The infantryman's firearms.

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Foggy
Officer

The infantryman's firearms.

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Its 9pm, and I wanna stat something.
So I'll do the basics of firearms.

Pistol & Rifle are already done and will be used as the foundation of the weapons I will stat.

Magnum
Size S
Cost 4
Use 4
Range 6"
Damage 1d8

Machinepistol
Size S
Cost 4(if your Automatic Fire costs extra)
Use 3
Range 6"
Damage 1d4
Notes Automatic Fire 1.
(Use whatever Automatic Fire rules you agree on, but you can only use Auto once before it needs reloading.)

Shotgun
Size M
Cost 5
Use 4
Range 6"
Damage 2d6
Notes Bukshot.
(The shooter can choose to hit one target for 2d6 damage, or two adjacent targets for 1d6 each.)

Submachinegun
Size M
Cost 5
Use 3
Range 9"
Damage 1d6
Notes Automatic Fire 1

Assault Rifle
Size M
Cost 6
Use 3
Range 12"
Damage 1d6+1
Notes Automatic Fire 1

Sniper Rifle
Size L
Cost 8
Use 4
Range 12"*
Damage 1d10
Notes *Hi-Power(if the shooter sits still for one turn, he has unlimited range until he moves again)

Machinegun
Size L
Cost 8
Use 4
Range 12"
Damage 1d6+1
Notes Automatic Fire 3(can go Auto 3 times before reloading)
If mounted on a vehicle, it receives infinite Auto.

Rocket Launcher
Size L
Cost 9
Use 5
Range 12"
Damage Depends on rocket
Notes

Comments? Critics? Suggestions? Post 'em.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 pm

sniper rifle's been done and is bumped to a UR of 5 and range of 15", and the sniping ability done for a specific unit type. but then again, these are your rules, not mine.

Heavy machinegun is something i've been trying to really nail good, but i want to decide on good autofire rules before i affirmatively decide. The way i want to see it done, is that it damages everything in a cone with some reasonable amount of damage (damage dealt depending on cone size: i'm thinking 1d10 - fingercone size). after that, any unit caught in a machinegun's fire for more than one turn is pinned by suppresive fire, and can only move at half speed, with no other actions besides crying. sounds pretty sick to me.

And finally the shotgun: i like the ability for multiple targets, but i've also been trying to come up with a system that shows the cone from a buckshot doing more damage close-up, and less damage from far away. keep in mind that a shotgun actually has MASSIVE range due to it's buckshot, but damage is inversely proportional to range.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 am

yes, please make stats for shotguns!

I prefer the kind that fire large, armor-piercing, limb-severing, high-impact metal slugs to buckshot, but the concept is still there.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 am

IVhorseman wrote:sniper rifle's been done and is bumped to a UR of 5 and range of 15", and the sniping ability done for a specific unit type. but then again, these are your rules, not mine.
Oh, I'll probably use that one then. :D
IVhorseman wrote: Heavy machinegun is something i've been trying to really nail good, but i want to decide on good autofire rules before i affirmatively decide. The way i want to see it done, is that it damages everything in a cone with some reasonable amount of damage (damage dealt depending on cone size: i'm thinking 1d10 - fingercone size). after that, any unit caught in a machinegun's fire for more than one turn is pinned by suppresive fire, and can only move at half speed, with no other actions besides crying. sounds pretty sick to me.
Hmmm...I like that idea for supressive fire. Could be a nice addon for the MG.
IVhorseman wrote: And finally the shotgun: i like the ability for multiple targets, but i've also been trying to come up with a system that shows the cone from a buckshot doing more damage close-up, and less damage from far away. keep in mind that a shotgun actually has MASSIVE range due to it's buckshot, but damage is inversely proportional to range.
Meh, as much as I'd love to snipe with a shotgun (Half-Life anyone?), I just find it easier to do it this way. Emphisis on close-range, gonna-f*cking-kill-you kinda damage.
Last edited by Foggy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Yahtzee

Matt
Officer

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:28 am

For a shotgun I think that within say two inches it does either double damage, or just an extra d6.
"One can never have enough miniguns my friend."
I hope I get to say that Someday.....
My Flickr
http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vi ... &ref=flink

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:53 pm

the way i had it in oldentimes was that the shotgun started at 3d6 UR 5 for damage. for every 6" out, the shotgun lost a point of damage and a UR level, and hit everything in a 2 finger cone.

doubletaking at massive 3d6 damage, i'm dropping it to 2d6. it then loses a point of damage for every inch away the target is, and UR drops stay the same. of course, this is all off the top of my head, and is based on absolutely nothing.

