Epic Fleet Engagement in the Caid Sector

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:14 am

4th Turn

Roc, moves the Terrarium ship, in its swing it gets hit by the Broarding pod.
Rocs fighters move in to chew stranas fighters to flaming bits
Destroyer fires its main turrets at
The imperial landing shuttle, it goes .....BOOM
Another shuttle bites the dust do to heavy missile bombardment from the bomber
Fighters fire upon the smaller shuttles
--------------------------------------------------

Stranas turn, forces that survived the shuttle explosions and used the grappling cable to climb upon the Destroyer one officer rushes up and using a ship cutting laser severs one of the barrels of the top main turret

One shuttle manages to land its troops onboard the destroyer
FIghters return fire to avenge the destroyed shuttles
the capital ships are moving into engagement range
Onboard the terrarium frigate the boarders halt the ship, shutting down the engines
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:26 am

5th turn?.
Rocs, marine fires upon the boarding party killing one
Th destroyer mover through the debri field it just created, the rest of the boarding team swings aboard.
Ships get into knife range opening up with as many weapons as possible.
as the fighter hero retreats, 2 of Rocs fighters jockey for the kill position
Strana loses nearly half his fighter force
Roc looses one of his fighters
need i say any more
Last member of the boarding party manages to take over the terrarium ship
lopping off the head of the marine
DARN

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 am

5th? 6th?7th? turn lets just say the action gets crazy
Rocs Destroyer gets Boarded
The survivning troops from one of the shuttles that have been floating around in space hitch a ride on Rocs bomber
Roc uses his larger ships to hide his shuttles. the Kirkolkand is blowing up ships left and right with the help of the Hodgepodge.
Frigate death
more frigate death
the ships are very tightly packed
the motherships were staring beady eyed at eachother
view flattened and backed up
Rabid moves up to engage remaining D-pods
long shot Overwatch
Boarding begins of the Kirkolkand
Rocs mothership turn to present broadside, also terraium ship is rammed
Boarding
Heavy debri field
doin there thing
D-Pod move into the ship to try and fight off the boarding party
Close range shooting
Down the hatch
Bombers and D-pods face off against my fighters
Officer shows how its done spitting one man on his sword and killing the other with a pistol shot to the back of the head
Battle damaged darth vader fightes against the commandoes, the other boarding party rigs the hatch to blow
having lept from the bomber to the Kirkolkand some troopers try and arrest the boarding measuers
thier not so successful
Shuttles go kaboom
DARN

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:50 am

Ending game..

Stranas whole fleet fires upon rocs mother ship
math is involved
crap is pretty blown to smitherines
Having gained control of rocs destroyer this is added to the already heavy bombardment to rocs mother ship

Rocs, mother ship runs and warps out, it was one pip away from being star food

Size comparison

this is why roc decided to not board the hodgepodge
Rocs mothership internals
DARN

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am

Awesome battle Strana. Microspace may be more realistic, but there's a lot to be said for watching boarding commandos leap from ship to ship.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:00 pm

End notes, the Modified HP system is a must for this scale of battle, even after 3 round of shooting at rocs mothership it escaped, missiles, in this type of engagement on a capital ship is a wast of weapons space, only one shuttle survived the conflict, and it was almost dead. Roc, just had <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of bad rolling, the dice gods were not with most of his ships, however the dice gods looked favorably upon the D-pods, Surviving shipos for roc were 3 D-pods mother ship, fighter, bomber.

Lessons learned, Class III guns are minimal defensive weapons, weaons should always be paired, Missiles on big ships suck, missiles on fighters and bombers yay. next time roc will bring his large cannon that attaches top the miothership, and make rules for the PSP projector on his mothership.

Notes on ships.

Forces wise i had roc in al areas except for his commandoes, i have no guys with armor, and if they had klanded on the hodgepodge they may not have survived put they could porbably have blown the main engine core, and yes there are 2 engine corse upon the hodgepodge, also generally you motherships, are last engagement targets, destroy all the riffraff around them first, and if you have anough of a fleet left engage the mothership, otherswise the easiest way to win over a mother ship is by boarding, that said have plenty of boarding shuttles these are first priority targets, for enemy ships.
DARN

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

You were using Damage roll - armor roll = damage points, right?

Anyway, my thoughts: Ships should have only as many HP as their Size in inches. Since your fighters seemed to be between 1 and 4 inches long, this should make them easy to kill in 1-2 attacks. Ships will ideally take 3-4 attacks from capital ship weapons before being destroyed. Also, missiles should have only 1 hit point.

The best anti-fighter weapons are probably multiple Mk. I or Mk. II guns (or missiles) which make combined-fire attacks on a single target. With anti-capital ship weapons, make them as big as they can possibly get under the 2005 rules -- since ships are so huge, the "+1 per 2" target size" accuracy modifier will mean that they still score hits.

Probably the best way to make missiles on capital ships effective is to give them really good accuracy (I would give Mk.I and II missiles a UR of 3, and larger missiles a UR of 5), so that against pretty much anything except a fighter they are 100% guaranteed to hit. However, shipboard weapons could take Response Shots against missiles before they hit.

As for boarding parties, that was honestly the most awesome part of this game. It would be interesting to see what happens if you had a squad of boarding troops with jetpacks...

Here, for what it's worth, are my ancient and unplaytested Minifig space combat rules.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 pm

When I become an independant adult, I wanna be like you.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Theblackdog wrote:You were using Damage roll - armor roll = damage points, right?

