Gang Fight Supplement (in progress)

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

More Dakka
Champion
Champion
Location: In the marmelade forest, between the make-believe trees.

Gang Fight Supplement (in progress)

Post by More Dakka » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Tentative Title: Streets of Anarchy

I've been working on this thing off and on for a while (quite a while, mind you, so don't expect any significant results soon). The basic idea is have a supplement for handling campaigns with a small group (your gang) of units with the elements of tactical roleplaying games: experience, between-game shopping, and so forth. My game is something like Necromunda (actually, exactly like necromunda) by GW, and in addition to the new game elements mentioned before, I'm tweaking the BW rules a bit, to give units more (just a few, I promise!) stats, thus making them more unique, throwing in a lot of 2001 stuff for skirmish-level games, and equipment lists that give more interesting weapons (many probably stolen (with permission) off the forums) and clearly-defined bits and pieces like Billingsly's autofire rules. Basically, I'm just trying to make everything more cohesive (and thus more like a real supplement).

As for the setting, I'm definitely not using Necromunda's titular Hive World. I came up with a few crappy (mostly modern) settings that would be more generic, but none of them really did it for me. However, after watching all of Batman Beyond, I've decided 2030s/40s Gotham City would do just fine with a little reworking. As I just made this decision, I haven't started yet, but I plan to rework the timeline to make it more suitable to a gang fight game, getting rid of Batman, among other things. I think I'll say the Joker succeeded in killing him, Bruce Wayne, Commissioner Gordon, and D.A. Sam Young in BB: Return of the Joker, resulting in a crime surge. The show has plenty of weapons and nasty equipment I can use, after I make it more realistic/deadly. I might need some help tracking down specific stuff that the DCAU fan sites don't elaborate on as much, like that crazy-ass growth hormone.

This game has been in the works for a long time, but now that the school year's over I should be able to spend a lot of time with it.

Feedback?
They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many- so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Seems interesting so far. Rules, of course, would be nice.
And i think it's lacking something... perhaps, you could add more dakka?

More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Post by More Dakka » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Here's some semi-functional excerpts:

SA.1.1 New Stats
----------------

Along with other changes to the BrikWars rules, units are given two additional stats to make them more detailed. For the sake of simplicity, they are modeled after the WH40K stats used in Necromunda. These new stats are Wounds and Leadership.

SA.1.1.2 Wounds and Taking Damage
-------------------------------

Though most soldiers go down when their AVs are penetrated, some fighters are tough enough to keep fighting. This is represented by a secondary defense statistic called Wounds. Though most units in the game still only have one wound point, which means they behave like a normal unit, particularly tough units may have two or more points in their Wound stat. A fighter loses one wound point when he would normally be killed (i.e. his armor roll has been penetrated). When he has no wounds left, he must roll a d6 to see what happens to him.

1 Flesh Wound
The fighter is hit hard but bravely keeps fighting. He loses 1 point of skill for the rest of the current battle. The next time he takes a wounding hit, roll again.

2-5 The unit goes down. He is on the ground, barely conscious and dying. To represent this, lay the minifig prone. Units who are down lose 2 points from their skill, move, and armour values until they are taken out of action or until the end of the battle. They are only allowed to either move or make an action each turn; not both. If he is wounded again, he goes out of action (see below)

6 The unit goes out of action. It is removed from the game table and may die or sustain serious injuries (SA.4.1)

SA.1.1.3 Leadership and Testing Morale
--------------------------------------

In addition to the wounds stat, units in SoA have another one called Leadership. Leadership represents the unit's composure in battle and its ability to stay in control even when it is being blown to hell. The standard starting value for leadership is the same as its skill (base 1d6). Whenever it takes a wounding hit, or when a friendly unit within 5" goes down or out of action, it must take a leadership test. To take a leadership test, roll the unit's leadership. If the roll is equal to or greater than 1d6 + every wound the unit has lost, the unit is able to grit his teeth and fight for another round. If not, the unit breaks. If a unit is broken, it spends every turn running as far as it can away from the enemy. Whenever it has a chance to act, it uses its action to move its full movement value towards the edge of the field and forfeits its attack to dash in the same direction. Immediately after it does this it is allowed to make another leadership test. Once a unit regains its morale, it may act normally on the following turn.

And some basic units to put the stats in context:

SA.3.2.1 Initiates
-------------------

Cost to recruit: 20 Credits
Initiates are little more than violent guys picked up off the street who think they can make a name for themselves by fighting for something. Initiates may be armed with weapons on the Close Combat, Pistols, and Grenades list. Recruits all have the following base stats:

Move: 4"
Armor: 3
Wounds: 1
Skill: 1d6-1
Leadership: 1d6-1

SA.3.2.2 Fighters
----------------

Cost to recruit: 50 Credits
Fighters are the core of any warband, and they are based on the Brikwars Trooper stats. They may be armed with weapons on the Close Combat, Pistols, Basic, and Grenades lists.

