ATTN Rayhawk 13

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

ATTN Rayhawk 13

Postby dilanski » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Like Natalya i totally disagree with the ATTN threads, so i thought i'd make one to show my disgust at them. (+ i know you'll probably not do anything if i ask, ok there was the wiki thing but that was like the first time ever)
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:07 pm

OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm gone for almost 3 months and the ATTN threads are still here. "Sigh"
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 pm

So now theres two ATTN 13 threads...
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Warhead » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:18 am

:shock: Cpt Zipps! Just where the fuck have you been! Welcome back!!! :D

Um, your Time Travelling Super Jews have been seeing some action without their leader. Hope you don't mind. (Check Forum Battles).
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:52 pm

I got really busy with my school Improv and Robotics teams. The robotics team had this competition. We use the VEX system, look it up , it's really cool stuff, pretty much a big Mechano set.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby Professor Ken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Cpt. Zipps wrote:We use the VEX system, look it up , it's really cool stuff, pretty much a big Mechano set.

I've worked with VEX before, and let me tell you, it's not all it's cracked up to be. I found the unsynchronized motors particularly infuriating-- it should not have to take a full 80-minute class period just to adjust motors to run at a close enough speed not to erratically veer left and right!

You know what's fun, though? Designing a robot to collect ping-pong balls by remote control. If you can actually implement a working conveyor belt system I will be very impressed!
Were it that simple...
Professor Ken
Officer

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Ours had to pick up different types of Nerf balls and put them over a wall. Some were tennis ball sized, some like small footballs and one that was like a soccer ball. Our robot didn't really work that well since it was just to grippers so it could only pick up one ball at a time. Others had these crazy basket systems that could pick up like 5.

I know what you mean about the motors. One team at the tournament( From Redmond, Washington no less) had 6 wheels, with 3 motors on each side powering all of the wheels on that side. they also had sensors on those motors to correct the difference.

In a semi-related note, that team was sponsored by BrickCon and The BrickJournal
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby Professor Ken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Hmm. I seem to recall plans for a grabber-arm going around, but my group settled on a dozer blade custom-made from sheet metal. Like most of the designs we came up with through the year, it did not meet expectations and failed rather epically. (In retrospect, we should have made a bucket loader rather than a bulldozer!)

I still think that the old Lego Mindstorm robots are better, because the motors were much better synchronized than the Vex ones, and crafting custom attachments did not require power tools. But I will agree that the Vex remote-control capacity is pretty freaking sweet.
Were it that simple...
Professor Ken
Officer

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:08 pm

VEX: Pros and Cons

PROS:
Variety of parts
Great RC capabilities
Nice and simple( Pretty much a Mechano set)
Simple programing
Since its through school its free for me.

CONS:
Varied Motor speed
FREAKING EXPENSIVE
In tournaments you can only use VEX parts, not even other zip ties are allowed, VEX only.
Oh and did I mention FREAKING EXPENSIVE.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Return to Announcements