minifigure space (like micro space but far more expensive)

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

what part should i work on makeing?

weapons and weapon size limits
11%
fighters, swarmers and shuttles.
11%
docking
11%
command decks
6%
engines
6%
ship to ship combat
39%
other?
17%

Total votes: 18

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:48 am

Strana wrote:
as to fighters being able to deploy for a limited time cool concept but unless we modify the base rules for thier movement they are not going to have enough time for attack runs ouside of thier own fleets engagement area. and for general munitions lets say this is around 30" max this means that base they would have to be able to fly at least 30" a turn to at least match that envelope really whats needed is a very basic ie not time consuming way to mark manuevering rather than turns that a fighter can spend outside a fighter bay, ie if a fighter is told to take up gaurd station approx 40" from fleet to take on incoming fighters/bombers/space torpedoes then they might be out there for more than a few turns and more than likely they will still have to punch for intercept, incase they miss and other reasons. more later
fighters have unlimited movement, its swarmers that have the limit and you don't want a unit designed primary for defence (normally though "red-shirting").
thought dealing with many swarmers that are defending diffrent ships it might just be better to say they can't move X inchs away from the ship that deployed them, since they could refuel quickly by docking to special docks.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am

Warhead wrote:Ship Class -
to size scale

EX 5-7
ES 8-12
CT 13-16
FG 17-20
DD 21-30
CL 31-45
CA 46-60
BC 61-80
BB 81-100
DN 101-130
SD 131-165
ML 166-200
MT 201-250
MH 251-300
SM 301-400
LN 401-500
JG 501-600

Ok, these are from a space fleet campaign game I used to run. The numbers after the Ship Class have been included ONLY to give an example of scale. YOU DO NOT ASSUME THEY ARE MEANT AS STUD SCALE, OK?!?

Anyway, hope this helps
Assuming a frigate is 100 studs, here are the numbers in studs:
EX 35
ES 60
CT 80
FG 100
DD 150
CL 225
CA 300
BC 400
BB 500
DN 650
SD 825
ML 1000
MT 1250
MH 1500
SM 2000
LN 2500
JG 3000

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Cheers Arkbrik, I like the guide and it's good to see it transferred into Lego studs, I may even give a small Squadron a try but I'll be hard pressed to make much more than a couple of Corvettes and a Frigate. Anything else will be rainbow.

Would a hundred stud ship be within most peoples means? What is typical for these ships?

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:13 pm

ace121 wrote:Those are some pretty good ideas Strana, but I prefer the scientific approach to shields wherein a shield can either block energy weapons or matter projectiles, not both. There was a big discussion about this somewhere here...
The easiest (so far) way I've seen this done is to have Armour and Shields (Yeah, d'uh I know, stick with me here). This is what I can remember of the top of my head...

Shields stop everything but they get depleted so attacks will strip them off one per attack. The Shields need generators so they take up Hull (Stud) space. They may however be repaired and put back online during battle on a successful repair roll (if there is such a thing). Shields cause an interdiction effect against enemy warheads causing them to detonate further away. If there are no more shield then Missiles do better damage.

Armour (Represented by thickness of ships skin, which should be obvious) stops most everything but Laser Energy weapons do double damage (you can put a range mod on this, say at half range to limit the effectiveness if you think it needs it) while particle beams and other fancy stuff you can make up may go right through or even only damage ship systems (Particle Needle Beam that makes a very small hole... in a straight line, through everything for a very short burst, etc and so on). However when Armour is damaged it's gone until repaired at a shipyard.

Anyway just some ideas. Don't know if they are any use.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Why would lazors do double damage to regular old armor?

