They're all the rage

Moderators: Kommander Ken, Elmagnifico, Duerer, BrickSyd

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Operation Mastercutor (Round 8)

Post by Craigallot » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:18 am

Round 8

Lt. Myrna - theblackdog

Myrna bravely steered her fighter straight through the enemy's defence systems, going for the Crucifix...

"Duchess! An enemy fighter has docked the bay, the pilot is coming our way!"

"In God's name! Send the marines!"

"But Duchess, there are none left!"

"You go, then."

Myrna was running through the corridor her torpedo had previously devastated, beamsabre drawn and stolen blaster at her side...

... and it wasn't long before she met opposition.

Without hesitation Myrna opened fire, but the pilot's armour took the blast.

He then attacked, the savage blow nearly knocking Myrna off balance.

Crucifix - Warhead

The second blow penetrated the lieutenant's defences and sent her staggering backwards, but luckily for Myrna it wasn't a lethal hit.

The Crucifix meanwhile barged forward, the remaining pilot increasing the weapon's output and the Duchess firing the turrets on the Mastercutor... ineffectively. (HF failed)

On board the Mastercutor, the battle rages on...

The commanding pilot blocked her enemy's slash with her shield... and then promptly cut him in half (forgot to take the pic, apparently).

Another droid was destroyed in the melee.

Mastercutor - me

The final two Mobhunters flew for the Crucifix, evoking fire from the automatic systems...

The tower bestowed fiery death on one of the pilots, while the other made it past the autolaser.

"Another pilot is coming our way, Duchess!"

"Concentrate on the Mastercutor! I will exterminate these heathens myself if I have to."

The pilot arrived in time to aid Myrna, who was still having a hard time.

He caught his counterpart off guard, but the beamsabre failed to pierce the thick armour.

The Mastercutor moved forward slowly, bringing 4 out of 5 point defence towers in range. They quickly opened fire like they had done against the Lady Vega.

The humongous damage roll.

"Time to leave chaps! Every man for himself!"

I even allowed the Brittanian ship +1 armour because the + armour from last round should have worked (because of the skill mod feat), but it was to no avail. The Mastercutor's systems ripped clean through it.

Boom.

The cruiser then turned with all it had, and opened up with all it had...

The Crucifix's shields did away with most damage pretty well, but the hull still took a hit from the missiles, bringing it down to 3 SP (the same as the Mastercutor).

Pilot (through comlink): "Ehh, sir, wouldn't it be better to hold your fire while we are on board?"

"Don't vorry. It vill not blow up zo eazily."

Another conquistador was gunned down by the wolves.

The pilot then called upon the farce...

Critical success! The conquistadors were pulled off the ground ever so slightly, and reached for their throats as they began to choke.

"Milady, the boarding crew has failed!"

"Do I have to do everything myself? Don't tell anyone you saw this." *click*

The conquistadors exploded, both dealing a size 2 explosion, which took the final droid with them. The remaining Prussians were knocked back but otherwise okay.

"Vell vell vell. Dis zeemz checkmate, ja? Zurrender now, und I'll let you live. I might even zpare your men. They'll make vine test subjects."

"You really thought I'd give in to that, Prussian dog? I'll never be taken prisoner! You'll have to come get me yourself. My men are ready to die for my honour."

"Vine. Den die they vill."

Overviews

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 am

I swear, those point defense towers are more destructive than most of the actual weaponry.

Pity about the gunboat. I wanted to ram it with the Crucifix after I'd killed the crew and seized control.
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Win or lose I could care less, I've had a great time playing this game and the Fleet action really works well combined with the boarding actions just like in BlackDogs reports. I hope to see more of this you guys, and well done Brag, very exciting and entertaining.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Damn, can that Crucifix take a beating! Barrage after barrage, even an entire ship ramming into it! I can't wait to see it burn. :twisted:

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Post by Craigallot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Yeah blackdog it's 'cos there's many of them, but you have to get really close to use them and simply the size of the ship alone doesn't always permit to use them all even when you're almost scraping the other ship. I must say you dealt almost just as much damage with just a gunboat and a fighter, lol :lol:

I agree Warhead, I tried to make this as evenly balanced as possible, and it was definitely really challenging. There were some really close calls and either side could've really won. Of course, this will be reflected in the result towards the campaign so the losing side's efforts will not have been completely in vain ;) The Immortal War is also a nice plot to work with, I hope people will do more battles about it soon.

I might do another space battle some time because I certainly had fun with this one, hopefully I'll be able to upgrade the Dragonheads (they were supposed to have 4 turrets and 2 single missile launchers but I didn't have the parts) and build some more ships before that.