StarCorps - Origins

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: StarCorps - Origins

Post by RedRover » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:57 am

Kommander Ken wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:19 am
Oof.

This just escalated quickly.
More like D-escalate!
Falls in giant hole*

Pyro
Battlefield General

Post by Pyro » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:38 am

Man thats a real groundbreaking discovery!
You are not worthy as my opponent

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Chapter One - The Discovery on Ikan - Part IV

Everyone looks speechless at the hole in the ground, and it takes a while until everyone regains his countenance.
Quickly, ropes and flashlights are fetched, and the team starts to prepare the descent.

After a while, the team manages to reach a kind of elevator platform, old and rusty, stuck in the duct for ages.
Obviously, it once connected the surface hatch with a place deep down below.
On the platform they find Captain Willis, unconscious but alive. The power armor absorbed most of the momentum of the downfall. While the last team members just arrive there, one soldier and Peggy already take care of Willis, who slowly recovers.

"Well, not the typical theme park drop tower. Lousy safety precautions. Would only give one of five stars."

Peggy giggles.

"It looked like you`ve seen far more stars quite recently."

"Maybe. But now, back to our mission! Didn`t you notice the platform started moving?"

Just as Willis says this, the other team members feel it, too. With the weight of all the people, the elevator platform starts to slowly deepen the final meters to the ground of the duct...

With a metallic screech the platform stops near the ground level, releasing the view on a scantily lighted corridor.

"Concentration, everyone. I sense that a big discovery lies in front of us!"

The team slowly proceeds down the corridor, using the sensors of their equipment to gain a little information of the surroundings.

"Jeez, most of my horror holovid collection starts with such an ambience..."

"Oh, not only horror vids begin that way. Especially with that lighting..."

"Oh, would you both just put a cork in it, please?"

"Heh, heh. They don`t only put corks in..."

"WILLIS! JUST SHUT IT, WOULD YOU?"

The team approaches a thick metal door, with some simple buttons beside it.

"Sensors say there`s a large room behind this door. No signs of biological, electric, ionic or crystal activity."

"Hmm. Open sesame?"

"I`d prefer a more... physical method of opening that thing, unfortunately the door is at least 2 bricks thick. Our whole supply of explosives would not overcome its 3d10 armour."

"Not even with some critical success rolls?"

"Plot says no. I guess we`ll just have to find the password in the data we recovered."

"How do you know that it`s in these files?"

"I read the script. It`s amazingly predictable."

And so, after a few minutes of research in the data files found on the ship, Amanda Taekin manages to find a list of passwords related to a picture that looks a lot like the door they stand in front of. She enters the code on the buttons, and immediately, a loud metallic rumble starts. Like many old mechanisms started working after a long, rusty sleep...

*SSKKKRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK*

*SKRRR- KLONK!* The door slowly opens and reveals a big chamber lit by pale, red lamps. The air inside smells moldy, with a fine scent of ozone.

In awe-stricken silence the expedition team slowly enters the room. The sensors still show no activity.

"What is this place?"

Amanda Taekin examines the old computer consoles. They show no activity. She sees some Magtapes lying around. The labels read names of factions, planets and teknology that she doesn`t know about...

"Tharcan Galaxy, A-Gate blueprints, Immortal Empire, Children of Dew... this is a complete archive of what The Ancestors knew and who they met! This...this is..."

Amanda fumbles for words, her thoughts spinning around like in a particle accelerator.

"If we can restore and process all of this data, StarCorps. LLC could create the largest knowledge based information system in Henndirro! What possibilities and technical advantages! A leap in science and robotics and..."

She nearly hyperventilates regarding all the information they are just about to get from these tapes.

"She`s having a sciencegasm again..."

"Peggy! Shut Up! And the rest of you: GET THOSE READING DEVICES RUNNING IMMEDIATELY!
We have libraries to fill!"

End of Chapter One
ImageImageImage

sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Post by sahasrahla » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm

that was so awesome

devincp
Officer

Post by devincp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 pm

This is really good, I like that this seems to be set in the future. with all the little omages. Also the fourth wall breaking is great.
John Galt wrote:I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Interlude I

On the Homeworld of MagnaCorp. - The bureau of Supreme Commander Mortdecai Magna.
A Captain of the ground forces requested an audience with Magna and his staff.

Magna: "What do you want, Captain Ignus?"

Ignus: "Sir, our spies on Ikan sent us an encrypted message. The StarCorps found what we were looking for, right before their troops drove us off Ikan several months ago."

Magna takes a look at the datapad`s informations.

"Well, we were right, at least. And they did a lot of work for us. Now all we have to do is reap the fruits. What is the current status?"

"They started retrieving the tape library to bring it to cyran for further decrypting. It is most likely that they will put all the data into their A.I. computing center for processing. But right now, most of the tapes are still on Ikan."

"Good. You take some of your troops and go to Ikan. Your mission is to get as many of these tapes as possible before StarCorps can evacuate them. We can`t leave this treasure in their hands! Understand?"

"For certain, Sir!"

"Then why are you still lingering here? Get the flark to work!"

to be continued
ImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Interlude II

On the Homeworld of EnviroCorp. - The office of President Trenon Moneaux.
A Sergeant of the army reports what his subordinates informed him about earlier.

Moneaux: "You have valuable informations for us, Sergeant Cantos? Please, proceed."

Cantos: "Mr. President, our informants on Ikan found out that the StarCorps has discovered an old abandoned base built by The Ancestors."

Cantos hands over a datapad with informations on the Ikan activity to Moneaux.

"Here, Mr. President. All the intelligence our informants could gather without being exposed. In a nutshell, there are huge data archives, and StarCorp. currently prepares the relocation of these archives to their homeworld."

"Well, al least MagnaCorp. didn`t get hold of these treasuries. For now. Thank you, Sergeant."

Moneaux quickly skims the informations on the datapad. He ruminates a while, pondering several options in his head.

"You and your men did great work. But I`m afraid I have to solicit you for another favor."

"Whatever it is, Mr. President."

"I want you to assemble a small taskforce. Commander Wescott will assist you with the line-up. You then go to Ikan and try to acquire the contents of this archive. As much as I hate to get in conflict with StarCorp. , we just can`t risk that they solely get their hands on all these informations. Also, MagnaCorp. will try to hog the archive, too. And this is something we can not tolerate in any way. Before that happens, you will rather destroy the archive!"

"As you wish, Mr. President."

"Thank you, Sergeant. Dismissed."

to be continued
ImageImageImage