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:35 pm

IVhorseman wrote:doubletaking at massive 3d6 damage, i'm dropping it to 2d6. it then loses a point of damage for every inch away the target is, and UR drops stay the same. of course, this is all off the top of my head, and is based on absolutely nothing.
That would cause sniping with the shotgun.
Meh, I just find the Bukshot rule a bit easier to digest. I dunno.
-Yahtzee

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 pm

it becomes more or less innefective past 10". 2d6 minus ten on average is -2. but there's still the slight chance that it miracurously does massive damage, and at 18 inches away a -18 still yields a 4 or more. hooray critical success!

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:24 am

IVhorseman wrote:it becomes more or less innefective past 10". 2d6 minus ten on average is -2. but there's still the slight chance that it miracurously does massive damage, and at 18 inches away a -18 still yields a 4 or more. hooray critical success!
Which is why there is a 6" limit on it. ^_^;;
-Yahtzee

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm

yeah but.... dude! crit success!

haha no, i know exactly what you mean though. you've probably got it as good as it's gonna get, but it still feels like something's missing.

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 pm

IVhorseman wrote:yeah but.... dude! crit success!
haha no, i know exactly what you mean though. you've probably got it as good as it's gonna get, but it still feels like something's missing.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It lacks...something.
It could be the little "umph" in the range. But a little bump may send it into competition with the SMG (which it will loose).
Play around with it, find the kinks and report them.

When I look at this I think of a stagecoach fight, where the guy riding shotgun is blasting a bandit off his horse. Like the opening battle in the recent version of "3:10 to Yuma".
-Yahtzee

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:58 am

Apart from sniper rifle, which IV mentioned before, I have only to comment on three guns. Other I can't really make up anything to say.

1: Rocket Launcher.
Done. That's just a more expensive and difficult version of Long-Ranged Weapon, which can be used as a Launcher.

2: Shotgun.
I really like that, but I say the damage should be more like this:
0-4": 2d6
4-6": 2d6-2
Or something like that, just to make it more effective on closer combat. But yeah, this shotgun really has the 'real' feeling on it. Good job.

3: Machinegun
I'd say increase the damage and have it hit everything in a certain arc as long as skill is enough. Here's an example of damage, which I just threw together without really thinking it.
0-5": 2d10
5-9": 2d6
9-12": 1d6/1d6+1

Apart from those, you've done pretty good job.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm

i actually had a bunch of old rules for rocket launchers (yes plural, i had like 5 total) for how rocket launchers worked back in older rulesets. (my entire weapon setlist was on the frappr, but now i look back at them and wonder why i thought 1d6+2 was a better idea than the easy to roll, explain and remember 1d6).

my oldest, standard rocket launcher was two handed, 16", and had a max payload of 3d10 damage rockets (Mk. III for those who "nevar forget!"). it also took a full turn to reload, and required a new rocket for every shot (rockets are easy to build physical representations of, so this actually works). also also, it cost -1" to movement, and had a UR of 5.

today i look at it, and all i really see is dropping the range to 12". other than that, i'd keep it the same.

as for the whole rocket ammo thing, i solved this by making the rocketier class. while anyone can use a rocket, the rocketier can use it better than anyone else. he has -1 skill to any weapon that isn't a rocket launcher and +1 to using a rocket. on top of this, he could produce a 1d10 rocket every turn, or add 1d10 damage worth of "boom" to an existing warhead.

from this, this means that a rocketier could fire a 1d10 rocket every other turn, more accurate than anyone else. he would also not take the -1" movement penalty from the launcher (although i think his movement was permenantly at 4" anyways).

as for other rocket launchers, i basically followed this:

*a rocket launcher with a scope can be upgraded for a CP cost to have a computer targeting system. any minifig who spends a turn to aim the targeting system at a fast moving vehicle could instantly remove all the skill penalties for movement that would normally have to be dealt with.

*a smaller, one handed launcher (i called it the micro-launcher) existed, which had a max payload of 1d10 rockets.