Move: 5"
Armor: 4
Skill: 1d6
Leadership: 1d6

SA.3.2.3 Leaders
----------------

Cost to recruit: 120 Credits
A gang can only have one leader at a time, and all members of the gang look up to him. If a gang leader is knocked unconscious or killed, then every member of his gang must immediately make a morale check, and continue to do so at the beginning of every turn until he is revived. Leaders may be armed with weapons from the Close Combat, Pistols, Basic, Special, and Grenades lists.

Move: 6"
Armor: 1d10 (Generally Simplified to 6)
Skill: 1d10
Leadership: 1d6+1

SA.3.2.4 Heavies
----------------

Cost to recruit: 60
Heavies are expert fighters that specialize in bringing the really big guns. Besides possessing the strength needed to hoist and carry heavy weaponry without slowing down too much, they possess magnificent skill in order to both use and maintain those weapons. Due to their immense strength, they also do a lot of damage in close combat. Heavies may be armed with weapons from the Close Combat, Pistols, Basic, Special, Heavy, and Grenades lists.

Move: 4"
Armor: 1d6
Skill: 1d6+1
Ballistic Skill: +1
Leadership: 1d6
Specialties:
2 Power (See notes on power in BW2001) Among other things, damage done by close combat weapons is multiplied by 2.
Mechanical Expertise: if a close combat, pistol or basic weapon is broken during a battle, a Heavy may use an action to repair it. These fixes aren't permanent, however, and the weapons UR is increased by one. In future battles it may be used normally.

As you may have picked up, the weapons lists will be split into different categories that restrict certain unit types to using different kinds of weapons, making class differences more distinct, particular in the case of 'heavies' (the only ones allowed to have heavy weapons like oversized flamethrowers. Leaders should get their own BFGs, though). Experience I haven't totally worked out, but units with enough experience should be able to 'class up' at some point, giving them access to more badass equipment and character options. Splicing, for example (a Batman Beyond tech that lets you take on animal traits, from leopard spots to scales to full blown werewolf bodies) will give units interesting character options sort of like mutations in many other games (Warhammer in particular). Normal point costs are totally thrown out in favor of a new credit system that lets players collect income from territories and other resources they control and slowly build up their gang. Unevenly matched gangs won't be a problem, as underdogs can either hire mercenaries to even things out or take an 'underdog bonus' to the exp they get.
They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many- so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!

Stuff Is Possible
Hero
Location: Corona, California, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Universe.

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Laughing Man.
Do you dare doubt the possibility?!

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

DAMN IT ALL GOOD IDEAS THAT COME UP HERE WERE ALREADY THOUGHT BY ME but I never got really into them.

TL;DR but it looks good from the points I've read.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Post by More Dakka » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:28 am

pesgores wrote:DAMN IT ALL GOOD IDEAS THAT COME UP HERE WERE ALREADY THOUGHT BY ME but I never got really into them.
I think that applies to a lot of us.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 am

More Dakka wrote:
pesgores wrote:DAMN IT ALL GOOD IDEAS THAT COME UP HERE WERE ALREADY THOUGHT BY ME but I never got really into them.
I think that applies to a lot of us.
Well most of them don't try it, I tried, just never got really into it.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Post by More Dakka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Semi-working-ness!

All the units and equipment stuff should be working now, more or less, so you can set up a gang as you'd have in the game and just play brikwars with it, but not buy stuff between battles. I need suggestions for a way I can have gangs make money that fits in a generic futuristic setting. Territories, which I started using, don't work that well, and just "all your guys go rob people" is boring. Anyway, hear you go:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfv5r6c3_53dwmjpqgx

More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Post by More Dakka » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:54 pm

I've playtested it now and it works, even if it's a little unbalanced. The rules are a bit of extra paperwork, but seem worth it for the campaign element. Games run from thirty minutes to an hour. I have a small league running, so rules will continue to be added.
Rules
Roster sheet

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 am

Most gangs make money by theft, and that will never become outdated. Try this: whenever a gang member explores a new building, roll 1D6. The number you get, times 10, is the amount of money he finds.

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am

Don't forget car jacking!

More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Post by More Dakka » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:48 am

Theblackdog wrote:Try this: whenever a gang member explores a new building, roll 1D6. The number you get, times 10, is the amount of money he finds.
I like that idea. I think I'll add it as a scavenging scenario.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 am

Gangs could also sell items that they find and don't want/need to other gangs, I suppose. Or you could have a Pawnshop where you could pawn items that you don't need or don't have room for.

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 am

Selling cocaine?

Fulizer
Minifig

Re: Gang Fight Supplement (in progress)

Post by Fulizer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 am

very good
More Dakka wrote:I've decided 2030s/40s Gotham City would do just fine with a little reworking.
how about 1920's america, we need Al Capone to get involved in this!