Mercury Torpedo Frigate

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Mercury Torpedo Frigate

Postby Natalya » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Image

The Assyrians need support vessels for their fleet. Having just one Destroyer isn't going to do any good against an enemy fleet with multiple ships. With that in mind, they developed the Mercury. This light frigate (by some standards it may even be a super heavy gunboat) was developed shortly after the events in the Caid Sector. Only one Assyrian soldier made it back, but he carried with him a micro-computer which recorded most of the battle. Using footage and data the Assyrians were able to reconstruct an experimental Rail Cannon that the Vol had fielded, which was found to be perfectly suitable as the main turret for this frigate. The frigate is designed to take on heavy fighters, but also has torpedoes to fire at larger targets.


Image

The frigate is powered by an engine almost as large as the hull itself, meaning it's quick for something its size.


Image

Up front we see the torpedo tube.


Image

Ready the launcher!!


Image

Fire Torpedo!!


Image

It also comes armed with two deployable Heavy Laser Cannons to be used against enemy fighters.


Image

Torpedo ready to fire, lasers deployed...


Image

Let's take a look inside. The most obvious thing from this angle is the crew compliment of 4. It has no living quarters though so this ship is only to be used in conjunction with a larger fleet.


Image

In the fore compartment (separated by a force-field portal) is the torpedo gunner. You can see an extra torpedo just next to him. That hatch swivels open, he loads it, closes the door, then the external hatch opens and the torpedo gets fired.


Image

Gunner on the left, pilot on the right. The gunner operates the Heavy Laser Cannons. The pilot obviously flies the ship, but he also mans the Rail Cannon.


Image

And last, the engineer in back. All crew members come armed in case of an enemy boarding party, but it wouldn't make much sense to board a ship this small. (44 studs long.)

Anyway, I hope y'all liked it.
Image
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"


Image
User avatar
Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
 
Posts: 5259
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: Now in Ontario

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:19 pm

It's pretty nice, weird shape, but still nice. The only thing I don't like is how rough the side laser doors look. I know it can't really be helped, seeing as you're using the bottom of the pieces, but it just takes away from the overall look. :?

I do like the side windows though, nice job. :)
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: America's conjoined twin.

Postby muffinman42 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

SO is it a frigate or a torpedo boat
User avatar
muffinman42
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Gale Crator

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Woo! More stuff from Natalya!

I actually just used those fence pieces the way you did for texture on an MoC. Maybe I'll upload it later today.

Nice shape overall, especially with the pillars on all the corners.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby Sloopofwar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:59 pm

44 studs is considered a frigate? I guess I have a frigate instead of a gunboat.
User avatar
Sloopofwar
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Postby The Shadowscythe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:00 pm

My frigate is 110 studs long, So I guess this would mean some form of re-classification on SHIP sizes - If this is a frigate, then my Frigate would have to be closer in designation to a Destroyer class vessel, and my up coming 240 stud long vessel some form of Heavy Cruiser or Destroyer - or perhaps the forums first true Battleship (as I'm really not sure how everyone classes different SHIP flavours).

However - I like the fact Natalya (intentionally or not) nabbed the idea I posted for my frigate of it not having living quarters and needing fleet support for long term deployment - which is rather awesome! 8)

I love the torpedo launcher designs - I had been working on something of my own along these lines, but abandoned the idea due to the fact I couldn't make it work - so much kudos is due. :wink:
Image

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show
Image

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
User avatar
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 am
Location: Lampeter, Wales

Postby muffinman42 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 pm

We all have diffrent definitions of what makes a frigate diffrent from a corvette(like modern countries).
I currently have no "space going" fleet at hand.


Im planing to make a microscale sea fleet though.
Based around the scale of this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaffeem/4 ... otostream/
User avatar
muffinman42
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Gale Crator

Postby dilanski » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:My frigate is 110 studs long, So I guess this would mean some form of re-classification on SHIP sizes - If this is a frigate, then my Frigate would have to be closer in designation to a Destroyer class vessel, and my up coming 240 stud long vessel some form of Heavy Cruiser or Destroyer - or perhaps the forums first true Battleship (as I'm really not sure how everyone classes different SHIP flavours).


