Brikwars: Plantery Assault Expansion

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Brikwars: Plantery Assault Expansion

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:43 am

Since Games Workshop has just released a new 40K expansion called Planetstrike, I thought I might as well try my hand at writing a Plantery Assault scenario for BrikWars.

First off, here are some useful stats.

Planteries: Planteries are an evolved species of shrubbery. They count as Creations with independent Minds, and can be any Size.
Base stats:
Move 6" (12" for planteries of 3" size or less)
Armor: (Size/3)D10 (round up, can't be less than 1D10). Planteries get -1D10 AV against chainsaws, flamethrowers, and weed killer; they get an additional -1D10 AV if they are attacked by a Plantery Assualt Trooper. Planteries get +1D10 AV against non explosive projectile weapons like heavy guns, rifles, and pistols.
Skill: 1D6
Because of the large number of branches, roots, etc. which Planteries have, they can CC attack as many targets as they want per turn. The total number of Damage D6s which the Plantery may roll in a turn (not counting Critical Success bonus dice) is equal to twice the Plantery's Size. For instance, a 5" Plantery may make 4 attacks which do 1D6 damage each and two attacks which do 3D6 damage each. The Use rating of a Plantery's attack is the number of Damage dice being rolled in that attack plus one.

Plantery Assault Troopers (6cp)
Move 6"
Armor 6 (or TL+3 in 2001)
Skill 1D6+2
Special ability: Drop -- Plantery Assault Troopers are trained in the use of drop pods and grav chutes. On the first turn, Plantery Assault Troopers may use Drop Pods to land at any point on the battlefield; they may also jump out of aircraft, or off of the tops of tall Planteries, without being injured.

Weed killer grenades (3cp each)
Plantery Assault troopers use Weed killer grenades to eliminate planteries. These grenades, when thrown, spray weed killer onto the ground in a circle of 2" radius; any plant or plantery in that area takes 3D10 damage. The weed killer stays in place for 1D6 turns, and does damage every turn. Only Plantery Assault troopers may wield Weed killer grenades.

Scenario rules: The Attackers and Defenders have equal sized armies, but the Defenders may have as many Planteries as they want without paying CP for them (although they do need to pay CP for planteries with special abilities). The Attacker's objective is to destroy all Planteries, while the Defender's is to protect the planteries. The field will ideally contain several planteries and several ordinary, benign plants; the attacker does not know which is which at the start of the game. If a Plantery Assault Trooper attacks what turns out to be a regular plant, his Plantery Assault Trooper license will be revoked and he will become a normal trooper. The attacker takes his turn first.
On the first turn, the attacker may deploy up to 5 drop pods, with up to 5 Plantery Assault troops each, onto any point on the field. (If the battle is especially large, use the general guideline that the number of planteries and plantery assault troops should be roughly equal). Drop pods cannot carry vehicles of any kind (except Dreadnuts), and the attacker may not deploy vehicles on turn 1. However, the attacker may replace up to 4 of the drop pods with Mk.III bombs which explode on impact.
Starting on turn 2, the attacker may bring in air or ground vehicles as well as additional troops (including non-Plantery-Assault Troopers). Air vehicles may come in at any point on the map, while ground vehicles and troops on foot may only appear in areas where there are no enemies within 12". The battle continues until all planteries are killed or the attacking force is routed.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Interesting idea, I'd like to see it in action.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Can normal troopers throw weed killers?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:32 pm

benkim123 wrote:Can normal troopers throw weed killers?
No.

Also, I made up some extra rules to mimic the "stratagem" bonuses that Planetstrike teams get.

Attackers:
Supply Drop (30cp per use) -- deploys up to 20cp of munitions (rockets, weed killer grenades, etc.) at a point of your choice, where your troops can easily find and use them. The 20cp worth of munitions is included in the ability cost.
Stealth lander (40cp per use + vehicle cost) -- allows you to deploy a ground vehicle within 6" of an enemy unit.
Weed barrier (40cp per use) -- allows you to deploy a barrier of weed killer which is 4" wide and up to 12" long. Because the barrier is laid down by vulnerable crop duster drones (you don't have to buy the drones, they're included in the 40cp), you cannot deploy the barrier in an area where there are planteries.
Eclipse (50cp, one use per game) -- orbiting spacecraft deploy a large shadow shield which blocks the sun for 1 turn, interfering with the photosynthetic processes in the planteries. While the eclipse is active, planteries may either attack or move, but cannot do both.
Cowvalry (30cp per unit) -- When a Cowvalry rider makes a CC attack on a plantery, his cow eats the plantery, reducing its size by 1D6".
Drop turret (10cp+weapon cost) -- allows you to replace one of your drop pods with an AV 2D10 turret capable of holding up to 6" of weaponry.

Defenders:
Acorn launcher (10cp) -- a plantery equipped with acorn launchers can spend up to 1/2 its Damage dice on ranged attacks of up to 12".
Acid sprayer (15cp) -- a plantery equipped with acid sprayers can spend up to 1/2 its Damage dice on 2-finger cone attacks with a range of up to 8".
Chemical neutralizer (15cp) -- a plantery with this ability may, instead of attacking, move onto an area contaminated with weed killer and neutralize it without being harmed.
Venus fly trap (20cp) -- when a plantery with this ability CC attacks a Flying unit, the flyer is captured by the plantery and held stationary until the plantery or the flyer is destroyed.
Plantery Assault Assault (15cp) -- a plantery with this ability does not get the usual -1D10 AV bonus when attacked by Plantery Assault Troopers.
Explosive sap (10cp) -- when destroyed, this Plantery produces a 2" radius explosion which does as much damage as the Plantery's original armor value.
Seed pod (30cp) -- instead of attacking, a plantery with this ability may create another plantery with size 1D6".

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 am

I totally inspired this.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:35 pm

501stCadians wrote:I totally inspired this.
Huh? Unless you are a game designer for Games Workshop (in which case, congratulations) or the person who originally misspelled "Planetary" as "plantery" (in which case, sorry, I thought you were j+b) I don't see how you "inspired" it at all. I read the plantery article a few months ago, and thought of it again when I saw the 40K supplement.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm

make rules for vehicle pods which are specialy modified to carrie any vehicle that can fit in it.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm

muffinman42 wrote:make rules for vehicle pods which are specialy modified to carrie any vehicle that can fit in it.
See the "Stealth Lander" special rule. Vehicles are not normally allowed to use drop pods because being able to drop an entire vehicle (as opposed to an infantry squad) anywhere you want would unbalance the game too much.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Theblackdog wrote:
501stCadians wrote:I totally inspired this.
Huh? Unless you are a game designer for Games Workshop (in which case, congratulations) or the person who originally misspelled "Planetary" as "plantery" (in which case, sorry, I thought you were j+b) I don't see how you "inspired" it at all. I read the plantery article a few months ago, and thought of it again when I saw the 40K supplement.
Both! Naw,joking. I was the miss-speller. It was at 4 in teh morn.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Well, it still led to a great BrikWiki article and a spoof on 40K, so it ranks as one of the most awesome misspellings of all time. If I ever host a Plantery Assault battle, I'll reserve a slot for you.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Don't forget me taking it and running with it.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:26 am

OK, OK, you get a spot too.

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:49 pm

ooooh! I want a spot too! I want a spot too!

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 am

i want a slot too! please?
Holy shit, I'm still here?

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:32 pm

doodstormer wrote:Don't forget me taking it and running with it.
HE LIVES