Anyway, the squadron rule is great, especially the part about movement. However, the cutter seems a bit broken since they completely outclass fighters. Perhaps you could make it so they can't form up with a squadron? Either that or change their agility rating to 12 and change the fighters rating to 14. Or both.

The missile barge is awesome though, the possibility of firing off 16 missiles at once is amazing, I'm just itching to test it out!

As for your engine problem, I think the best thing to do would be to change the max ship class and tweak the movement a little bit. I think this would work alright:

Basic Engine: Maximum Ship Class: Flagship. Movement: 2". CP 3
Light Engine: Maximum Ship Class: Dreadnaught. Movement: 5". CP 6
Fast Engine: Maximum Ship Class: Destroyer. Movement: 8". CP 9

That way the costs go up in increments of 3 and flagships aren't forced to spend 11 cp for warp engines if they don't want to. Plus the other ships are actually getting a 2" bonus in speed for 3 extra cp, just like you wanted them to.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:32 pm

A'ight. I'll look into all of those, as soon as I finish my podcast with kidko.

EPIC UPDATE: The rules are now in a more official looking PDF format!
-=[ Visage ]=-

kidko
Officer

Post by kidko » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 pm

So, Olothontor and I were talking, and we started discussing the Warp Drive. It's fairly useless for anything but moving a Flagship around (not too hot at that either), but the concept of an engine that warps space is interesting.

We basically decided that there's no reason a competent/drunk mechanic couldn't tweak the drive a little and make this warp pretty dangerous. Not to the ship, of course, but to the other ships within the gravity warp.

So, we're still working on the radius of this warp and whatnot, but here's how it works:
Normal use: everything in the radius gets transported along with the ship. We don't know how far or anything like that, but this is just the normal/default way of using such a drive, aside from 2"/turn movement. We're considering 10" warp in any non-off-the-map direction.
Evil use: Rig it to destroy all ships in the warp radius. You have to roll 1d6; on a critical failure (1) the engine also takes the drive-equipped ship with it when everything implodes.

Note that using the drive in either of those two ways takes a turn to prep, which should give everybody enough time to run away.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:12 pm

I finally read through the rules, and the movement seems very similar to the Wizkids Pirates game...I might have to play this....now, where are all my little pieces.
everyone < massam

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:14 pm

You should definitely let me know how it goes. We are still in the playtesting stage, so to speak, and anything you find that's weird or doesn't seem to work right we need to know about, in order to fix and adjust and make better, etc, etc, etc.

I do thank you for your interest, however!
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:21 am

Yeah, talking to Olothontor for three pages sure is interesting, but I'm plenty glad to see someone else posting here too.

BTW are you going to keep updating the google link in the first post as well as the pdf version or is it pretty much obsolete now?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:19 am

No, both should be updated. The way it should work is that I'll update the Google page, and then kidko will update the PDF (he has the means to do so more than I do).

And I'm glad you think I'm interesting.
-=[ Visage ]=-

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 am

It might be just me, but it seems a little odd that my 19-inch flagship can only carry 26 cp of extra crap. (it's 19x10 inches, by the way).

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:49 am

How's that odd? I'm not sure I get your meaning there. Flagships are the biggest you can take, and therefore get a lot of extra crap inherently. Plus, most of the things that are exclusive to Flagships are rather expensive, so it'll use up a fair amount of that. The Gravitic Warp drive, for example, cost 11 Cp, and thus leaves you with only 15 Cp.
-=[ Visage ]=-

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 am

I'm saying that i don't get enough extra crap. if it's that big, it just doesn't feel right to give it a railgun and warp drive and a couple of lasers and let that be all.