Just found some old junk from when I was 14.

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Warhead
kaka pants

Just found some old junk from when I was 14.

Post by Warhead » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 pm

While clearing out, I found these. It's some of the stuff I used to practice on from a comic when I was still at high school, I was still learning to sketch. There's better slightly more recent stuff using ink but I haven't come across those yet.

This guy was some sort of Warlord from the tales of Halo Jones 2000AD, I liked the snakes and tusks.

This is an Ice Daemon being speared from the 2000AD story of Slaine Macroth.

Rogue Trooper again 2000AD.

This is from a book cover. The Horseclans book III I think.

Joe Pineapples, who was originally and assassin of the ABC (Atomic/Bacterial/Chemical) warriors. An outfit of War Droid that fought against the VOLG or something (Russian/German/Warsaw pac Coalition forces).

This one I did without any graphic references from the comic. It was just a doodle.

Ulysses Sweet, Maniac for Hire. Say hello to were the Dial'O'Death idea sprang from. The Maniacs were already on the go then.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Those are rather good for 14 years old.

I was using comics as source material when I was 8. Although I was mostly tracing and shading them in.

I was doing some decent work by 16-17, my own designs.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks, yeah maybe I should have stuck with it but I wasn't disciplined enough to make a go of the whole art thing. Besides generally art students and teachers are a bunch of insufferable tossers.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Warhead wrote: Besides generally art students and teachers are a bunch of insufferable tossers.
2 years at Massachusetts College of Art, I resemble that remark. :)
Half the teachers were ok. Only some of the students acted like pretentious dopes.

It does require lots of practice. Back in my day there weren't as many distractions, cable tv, computers, internet. So a good way to kill time was sketching.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 pm

From when you were 14??

:necro:

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Yup, 14. It was around the same time I started reading sci-fi and fantasy novels and comics constantly. I would always end up drawing everyone's characters in any RPG, and once I did a cover for a local band. These are only ok, most of them are smudged for shading instead of cross hatched which I didn't learn until later when I started using ink. I couldn't paint to save myself back then. I'm a little better now.

@Tzan: Yeah, less electronic distractions but then there were girls. I think they still have them even nowadays.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 am

Warhead wrote: Yeah, less electronic distractions but then there were girls. I think they still have them even nowadays.
What? really. *looks around* I don't see any, I suppose I'll have to put that on my to do list.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 am

Nice! The last one is definitely my favorite. Great sense of depth in the first one, too.

And I would agreed whole-heartedly that art students are jerks most of the time. I go to a public university and they still act all stuck up. Also, my ex went to Pratt MWP and everyone there had the "holier than thou" attitude.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks Oneeye. I used a bic pen for those, you can probably tell.

@Tzan: Yup, apparently they are out there and gagging for it. Whatever IT is. Or so modern culture would have me believe. Maybe you should try a mail order bride, do you like Asian women? :D

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Warhead wrote:Whatever IT is.
Perhaps we should ask J+B, he seems to have a firm grip on the little rodent concept.
Maybe you should try a mail order bride, do you like Asian women? :D
Why yes, yes I do. But only the imaginary, overly idealized version. I call her "iAsian".

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, J+B is presently living at the airport, everything is going over his head at the moment.

iAsian... what ever you do, DO NOT try searching Google without the SafeSearch ON... unless you reeeeeeally want to. Wow! :shock: She has very nice... uh, eyes?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 pm

I thought I was making up a new word.... honest.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Er yeah, I think you two's humor just went over the head of everyone under the age of 15.

I think I'll keep the Safesearch on, thanks. Don't need that paper trail... :roll: