2010, the year of pointless movies?

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

2010, the year of pointless movies?

Postby The Shadowscythe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 am

Okay - As perhaps the one and only media student on the forums . . . I feel need to vent, but has anyone else here despaired at the state of the film industry as of late?

First off - a prequel to 300 . . . all I have to ask? Is why? 300 was an awesome film, and like many others (watchmen, predator - to be mentioned shortly) Is one of those films that should be left as it is . . . obviously the industry doesn't think so . . .

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t118 ... 0-prequel/

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/i ... 326/tcid/1

http://screenrant.com/300-prequel-xerxe ... rob-38128/

Next up on my list of pointlessness - No doubt many of the forum goers have seen the fucking awesome that is Watchmen, while an equally large portion have not - but WHY OH GOD WHY ARE THEY PLANNING A SEQUEL?! It was a stand alone film, based around the graphic novel - and half the characters are dead, there is no way it can continue!

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t1481304-watchmen-2/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/02/03/ ... atchmen-2/

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/04/wa ... the-works/

Next up - Predator! Apparently this is being done without Arnie being around - but they can't decide if its a straight up copy, remake, prequel or sequel . . . all anyone can agree on - is that it will be shit, and should be left alone.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t606 ... ator-2010/

http://www.scificool.com/category/preda ... ake-movie/

I mean, why the hell would anyone think these films where a good idea? for the money? I highly fucking doubt it - all they will succeed in doing is destroying decent franchises . . . oh wait . . . I forgot, thats hollywood . . . :?

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Coximind » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 am

IMO, the only way to tell if a movie is half decent is to wait 'till it's done and watch it. I, personally, don't care about any of those movies at all. Haven't watched a single one.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

Bullshit.
Coximind
Cannon Fodder

Postby OneEye589 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:57 am

I think Xerxes is a good idea. I love ancient cultures and mythology, so combining the two in 300 was great. I can see how they could make it horrible, but I can also see how it could be really good.

Watchmen. What the hell. No. Wrong.

Predator without Arnie. I didn't think he was in Predator 2, but it has been a few years. I think it will be okay, at least on the level of AVP (which I thought was decent). As long as we don't get an Alien 4 or AVP2 we should be okay.

And the thing that trumps everything anyway: Toy Story 3. Toy Story 2 is the best Disney sequel ever, Toy Story 3 should be up there, especially with all Pixar has done more recently.

Also, Tron 2 is coming out sometime this year, no? And Clash of the Titans, The Crazies, a few others. I think it will be an entertaining year.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby The Shadowscythe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am

OneEye589 wrote:I think Xerxes is a good idea. I love ancient cultures and mythology, so combining the two in 300 was great. I can see how they could make it horrible, but I can also see how it could be really good.

Watchmen. What the hell. No. Wrong.

Predator without Arnie. I didn't think he was in Predator 2, but it has been a few years. I think it will be okay, at least on the level of AVP (which I thought was decent). As long as we don't get an Alien 4 or AVP2 we should be okay.

And the thing that trumps everything anyway: Toy Story 3. Toy Story 2 is the best Disney sequel ever, Toy Story 3 should be up there, especially with all Pixar has done more recently.

Also, Tron 2 is coming out sometime this year, no? And Clash of the Titans, The Crazies, a few others. I think it will be an entertaining year.

The whole Predator thing - from what I can make out - it was originally a "remake" of the first, rather than the danny glover second, then it became a sequel to the first (but not the second) then a prequel - then a re-imagining of some form without Arnie in the main roll . . . now the whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me now . . .

And toy story 3? didn't that happen already? Iunno - I don't really keep track of disney/pixar/gobshite since the beginning of the whole "Animals that talk" craze that hasn't ended yet.

And Tron 2? I thought that had been in development hell for the last decade. almost akin to "duke nukem forever" just on the verge of existing, but never existing at the same time . . .

Clash of the titans, I'm not sure of - I'll reserve judgement until I see more of it, the same goes for the crazies (which looks just that).

I just cannot wrap my head around why Hollywood has taken to necromancy, and shitting around with old franchises all of a sudden, or have they finally reached a point where there is no longer any original content, and everything will revolve around brain-numbing shit, and the almighty dollar?

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Arkbrik » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

With the current bad economy they aren't taking any chances.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:46 am

I heard somewhere that it'd be something to do with a Predator showing up in like... early 19th century america, and like he'd go around wrecking shit on big-ass sailboats and stuff while James Madison just sits around sucking his thumb.

That sounds like a pretty good movie.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Magic Soap » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Supposedly: TRON 2, Gremlins 3, RoboCop (Revamped).
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Warhead » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:31 pm

@OneEye: How can you claim to like ancient culture and have liked 300. C'mon, admit it. You just liked looking at the oiled man nipples and dudes in sandals.

300 was a joke. Persian Ninjas?!? Fffffuuuuu!!!!
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby OneEye589 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Like I said, I like ancient cultures, but I also like big monsters and gigantic battle scenes. I don't think it was a good film at all. A good movie though? Hell yes.

Tron 2 already has a trailer out, called Tron: Legacy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcsDc_9LX8

Toy Story 3 is coming out in June. Back in November I think they did a Toy Story 1 and 2 double feature with them both in 3D in theaters. I was gonna see it, but I can't use 3D glasses for obvious reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FfHA5whXc

Clash of the Titans I am looking forward to because I think it's by the same people who did 300, or at least looks like the same style.

The Crazies is a special case. I just love zombies.

This year has already had one of my favorite movies of all time as well, The Book of Eli. Was sssssooooooooo good.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby piltogg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

ya, there are some good looking movies also though.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Warhead » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm interested in Solomon Kane, by the makers of Conan. Who knows. *shrug*
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby MasterEcabob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Oneye's already said this but...

TOY STORY MOTHERFUCKING 3!
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby AdrianTheGeek » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Clash of the Titans should be good. I love the original. As far as a 300 prequel goes, I don't think it will be that bad. I mean Frank Miller said it's cool and is even making a graphic novel to go along with it. Oh and a Watchmen sequel? The only way I could see something else with Watchmen is either a prequel featuring the Minutemen, or perhaps a movie adaption of The End is Nigh. I doubt that they would make another one though just cause Snyder said he'd never do it, and most of the actors are also against it which would equal poor performances. Since Moore was against the first movie, he'd want nothing to do with a sequel/prequel and would most likely bash it. But then again this is Fox we are talking about so I don't know what's the use of going against it.
Does james+burgundy love men? I'll let you decide.
james+burgundy wrote:nice parts
james+burgundy wrote:Think you can get me the guys number
james+burgundy wrote:O I was hoping he'd stay at my place
AdrianTheGeek
Cannon Fodder

Postby briknerd7 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm

the film industry has been running out of good ideas for a long time. Every now and then an original idea comes out, but the movie industry seems to think that if the original was good and made money then 2 or 3 prequels and sequels will go well.
briks have great potential and great power
TROLOLO
briknerd7
Champion

Postby Elmagnifico » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:53 pm

And now for the big question: Will those barbies from the end credits of 2 have a role/cameo, or is Stinky Pete's show-business clout all for nowt?
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok

Next

Return to General Discussion