Zombies questions??????

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:32 pm

If I had laser eyes, I would never want them removed. Disassemble this store and use the lasers for killing like nature intended.

This battle may have just inspired me to join NELUG.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm

as long as you don't induce "brickinville horror mansion" (or whatever it was called) styled fear, you could probably get away with it. rolling on a d6 to see if the unit is scared of anything to see and then instantly running just seems so fake to me. you need the PLAYERS to actually consciously choose to run.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:32 pm

TL;DR: just read the last panel.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:19 pm

hehehe :D
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Hey, that was explored in The Golden Compass.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:19 pm

hm. looking at some DnD stats for inspiration, i may have come up with good zombie stats.

ZOMBIE:

Skill: 1d4 (half-mind, incompetent)
Move: 1d6"
Armor: Special
Notes:

*Zombie Bite: zombies have natural bite weapons (UR 2, 1d6 damage) that deal damage as normal, but regardless of whether or not it was lethal, the bitten target becomes a zombie in 1d6 turns. you may choose to do any of these rolls in secret so that only a single player and a GM know the results.

*Headshot: zombies can only die from a headshot, so if a player rolls a critical success in skill against a zombie, it instantly dies. if not, damage dealt will only remove limbs (not the head). explosions will still knock a zombie back, but will not kill zombies.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:41 pm

nice, but I would implement the 1d6 turns as rolling a 1d6 every turn and having him turn zombie on a 1 and the bites effect wearing off at a 6.
that way other players will be even more worried as to wetter or not the minifig in question is infected or not.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Rody wrote:nice, but I would implement the 1d6 turns as rolling a 1d6 every turn and having him turn zombie on a 1 and the bites effect wearing off at a 6.
if a zombie bites someone, they are infected. end of story.

where the secrecy comes into play is when a zombie attacks. it has a 1/4 chance of flat out missing the person, but other players wouldn't know if only the human player and the zombie player know the result of that roll.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 am

yeah, that would be possible as well, just ignore the wearing off part then.
I wrote that because I missed the 1/4 of missing the person

Gorchek
Officer

Post by Gorchek » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 am

I might be missing something, but this just seems overpowered.

The "miss 1 in 4 time" means nothing, considering it's an insta-kill attack. Compared to a sword, the sword will kill a regular mini a third of the time, while your zombie will RECRUIT a mini three times out of four. That's just seems too good.

Also, I understand you want your zombie to only go down on head shoots, but I think it would be better to represent that with a -2 to hit. That way, a Hero will have better chances to kill them then an incompetant mini. Right now, the Hero will hit a zombie only once in ten shots, while a mini with a d4 for skill will do it once in four shots...

If the -2 seems too little to make them hard to kill, how about also giving them an armor rating? Even if the armor is the standard 4, it means that half the pistols shots the zombie receive will leave him unarmed.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Gorchek wrote:I might be missing something, but this just seems overpowered.
basically, exactly the point. zombies only move 1d6" (which is actually a bit fast, i might want to turn that down), but this deals with the problem of players instantly trying to take charge of the situation and go gung-ho against the zombies without some sort of a plan. keep in mind that they're incompetent creatures, and thus can't really form any logical plans other than "move slowly at target then bite". they don't even have the brains to sprint, climb, duck, or basically take any action other than bite and walk.

yes, heroes are at a disadvantage here. but there's two reasons for this. 1) Heroes also have Heroic Feats and redshirts, which means they're pretty damn likely to be able to take out zombies several at a time. the other reason, is that 2) every zombie movie i've seen has shown that trained professionals and soldiers will be devoured by zombies, but joe schmo will somehow be able to grab a rifle and live. in fact, formal training has an inversely proportional relationship to the ability to kill zombies.

and remember, you can still blow limbs off of a zombie. a zombie without legs is drastically slowed, and zombies without arms have to get closer to the target to touch them (general rule: if a zombie can grab you, it can bite you).

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:10 pm

I guess this zombie topic is as good as any for this.

The Top 10 Ways To Kill A Zombie on GameFAQs.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Zombies need to be overpowered, because the spread of the infection is the only reason they're a threat in the first place! A single town police force could snuff any invasion with ease if they were less effective killers than a regular minifig.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:22 am

Gorchek wrote:Also, I understand you want your zombie to only go down on head shoots, but I think it would be better to represent that with a -2 to hit. That way, a Hero will have better chances to kill them then an incompetant mini. Right now, the Hero will hit a zombie only once in ten shots, while a mini with a d4 for skill will do it once in four shots...

If the -2 seems too little to make them hard to kill, how about also giving them an armor rating? Even if the armor is the standard 4, it means that half the pistols shots the zombie receive will leave him unarmed.
In fact if you examine the 2001 rules ranged modifiers then you see that he had implemented a -2 skill for aiming at head sized objects.

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 am

Rody wrote:In fact if you examine the 2001 rules ranged modifiers then you see that he had implemented a -2 skill for aiming at head sized objects.
Actually, you don't even look at the 2001 rules, just go to Core Rules Chapter Five: Combat. It's right there. But yeah, the point was not where the rule is, but what it is.

The only-killed-by-headshot idea sounds good to me. And nonetheless, shooting limbs off is more fun than killing it with one shot to the leg.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><