Robotic Dog

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

eviljack
Hero

Robotic Dog

Post by eviljack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Ok so I am a noob to this game. Trying to learn and haven't had a chance to play yet.

I have bought a couple of the robot K-9 lego sets from the space police line. I have been trying to figure out how the stats would run. Want some suggestions as I am new to this and I don't wanna overkill their stats as noobs tend to do. Plus I am typing with with a vage remembering of the rules I have recently read.

I figure they have an A.I. and would act as a standard Mini-fig.
They are a robot, and designed after a dog so I would wager they would have a higher movement range. The are built with a rocket launcher in the set, but I have ideas for other weapons. So with the weapon designed into the robot it would have a heavy/long range weapon at no movment cost. If using the standard design with rockets, it gets a payload of three(3) rockets, once its out there is no reload. Other weapon ammo would be based on design. It would have automatic redshirt ability to the hero with no role needed.

Now things I am not so sure on. Being a robot, would it have a higher armor point then the standard mini-fig, or the same(could be a fragile robot design)? Would it cost more then a standard mini-fig, or the same considering it has some limitiation but some upgrade compared to a normal mini-fig? If it does have a higher movement range, what would be a good range? Since it has an A.I. and targeting system what would be an appropriate skill level?

Any suggestions, comments, or ideas on how I should do this is appreciated. Even if you just wanna make fun of me for my idea.

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:37 pm

first welcome to the game

I think I'd put the movement rate on 7", nice and quick and not overpowered because of the AI restrictions

AI: being a robot dog, it needs someone to listen to, so IMO it should stay with its master at all times (5" in 2001 synthetik rules) now you can go in 12 directions:

6: if the master dies/binds it to a tree and leaves it will stay on the last spot its master was in range and accept any minifig that walks by as it new master, including enemy figs
7: same as above but only friendly figs can claim it.
8: it will defend the masters body against all targets
9: as above but will not attack friendlies.
10: lists shouldn't go past 10
11: as 8 and will accept any friendly fig as its master.
12: it dies with its master, other figs can loot the rockets for entertainment purposes.

other idea: the master carries the rockets and must spend an action to reload the dog.

commands: the master can issue commands to it, like:
fetch! (nominate 1 enemy unit the dog will attack until it is destroyed, after which it will return to its master before doing anything else. targets may be outside command zone, but within LOS)
Stay!(dog stays while master leaves, and defends position against all/enemy intruders)
Roll! (dog rolls over)
speak!(dog barks and fires rocket)
Dead!(Dog selfdestructs for D10 exp. damage + 1d10 for every unfired rocket in the dog)
heel! (dog stops doing whatever it was doing and goes back to its master)

hmmmm, I need to get me one of those :P
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

eviljack
Hero

Post by eviljack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Ok I really like these ideas. Tying it down to a master will restrict it but open up for some awsome extras.

Now in regards to the fetch command. I am figuring this would mean that the dog would have a bite attack that is equal to a melee weapon, but dog must touch the enemy. How should commands be handled? Does it take place of the attack the owner would normaly do, or could the owner command the do and fire a weapon?

On movement. If the dog is tied to owner then it will move with owner at all times in every movement unless given one of the listed commands. Then it will have a 7" per turn movement.

I think that the dog will stay with the masters body and guard it, only aquiring a new master from friendlies. If it is guarding its masters body, you must roll to see if the dog decideds to melee attack or self destruct. Roll a d10 0-6 melee, 7-9 self destruct.

If the dog is at the masters side it will block/redshirt all attack without a roll needed, but only if the master commands.

I prefer the missiles pre-loaded. Makes for a nice kaboom if you decided to self distruct.

With these rules it makes it more of a supplement weapon for a mini-fig instead of a new type of character. I like this idea <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a>. How about cost then if its a weapon?

Also how many robot dogs can one mini-fig control at any given time? I would like to say two, but I think keeping it at one is much more simple.

More ideas, suggestions or comments?

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:04 am

Im not sure about whether or not an action should be spent for commands, I suppose if the dog does more damage than the masters weapon its ok.

the dog must stay within 5" of its master unless commanded otherwise, but with that circle it would still have its 7" movement

1-3 per master, it depends, would you have all troopers have a dog or a dedicated squad for them? you could get a lot of troopers a dog, but you could also have a dedicated squad for K9 support, where 3 troopers master 9 attack dogs.
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 pm

well theres several types of minds
(synopsis from rule book)

to give a creation a mind the CP cost is = to the creations size (minimum 1), additionaly you can give it skill boosts for its base cost x skill modifier. this gives the creation the same thought capacity (if you can call it that) of a minifig.

HALFMINDS

half mind cost half that of a regular mind, with boosts at regular pice
of these there are several base half minds

incompetent-can't have a skill higher than 1d6-2 (zombies,civilians, etc)

simple- creature can follow a basic list of behaviors, ie kill that thing, run that way, defend me from enemys, eat his head, etc

submissive-limited ability to think on its own but will nominaly follow the commands of its master, may act as intelligently as if it had a full mind (as long as its under direction) but reverts to animalistic behaviors as seems realistic inclined to (ie horse)

hope this helps
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

eviljack
Hero

Post by eviljack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 pm

For number of dogs one mini-fig can command I was thinking about this. Standard mini-fig can handle one dog. A mini-fig with K-9 skill can handle up to 3. Having this skill will of course cost extra.

I am thinking simple mind. Have it need to be comanded. It can operate on its own for its pre-programmed commands. Its not living and therefore doesn't act as such.

I don't think rocket will be more powerful then anything the minifig could carry. Its bite attack will be standard as well. The only thing that will be superpowerful would be the self-destruct if done will full rocket load. I figure to keep it from having people turn this into a suicide dog the self destruct command will require the dog to stay put where it is when the command is issued. The self-destruct command will also have a timer setting.