?!! it cost me £150+5 years of lego collecting and i only got 200studs and the ship imploded under its own weight, in reality unless this is a down to bones ship with only one full deck and reinforcement it's impossible on minifig scale.(and i will twat out anyone who says james may)

@Natalya nice but way too small and dull, i would accept gunboat class, at most. double the size and re-think weaponary.
ImageImage
o/
User avatar
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Sloopofwar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:58 pm

He makes his ships on LDD. That would explain both the cost issue and the sturdiness.
User avatar
Sloopofwar
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Postby The Shadowscythe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:13 pm

dilanski wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:My frigate is 110 studs long, So I guess this would mean some form of re-classification on SHIP sizes - If this is a frigate, then my Frigate would have to be closer in designation to a Destroyer class vessel, and my up coming 240 stud long vessel some form of Heavy Cruiser or Destroyer - or perhaps the forums first true Battleship (as I'm really not sure how everyone classes different SHIP flavours).


?!! it cost me £150+5 years of lego collecting and I only got 200studs and the ship imploded under its own weight, in reality unless this is a down to bones ship with only one full deck and reinforcement it's impossible on minifig scale.(and I will twat out anyone who says james may)


James May =P

Sloopofwar wrote:He makes his ships on LDD. That would explain both the cost issue and the sturdiness.


True - but my frigate (probably destroyer class) and destroyer (now probably cruiser class) are built with two levels in each - and are based off of 16x32 grey base plates, and each level is supported and braced. It's a piece of piss to make a design in LDD and go "Hey there's my ship!" but it would fall apart the moment you tried to move it - I make damn sure my LDD designs are buildable in actual parts (which are the only things I lack).
Image

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show
Image

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
User avatar
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 am
Location: Lampeter, Wales

Postby dilanski » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:
dilanski wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:My frigate is 110 studs long, So I guess this would mean some form of re-classification on SHIP sizes - If this is a frigate, then my Frigate would have to be closer in designation to a Destroyer class vessel, and my up coming 240 stud long vessel some form of Heavy Cruiser or Destroyer - or perhaps the forums first true Battleship (as I'm really not sure how everyone classes different SHIP flavours).


?!! it cost me £150+5 years of lego collecting and I only got 200studs and the ship imploded under its own weight, in reality unless this is a down to bones ship with only one full deck and reinforcement it's impossible on minifig scale.(and I will twat out anyone who says james may)


James May =P

Sloopofwar wrote:He makes his ships on LDD. That would explain both the cost issue and the sturdiness.


True - but my frigate (probably destroyer class) and destroyer (now probably cruiser class) are built with two levels in each - and are based off of 16x32 grey base plates, and each level is supported and braced. It's a piece of piss to make a design in LDD and go "Hey there's my ship!" but it would fall apart the moment you tried to move it - I make damn sure my LDD designs are buildable in actual parts (which are the only things I lack).


Do you even know who James May is?
ImageImage
o/
User avatar
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby muffinman42 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

A sterdy ship is easy to make.
Start with a technic frame for the outer pannels, then build the rooms inside.
Their are several SHIPs over 300 studs long.

If it implodes on it's own weight then your building it wrong. Make sure you have a way of supporting the upper deck.
User avatar
muffinman42
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Gale Crator

Postby BFenix » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

i think its pretty awesome, I like those side lasers, kinda surprise if you don't look at it carefully. The best part is the inside, greatly done, but one question, what if one of the dudes has to pee?
lol nevermind, stupid question :roll:
I just don't like the engine... it would fit better if completely incorporated with the ship you know what I mean? but its pretty cool, nice job :D
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby dilanski » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 pm

muffinman42 wrote:A sterdy ship is easy to make.
Start with a technic frame for the outer pannels, then build the rooms inside.
Their are several SHIPs over 300 studs long.

If it implodes on it's own weight then your building it wrong. Make sure you have a way of supporting the upper deck.


all of them are non-mini scale they are built around massive internal techic frames and do not support mini-figs i'll admit there are ships like that but theyre mainly uninhabitable with large bloks of engines etc
ImageImage
o/
User avatar
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby muffinman42 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm

IF you think about what a space ship would need much of the ship's body would be taken up with fuel tanks and propellent tanks (or just fuel if it's nuclear) but most deigns don't really represent it well, the largest part of a long distance ship would be the tanks of fuel, the habitation area might be just be a rotating wheel (for gravity), seriously!


You don't need heavy-duty frameing for the insides, makeing the walls 3 thick so that you can fit cross braceing inside them is a good way.
Build a skelleton of the ship and then add the guts, don't build the guts and then try to link them up securely.
User avatar
muffinman42
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Gale Crator

Next

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests