Legal Chum - Buying BW2005

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

Legal Chum - Buying BW2005

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 pm

Ello mates. This question is directed mainly towards Stubhawk. I'd like to use an online service to buy a IRL hardcover copy of the Brikwars ruleset. I understand the privacy policy and wouldn't be selling them- but does releasing the rules to a publish-your-own website count as a violation of the policy?

And if this isn't going to get me a cease and desist letter, does anyone know of any good publishing websites?
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 am

I like lulu.com best. But the 2005 PDF has got some problems. I'd just wait for bw2010.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:40 am

I suppose this project receives your approval then. Cool. I'll probably wait.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby solvess » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:49 am

stubby do you make any money off of brikwars? if so how is the money made.
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."
solvess
Galidor

Postby stubby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm

solvess wrote:stubby do you make any money off of brikwars? if so how is the money made.

When I go to job interviews they say "you're the guy who made BrikWars!" and then they offer me lots of money. It worked great for me when I was freelancing, and it kept working great when I started going for fulltime jobs instead. So while I've never made any money off of it directly, I make a ton of money thanks to the jobs it gets me.

Obviously that's not why I made it or why I keep working on it, but it's definitely been a nice side benefit, and it's part of the reason why I've never worried too much about monetizing it directly.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby masterMISICK » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 pm

I always thought that a number of people put brikwars together in the first place?
But wow you did it all your self very impressive.
I like to look my enemy in the face through a high powered sniper rifle 2 miles away

Sorry for my retarded inability to spell.
masterMISICK
Minifig

Postby jmatthew » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 pm

masterMISICK wrote:I always thought that a number of people put brikwars together in the first place?
But wow you did it all your self very impressive.

Well, it wasn't all just him. He had the help of several demons which constantly torment him due to his dabbling in ancient and archaic magicks back when he was a lower level.
That, and a few lesser demons which don't "torment" so much as cause minor annoyance and throw in input which is mostly negative and unhelpful while they're rummaging through the fridge complaining that he never buys what they like to eat.
Those guys are douchebags though.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby Warhead » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:46 am

When some guys made up a set of rules with pictures about NetEpic Dark Eldar and Necrons (I bought a copy) there was something about taking photos of stuff made by Games Workshop. I think we had to use illustrations and only converted models made by the fans. But Lego is modular so how does that apply here. As soon as I put two blocks together it becomes MY creation surely.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Silent-sigfig » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:17 am

BW2010 can be found. It has some new rules, but not alot.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
TROLOLO
Silent-sigfig
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby stubby » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:28 am

So far anyway. Book 1 is mostly a streamlined version of the 2005 rules; there's some new stuff in there but the main changes are just tweaks to the old rules. Book 2 is where all the excitement happens, but it's still waiting for some graphics to be finished before I start uploading it. (You can tell from all the "insert image here" images in the Table of Contents.)

As for the photos, there's plenty of precedent for treating Lego and similar construction toys as a valid medium of authorial expression - the Brick Testament is a good example. The real worry is that I started using other people's photos, mainly a bunch of NELUG photos in 2005 and now a bunch of Warhead's as well for 2010. I tried to make sure I got permission from everybody, but I keep worrying I forgot one somewhere.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Tzan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 am

Just poking through the 2010 rules, which were easy to find.
I was reading the note about lightsabers, then I started thinking about different words besides beamsabers.

So I figured since Dungans use a Poo-on-a-Stick, they might also use a:

Peesaber: A 3 foot length of glowing yellow Dungan pee encased in an energy field.

It does normal weapon damage.

In addition it also does "splash" damage. All units adjacent to and including the attacked minifig suffer another normal attack. If successful the unit loses a turn wiping the pee off his face.
Dungan's are immune to splash damage from a Peesaber.

If losing a turn is too severe: The unit drops all carried items to wipe the pee off. This is a quick action and will cost 3" of movement. Picking up items off the ground is free.

-------------
Do we need a brown Poosaber?
A 3 foot length of glowing brown Dungan liquefied poo encased in an energy field.

Could use the same rules I suppose.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 pm

:D Yeah, and Golden Shower Grenades.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Silverdream wrote::oops: Please give me a link.
I will do all I can to regain my honor.

You are going to hate yourself (moar).

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/cover.htm

See anything that needs changing?
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby solvess » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:38 pm

that's the 2005 rules.
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."
solvess
Galidor

Postby Tzan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Good eye, yes it is.
Tzan
Pooplord

Next

Return to Announcements