Brik Wars IN PRINT!

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

Postby james+burgundy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28 pm

p.s. I own this book and its kick ass 8)
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Eh, that book's okay. I own it, too; nothing amazingly creative.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 pm

For copyright, patent, and trademark infringement, you don't have to be making a profit, they're all illegal regardless. Whether you make a profit just helps determine how much they can charge you for damages.

As far as I can figure, BrikWars is getting pretty close to squeaking past these though. I haven't consulted with a lawyer or anything, but the main issues used to copyright questions with regards to Lego Wars, and trademark questions about putting something that could be confused with an official Lego character on the cover.

Copyright isn't an issue since the game no longer resembles Lego Wars very much at all, and in any case it's well established now that you can't copyright game mechanics, only the dressing of those mechanics (fancy names for stats or game universe settings and so forth). Trademark violation is a matter of brand confusion, and with Two-By-Two on the cover instead of the SpaceMan, and all the disclaimers throughout the book, I think I've got the bases covered. Or at least I could say that people are just as likely to think it's a Mega Bloks game as a Lego one.

The main reason there's never been a book yet is because book formatting is a lot of work and a pain in the ass besides. This is why I've never made my own PDF, it's always been up to other folks who somehow enjoy that kind of thing.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby AdrianTheGeek » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm sure Lego already hates us because of you escaping their lawyer hordes by changing "Lego" and "Brick" to "Brik". God knows they'll do anything to keep us from having fun while using their name.
Does james+burgundy love men? I'll let you decide.
james+burgundy wrote:nice parts
james+burgundy wrote:Think you can get me the guys number
james+burgundy wrote:O I was hoping he'd stay at my place
AdrianTheGeek
Cannon Fodder

Postby eviljack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 pm

One of our members actually took the time to reformat the files so they print out in proper page format. Then he printed them up on his laser printer on 3-hole paper and put the pages in a three ring binder. Turned out really well. The only issue he had working on the conversion was he lost the page numbers. While a hardback copy would be uber cool, this definatly gets the job done.
TROLOLO
eviljack
Officer

Postby Ranger S2H » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 am

ok, so now we're past the lawyerama, all we need now is a good, final version of brikwars.
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?
Ranger S2H
Cannon Fodder

Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Postby Apollyon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 am

Ranger S2H wrote:ok, so now we're past the lawyerama, all we need now is a good, final version of brikwars.

Which makes me, who conveniently printed out the .pdf version, wonder in what way those rules differ from the html version? Up to now i thought both were the same.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
Playmobil

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Nah, whenever Rayhawk gets bored, he has a nasty habit of going and updating the rules real quick.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Warhead » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Aww, I wondered why it said in rule 13:4:23a All parties must make a Ham Sandwich and post it to the Great Overlord that is Rayhawk.
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Magic Soap » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

stubby wrote:For copyright, patent, and trademark infringement, you don't have to be making a profit, they're all illegal regardless. Whether you make a profit just helps determine how much they can charge you for damages.

As far as I can figure, BrikWars is getting pretty close to squeaking past these though. I haven't consulted with a lawyer or anything, but the main issues used to copyright questions with regards to Lego Wars, and trademark questions about putting something that could be confused with an official Lego character on the cover.

Copyright isn't an issue since the game no longer resembles Lego Wars very much at all, and in any case it's well established now that you can't copyright game mechanics, only the dressing of those mechanics (fancy names for stats or game universe settings and so forth). Trademark violation is a matter of brand confusion, and with Two-By-Two on the cover instead of the SpaceMan, and all the disclaimers throughout the book, I think I've got the bases covered. Or at least I could say that people are just as likely to think it's a Mega Bloks game as a Lego one.

The main reason there's never been a book yet is because book formatting is a lot of work and a pain in the ass besides. This is why I've never made my own PDF, it's always been up to other folks who somehow enjoy that kind of thing.

Thank you for verifying what I said.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby stubby » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Magic Soap wrote:He can't make a profit from it - you are all idiots.

Magic Soap wrote:Thank you for verifying what I said.

Did you say anything besides telling everyone they were idiots and I can't make a profit? Because I can totally make profits if I want, there's no legal hurdles to that anymore. I do kind of agree with the other part though.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Magic Soap » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:14 pm

The idiot part is right - and that included me.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby dilanski » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Lego already has bullet holes in it's legal rights, Nega-bloks, best lock, Brick and a hundred other bootlegs other examples include that book of lego guns, When I was young I had a studded train station. Getting a book version would be a case of finding a publisher, XKCD has it's own book.
Admin of the New Brikwars Minecraft server, feel free to PM me regarding it. Ask for whitelist here!
Spoiler: show
dilanski
My Little Pony

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby james+burgundy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:13 pm

eviljack wrote:One of our members actually took the time to reformat the files so they print out in proper page format. Then he printed them up on his laser printer on 3-hole paper and put the pages in a three ring binder. Turned out really well. The only issue he had working on the conversion was he lost the page numbers. While a hardback copy would be uber cool, this definatly gets the job done.
I have 05,01 and super powers all printed out and hole punched in folders :? but now I use the PDF more because my of laptop
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby eviljack » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:19 pm

james+burgundy wrote:
eviljack wrote:One of our members actually took the time to reformat the files so they print out in proper page format. Then he printed them up on his laser printer on 3-hole paper and put the pages in a three ring binder. Turned out really well. The only issue he had working on the conversion was he lost the page numbers. While a hardback copy would be uber cool, this definatly gets the job done.
I have 05,01 and super powers all printed out and hole punched in folders :? but now I use the PDF more because my of laptop

I use the PDF when I am at home and on the laptop. However my wife uses the laptop for work, so I can't always get on the laptop. Plus when playing a game its easier to flip pages real quick instead of scrolling on the computer. Especailly if its a bad day for the computer and its running slow.

And yes I still have to use the rules for reference as I am a noob to this game and don't have everything memorized. Yet.
TROLOLO
eviljack
Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements