Rules Revision

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Rules Revision

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm wondering what's going to be in the rules revision/supplement.

Medik/Mechaniks?

Autofire/Flamethrowers?

WHAT'S IN IT?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Revised stuff.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 am

Well let's see, I can tell you what's gone in so far: your mom.

But that's no secret, I already gave that away awhile back. So let me think.

Chapters one through H are keeping mostly the same organization.

Chapter 1: A new section called "Spirits of the Rules" tells about Almighty Bennies and Unmighty Pennies. I'm also thinking about adding a bit about VicLUG's all-WISG game.

Chapter 2: An illustrated guide about making stat cards.

Chapter 3: Some minor numbers tweaks, and Tools are now separated out from other random objects into their own category.

Chapter 4: nothing fancy.

Chapter 5: some upcoming cleanup on Close Combat to make it easier to understand; there'll be less distinction between attacks and counters. Charge attacks are now only described for minifigs; Charges for larger creations are moved to a later chapter.

Chapter 6: may be where I put the Cannon Fodder, not sure yet. Also I may include Manly Santa as another Hero example.

Chapter H: simplification of Charge and Joust rules.

Everything past this point is where the big changes are; I've busted them out into "Book 2: MOC Combat." The chapter breakdown is changing back to be a lot more like BW2001.

MOC Combat: Explanation of how Creations work, and how to use all the new dice besides d6es and d10s.

Ch 7: Structures. A new section called "Field Construction" where the Mechanik is re-introduced; Construction Actions; Patch Repairs, Disassembly.

Ch 8: Weaponry. New weapon types: Blast guns (like shotguns), Automatic Weapons, Flamethrowers. Firing Arc measurement using fingers. I've been hung up on the Flamethrower section for awhile trying to get fire to work right, but otherwise these are all done. Next up is a weapon type for Environmental Hazards (mines, barbed wire, etc) and reintroducing the Scout who can circumvent them; introducing the Gunner, a new unit who specializes in firing larger high-Use weapons, and the Heavy, who can handle vehicle-sized weapons.

Ch 9 (Upcoming): Vehicles. All the old propulsion stuff and the Pilot. I'm still deciding on whether some of the systems from the old NanoFleet prototypes will work their way in here, most likely the battlestations rules if anything at all, possibly some of the vector propulsion stuff in a very limited form for naval engagements.

Ch 10 (Upcoming): Creatures. Rules for limbs and creature- and mech-specific abilities. Creature injuries and re-introducing the Medik. Supernatural Powers make their return with a much more straightforward system than in 2001. I may reintroduce the Ninja as a SP example, since I want to put him in the book and can't figure out where else he'll go. Dimmies, Jaw-Jaws, Skellies, and Zombies also go here.

Chapter 0937 (Upcoming): Squids. Rules for BrikThulhu.

Chapter 11 (Upcoming): Squads. I want to move squids and squads back to Book 1 right after chapter H, but it depends on the order in which I need to introduce some of the mechanics. I want to simplify the hell out of this chapter, I rushed it last time around and it came out way too complicated.

Lastly I want to add a bunch more world fluff all over the place like what's been developing in the wik: peach suppression, protofigs, the Deadly Spacemen, Yellow Castle and the Vladtron Rebellions, the Farce, etc. I'm working off and on on the new Introduction chapter which has some bits about clone brands, minifig customization, and the Valkyrie painting with the big Lego boobs, so I can tell people their parents are idiots.

So, nothing earthshaking, it's mostly just restoring a bunch of the better parts of 2001 but in more 2005ey versions. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Tuefish
Dimmy

Post by Tuefish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:13 am

yes, you're missing the part about tips for building awesome armies, and themed battles, and tips for building awesome fields and scenarios.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds

Dertyyy
Hero

Post by Dertyyy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 am

stuff thats been revised

But seriously, I hope Rayhawk adds some new units, or just some more vehicle rules
You are unique, just like everybody else.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 am

All great ideas Rayhawk. I like the separating creatures and vehicles.

May I also suggest sometime in the future a way to create a weapon as you would a vehicle? Range, use, damage, etc.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 am

Sounds all good to me.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 am

stubby wrote:] introducing the Gunner, a new unit who specializes in firing larger high-Use weapons
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 am

WOAH.

Hold your horses.

This looks like it's going to be completely friggen awesome, but would it be possible to release it as a 2010 version and keep the 2001 version rules on the site? If these are going to be more complicated, I know a few people who would rather play by 2001.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 am

Well, seeing as right now the 2001 rules and the 2005 rules are both on the site, I don't know why Rayhawk would remove the 2001 rules.

If you meant the 2005 rules, I don't really agree. This system seems like it's not going to complicate things much more, just clean up some stuff that's misunderstood. People don't have to use the Mechanic or the Gunner, it's just extra fluff.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Add a table for Weapon Modifications, but keep it general. EG all area splash damage attacks are 1CP per inch affected..... etc.

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Aw jeez, how'd I do that? I did mean 2005. Dur.

Well, possibly. I'm just complaining about something that doesn't matter as usual. :P
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:19 pm

@Stubby: All sounds good, it'll be great to see (and use) when it's ready.

Also, Manly Santa, YAY!!! :lol:

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Magic Soap wrote:Add a table for Weapon Modifications, but keep it general. EG all area splash damage attacks are 1CP per inch affected..... etc.
I was thinking more like how chapter 7 is now, but just for weapons. A different system for each type of weapon (regular gun, close combat, explosives/missiles, launchers, autofire weapons, and cone-range weapons). You would pay a certain amount for range first (like movement), a certain amount for damage (like structure level), and then from those two there would be some sort of formula to figure out the use rating.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 pm

StubHawk has the Freaking 1998 rules on the site, of course he's not going to delete 2001.

On another note, No Mediks?