Should flamethrowers be given their own stats?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Should flamethrowers have their own stats?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 40

tommahoney
Battlefield General

Should flamethrowers be given their own stats?

Post by tommahoney » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Flamethrowers and similar things with a cone of fire stretching from the barrel of the weapon, don't fit into any of the main categories. Of course we can make the stats our selves, but it would be nice to have stats in the big book! What do you think?

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:42 am

B to the U to the M to tha' P

BUMP!!!
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:59 am

it depends. some flamethrower cover a large area and those i would give the stats of a minigun, but it sets things on fire. others fire a funneled stream that i would give the stats of a rifle, only it sets things on fire.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:53 am

Flamer and Heavy Flamer. Two sets of slightly different stats?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 am

You can make a flamethrower really easily by just taking a standard weapon like a pistol or a rifle, and instead of doing damage, it lights things on fire, leading to all of the effects associated with being on fire.

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Elmagnifico wrote:B to the U to the M to tha' P

BUMP!!!
:studgod:

LocoJoe
Champion
Champion
Location: Neck deep in bat-piranhas(the worst kind of piranhas).

Post by LocoJoe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Here are some stats that I came up with.
COST: 10cp
RANGE: a cone of a 66 degree angle 10'' long
USE:4
NOTES: do not need to role to see if it hits because flames are everywhere within the cone, if it does enough damage to kill it obliterizes any target within the cone WITHOUT ENEMY RESPONSE.

feel free to criticize.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Here are mine as per ZZD.

Flame Pistol/Heat Pistol etc

Flamer

Range: 6"

Use: 3+ to hit the target.

Damage: 2D6 on the first turn, 1D6 on the 2nd if still alive.

Special: Area effect. Roll 1D6/3" radius from target. Everything in the area of this radius and along the line to the flamer are hit on a 4+ for the same effect, damage is rolled separate (or just once for quickness). May set fire to stuff in that area of effect on a 5+ for the same damage.

Heavy Flamer

Range: 10"

Use: 3+ to hit the target.

Damage: 2D6 on the first turn, 1D6 on the 2nd if still alive.

Special: -1 from troopers movement. Area effect. Roll 1D6/2" radius from target. Everything in the area of this radius and along the line to the flamer are hit on a 4+ for the same effect, damage is rolled separate (or just once for quickness).
May set fire to stuff in that area of effect on a 5+ for the same damage.

Mostly this weapon as stated above should only harm lightly armoured and non-armoured units. You want to take out a tank, either combine your flamers or Molotovs or buy a suited better weapon, flamers aren't anti-tank weapons and yes, ok, fire can be used against armour but like all games mechanics you can't get an exact fit with stats.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

There are too many types of Flamethrower

Napalm
>Spray
>Stream
Gas
>Delayed
>Non-Delayed
Chemical
>Acidic/Toxic
>Highly Flammable

I would use all of them in a single match.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:05 pm

LocoJoe wrote:Here are some stats that I came up with.
COST: 10cp
RANGE: a cone of a 66 degree angle 10'' long
USE:4
NOTES: do not need to role to see if it hits because flames are everywhere within the cone, if it does enough damage to kill it obliterizes any target within the cone WITHOUT ENEMY RESPONSE.

feel free to criticize.
:necro:
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:36 pm

:rule7:

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Alternatively:

Flamethrower
Cost: 10 CP
Use: 4
Range: 12"
Damage: D8*
Special: On a successful hit, instead of killing a target, the target is set ablaze. Targets on fire take an extra D8 damage at the beginning of each of their turns.

Basically, if they're hit, they're on fire until it kills them.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 pm

I like Warhead's stats the best. The flamer is powerful but not too overrated. I would however lower the range even more to 5" and 8" respectively. 6" and 10" are ranges on normal pistols and rifles and should have a farther range than a flamer, especially with the area effect ability of the flamer. A person with a flamer could still target an enemy beyond 5" or 8" with the extra area effect making his actual range 8" and 10" respectively. It's just a little harder to hit a guy that far. (Use 4 as you stated for area effect.) The 1d6 damaage next turn is a nice touch as well.

As for different types of flamer, this "flamer" weapon type is just a generic term. Simplicity. Just as you can call a "gun" all kinds of different names and have all kinds of ammunition. The point is that this is a weapon with an area effect.

As for cost, this is a two handed minifig weapon with the damage rating of a size two weapon. (Even the normal flamer should be two handed.) Therefore give it the cost of a size 2 weapon and add 1CP for "Flame" ability, just as you would add 1CP for "Explosive" ability. This brings the totals to 7 and 11CP.

@Gungir, too far range and by the way you stated the damage exception it sounds like every single turn until the game ends or the unit dies it will still be on fire. This is not believable as surely someone would stop, drop, and roll at some point, or the flames would die down. Plus if a unit was armored there is no way he'd be on fire constantly.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm

MicVash wrote:@Gungir, too far range and by the way you stated the damage exception it sounds like every single turn until the game ends or the unit dies it will still be on fire. This is not believable as surely someone would stop, drop, and roll at some point, or the flames would die down. Plus if a unit was armored there is no way he'd be on fire constantly.
That's a quick fix: 6" Range and five-turn limit on being on fire.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 am

I tend not to quibble over and inch or two for ranges at close range, anything less than 6" is a waist of time. So pistols, shotguns and light SMG's and flamers are all 6" ranged. Most flamethrowers, even back in WWII could travel a fair distance anyway.

I also found this online, thought it looked very cool. I can't understand why he's naked though.

Aaah, now I understand.