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am

ace121 wrote:Those are some pretty good ideas Strana, but I prefer the scientific approach to shields wherein a shield can either block energy weapons or matter projectiles, not both. There was a big discussion about this somewhere here...
so would i but we are dealing with massive ships you need to make things a simple as possible of the game can bog down in meaningless minutiae. I would love ray and or physical shielding differences but thats one more thing to track. i mean were talking about ships that have contingents on board maybe in HTH fighting while blazing away at some nearby enemy hulk, while launching/recovering fighters. movement and everything else.

as regards to my shield rules its basically like buying a gun or something similar as it can be mounted outside or inside the ship. once mounted it provides a varying level of affectiveness via d10's you have as many d10's to pull out of a pool as you have inch structure of shield generator these d10's basically stand in for nomal SL dice and can help boost resistence to damage, but once that pool is exhausted its gone, for that turn. as a part of a structure they count as 2 less than the SL or the structure they are riding on and have hp's equivalent to thier length
so its just like the main 2005 rules when targeting part of a moc instead of the whole moc. keeping it easy.
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am

birdman wrote:Why would lazors do double damage to regular old armor?
Because in the game I ran ablative Armour hadn't been invented yet, you'll need to evolve to a higher Tech level with experience. Everyone started at Tech Level 1 but in the game you could R+D all sorts of ship stuff and evolve your fleet and tactics with your choices of refits. probably not wanted here though.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:13 am

here are some examples i pulled from another thread, just to give you an idea of what im trying to accomplish thruogh the shield fules and thier odd specifics

example:
a minifig within 3" of the ship decided to disable an AA battery that has been giving his buds trouble, and blew up his fighter. he is within 3 inches of the hull so the shields don't absorb any of the attack.

example 2:
a massive missile bombardment hits the ship, seeing that the opponent is hitting with 6 class V missiles the defender decied that his hull SL of 4 and armor rating of two can pick off some of the missiles, so he has his shields spend 10 die to lessen the blow. the defender rolls 7,7,4,5,3,1,8,9,6,5,7,6,4,6,5,7= 90. while the attacker rolls, 1,4,6,2,5,4,5,3,8,6,7,5,6,3,4,2,6,5,7,6,4,5,6,4,2,8,7,9,9,5=151
this is survivable as his hull section takes one SL of damage compared to
5 points of SL that would otherwise be taken. (consider the first 4 numbers 7,7,4,5 to be the sl of the hull and the numbers 3,1 to be armor)

in example one this gives the minifig/robots to be a very usefull asset as it means that landing on a targets ship hull to disable close in weapons systems or shields or other devices of destructive motive or other nature. to be usefull so that then thier fighters and ships then have a clearer means of destroying a target vessel.

in example 2 this uses say ten out of a 14" shield generator(10 out of 14), so if another attack on the same turn happens it could overwhelm the shields. and ass long as the shield generators are not destroyed then the shield come back up next offensive round of a player.
DARN

ace121
Cannon Fodder

Post by ace121 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:30 am

I'm still wondering how docking should be rragned for boarding. Perhaps some kind of moonbse-esque uniform docks on each side of the ship must be fitted? Or ignore it and fudge the actual docking?

"I am Aceman, bringer of quote"

Bluehawk2000
Officer

Post by Bluehawk2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 am

Well, a full scale space war, as awesome as it would be, is impractical for more than a coule smaller SHIPs, it would be hard for most people to do a 1 on 1 with to ships the size of Natalya's.

There are two solutions I've thought of that might be more possable. The first is using Brikspace rules and ships, but makeing the interiors of the ships seperatly in minifig scale. The other thing that could be done is making the ship in the scale Lego used for the minifig scale Star Destroyer, Venetor-class, and the new Blockade Runner.

But full scale is still <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> better if it was possable.

Edit:
ace121 wrote:I'm still wondering how docking should be rragned for boarding. Perhaps some kind of moonbse-esque uniform docks on each side of the ship must be fitted? Or ignore it and fudge the actual docking?
I've seen <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of SHIPs with moonbase ports on them so that would probably be the best way to do it.
NatalyaAF wrote:I declare you God of LDD.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:16 am

Actually, you don't need to dock ships for boarding. Troops can transfer between ships which are close together using jet packs or just jumping off the hull and floating over to the other ships (no gravity, remember?)

Natalya needs to do a minifig scale space battle.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm

If you wait a while I will have finished my huge weapons supplement for 2005 and you could use it with this.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 pm

new Blockade Runner
It's not a Blockade Runner it's a Corellian Corvette and Lego can go suck my piles. :?

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:04 pm

I think that your trying to apply long complex rules to something as simple as ship classes.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:24 pm

i think were over naming things its just i nice backround for bragging, be cause bragging can be awesome. currently were trying to move on to shield/armor systems large ship docking, boarding etc
DARN