Anyway, my thoughts: Ships should have only as many HP as their Size in inches. Since your fighters seemed to be between 1 and 4 inches long, this should make them easy to kill in 1-2 attacks. Ships will ideally take 3-4 attacks from capital ship weapons before being destroyed. Also, missiles should have only 1 hit point.

The best anti-fighter weapons are probably multiple Mk. I or Mk. II guns (or missiles) which make combined-fire attacks on a single target. With anti-capital ship weapons, make them as big as they can possibly get under the 2005 rules -- since ships are so huge, the "+1 per 2" target size" accuracy modifier will mean that they still score hits.

Probably the best way to make missiles on capital ships effective is to give them really
good accuracy (I would give Mk.I and II missiles a UR of 3, and larger missiles a UR of 5), so that against pretty much anything except a fighter they are 100% guaranteed to hit. However, shipboard weapons could take Response Shots against missiles before they hit.

As for boarding parties, that was honestly the most awesome part of this game. It would be interesting to see what happens if you had a squad of boarding troops with jetpacks...

Here, for what it's worth, are my ancient and unplaytested Minifig space combat rules.

damaged is based on attack roll / defense roll equals x, x being the amount of pips destroyed if it was the other way none of these ships would have survived one hit. literally full fleet bombardment was over 600 points of attack strength roc maximum defense was 20d10 shield 5d10 Structure and 5d6 armor
small craft hp is based on SL Sl being thier HP
Space BOMBARDMENT torpedoes cost more than a fighter for a one use weapon, theyare an A.I. controlled MOC with independent actions, total cost in torpedoes alone was near 400 cp
MK I and II weapons simply don't have the range in games of this scale, even the class III turrets don't give the hodgepodge full fighter cover, its 47" long if placed amidships a class III weapon has a range of 18 x2 for each direction that ony 36 inches 11" shorter than the ship

defensive weapons, IE those with the defense weapon upgrade can shoot down missiles, at a predetermind cost see my rules in the bonus section weapons up to class III can be defensive weapons. SBTorpedoes, can be shot at by regular guns.

Cp - fighters crew and minifig weapons.
legomen
520cp
Fighters
110*880
plus swarmer other variousfighters, bomber, and what not
6130 CP'S
Last edited by Strana on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DARN

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't know... it seems like most of the time your method of calculating defense would cause only 1-2 points of damage, especially considering that you were using studs instead of inches for HP. You're right about the guns' short range, but this just means that a giant ship like the Hodgepodge needs more of them. I don't know what the UR for Mk.III guns is in your rules, but it seems like it would be too high to engage fighters effectively.

Also, 20D10 shields for one ship is way too high.

If torpedoes cost too much, then just lower the cost -- you're the one who writes the rules, in the end.

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:08 pm

I am in awe of this battle's epic awesomeitude.

I also think it is only fitting that the Peaches were defeated by the force that used Yellows, (even though that force was impure...)
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Theblackdog wrote:Well you should probably use inches instead of stud length. You're right about the guns' short range, but this just means that a giant ship like the Hodgepodge needs more of them. I don't know what the UR for Mk.III guns is in your rules, but it seems like it would be too high to engage fighters effectively.

If torpedoes cost too much, then just lower the cost -- you're the one who writes the rules, in the end.
the torpedoes cost as much as they do because thier actually very efficient at killing things, if i wanted to wipe out all the fighters in one turn i could have. hence thier cost the health system is 5hp per 12" so the hodgepodge had 20hp as did rocs mothership, its actually very balanced way of doing damage. Mk III guns have a baseUR of 9 a fighters front profile is usually a -3 or so as such a 6 on a ship with over 10 people at computer asisted targeting stations is more than enough skill to fire at fighters, and other things. and 20d10 shields is not to much considering the type of beating a mother ship can take, shields are very necessary considering thier huge sitting targets.

you have to remember this is a game were the largest weapon was a class XXI gun this due to the modified rule HP system usually did about 2 damage to the HP of a ship a turn
the UR on a size XXI gun is 63 put this number is smaller against capital ships that its firing this weapon at. still it useed a class VII computer and a crew of 6 to man the ship
DARN

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Elmagnifico wrote:I am in awe of this battle's epic awesomeitude.

I also think it is only fitting that the Peaches were defeated by the force that used Yellows, (even though that force was impure...)
were mercs, we don't care about you mutations as long as you can hold a gun and bleed :twisted:
DARN

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 pm

So if you could get invincible bloodless robots you wouldn't want them?

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Theblackdog wrote:I don't know... it seems like most of the time your method of calculating defense would cause only 1-2 points of damage, especially considering that you were using studs instead of inches for HP. You're right about the guns' short range, but this just means that a giant ship like the Hodgepodge needs more of them. I don't know what the UR for Mk.III guns is in your rules, but it seems like it would be too high to engage fighters effectively.

My ship had that, and it fled because it was about to be destroyed, there is just too much firepower with ship battles. Also we deemed that it would be more fun to try to board & capture the flagships instead. But Strana's Hodgepodge alone had about 30+ men, my FLEET had about 45 men, Strana's fleet had over 100+ men. There was no way I was going to capture the Hodgepodge.

I learned a lesson too.... If you have a large open area on the ship build the biggest gun you can on it. If it has a small open area, build the biggest gun you can on it. And if there is space on top of that gun, build the biggest gun you can on it.
Last edited by RoC77 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.