Rules version

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

G2
Nice

Post by G2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 am

Brikwars is officially being played at the Australian Brickvention weekend, and I believe that they are ONLY using the 2001 rules in that convention/get-together.

I will try and get some good pictures of the action.

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 am

G2 wrote:Brikwars is officially being played at the Australian Brickvention weekend, and I believe that they are ONLY using the 2001 rules in that convention/get-together.

I will try and get some good pictures of the action.
Good man. Try to enlist maybe a couple more people with cameras to hit the convention from all angles. We want you to take notes as well on how the game is being played so that we may judge and ridicule their "teknique" later.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 am

all the big games are 2001 so im going to switch over as soon as i get it printed out. man who need 135 pages! thats like at 15 cent per page x 135 =$20.25 its not going to happen any time soon.
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:40 pm

james+burgundy wrote:all the big games are 2001
correction. all the OFFICIAL games are 2001. it's older and more complicated, but a lot of the things are needlessly specific enough for "4 srs" gamers to get into it.

spacessj
Hero

Post by spacessj » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am

I use the 01 ones cause I have it printed out. I even enjoyed reading it thanks to the quotes and utterly silly examples

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 am

I haven't gotten a game yet, but I plan to use 05. Me and friend friends already have Warhammer, 40k, Warmachine, Vampire, Confrontation, and Settlers of Catan down... a simpler ruleset that we can make up expansions for may be what we need.

On another note: is it just me or are many gamers shocking opposed to open-ended systems? Particularly the Munchkins, who need a safety net of rules and redtape to back up their min-maxing powergaminess. You'd think somehting open-ended would be their dream, but then again I guess it's easier to vote out something not Holy Writ etched in stone. Bah.

EDIT: We also play Descent (including the new Road to Legend *drool*). No more rules! ARGH!
It's a secret to everybody.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 am

I much prefer the 05 rules, and make liberal use of the "What I Say Goes" clause. It tends to lead to more comedy and awesomeness.

spacessj
Hero

Post by spacessj » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Heh I got my 2001 issue printed out for free AND it's in those plastic ring thingies( these: )

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Atomsk wrote:I much prefer the 05 rules, and make liberal use of the "What I Say Goes" clause. It tends to lead to more comedy and awesomeness.
RAmen!

My games have all been along the lines of:

Davey: What do I need to roll?
Me: Uhh.... Four?
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Commander Evil
Hero

Post by Commander Evil » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Blitzen wrote:
Atomsk wrote:I much prefer the 05 rules, and make liberal use of the "What I Say Goes" clause. It tends to lead to more comedy and awesomeness.
RAmen!

My games have all been along the lines of:

Davey: What do I need to roll?
Me: Uhh.... Four?
Indeed, thats me playing most of the time.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 pm

I always use my house rules that are made from all the rules I thought where reasonable from both 05 and 01.

and I also think Munchking has allot of brikwars spirit in it accept that it's guide lines lean more to back stabbing the guy who just saved you in spectacular way.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm

I would, however, like to try out the Supernatural Powers supplement from the 2001 edition. I feel like it gives a very good outline for the non-heroic regular use of magic, while being flexible enough to still allow for creativity with it's implementation.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:15 am

I never used the supplements, but I alway use the 2001 rules, and basically started to remember anything that matter to me,
but still ignored pretty much 90% of the thing
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes