Trattorian Navy

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: Trattorian Navy

Post by cleanupcrew » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 pm

I understand :rule7: , but this discussion on naval strategy has gotten out of hand (complete with numbered figures!) and I'd really like to keep this thread about my microships. Could you please take it elsewhere in a new thread?

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Colette wrote:I understand :rule7: , but this discussion on naval strategy has gotten out of hand (complete with numbered figures!) and I'd really like to keep this thread about my microships. Could you please take it elsewhere in a new thread?
Ok, fair enough. We can discuss this elsewhere.

Awesome ships, BTW, especially the civilian ones. I like how they have there own distinct look, instead of looking like the military versions.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 pm

//CERTAIN PORTIONS OF THIS FILE ARE CLASSIFIED. PLEASE ENTER CREDENTIALS.

USERNAME: [email protected]

PASSWORD: *******************

PASSWORD CORRECT; ACCESS GRANTED

IDENTIFICATION: ************3255

SERIAL NUMBER: ********-**********-*****G4H4

CONFIRM PASSWORD: ***********

//SECURITY CLEARANCE RECOGNIZED AS LEVEL 3.5-P

//Subject: Heisenberg-class Battleship, Quantum-Tunnel Cannon variant

On the surface, not much has changed on the Heisenberg-class. Its current design and armament were deemed satisfactory when compared with similar battleships in other star empires, including the Heathen and Emperor classes.

The Quantum-Tunnel Cannon represents the new addition to the Heisenberg. The Armed Forces Department often complained that the particle accelerator ring possessed little combat use, as true intergalactic capacity was rarely utilized in conventional military operations, while increasing the mass and target size of the Heisenberg. Thus, the Quantum-Tunnel Cannon utilizes the Heisenberg's onboard particle accelerator to provide sufficient energy to teleport shells directly into the interior of enemy ships, bypassing armored plating and shields. This could allow the Heisenberg to destroy a ship in one shot by firing directly into its bridge or power core.

Although Trattoria is in possession of advanced teleportation technology of several kinds (see Dr. Forbes's brief summary of Trattorian teleporters), it was only after Black Box Bureau researchers examined wreckage and footage of engagements with the Shraag and their meson-bolt cannons did they realize its potential as a weapons system. Taking advantage of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and the resulting phenomenon of quantum tunneling, the Physics Department produced a stripped-down monoterminal teleportation system capable of delivering munitions to enemy ships. This version has the benefit of only transporting the ammunition material and requiring prohibitive energy and computing costs, reducing its potential value to any nations who might salvage a wreck.

Regrettably, the Heisenberg only carries four units of ammunition for the Quantum-Tunnel Cannon. The cannon is also easily rendered dysfunctional by inducing a break in the particle accelerator ring. Perhaps the greatest design flaw is that the ammunition is stored next to the shield and power generators and the quantum-tunnel cannon directly leads to them, allowing a lucky shot to destroy the Heisenberg in one hit. The main engine also had to be sacrificed to make room for the cannon, further reducing the Heisenberg's already unimpressive subluminal speed.

The Quantum-Tunnel Cannon works by injecting the ammunition into the particle accelerator to accelerate it to relativistic velocities. The resulting angular velocity then becomes:
Afterwards, [DATA EXPUNGED]. After the ammunition undergoes [DATA EXPUNGED], it is reinjected into the Quantum-Tunnel Cannon, where it teleported and impacts the target (usually the interior of the ship) at its accelerator exit velocity.
Spoiler
Show
tl;dr I basically added something that should have gone on the ship originally. Although the intergalactic drive is nice, I thought the big honking particle accelerator ring deserved an actually useful function in battle.
Last edited by cleanupcrew on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Awesome, I can't wait to exploit this weakness. Maybe every big ship should have an Achilles' heel.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 am

loafofcheese wrote:This is why I can't get into microspace, I consider the third dimension too much and end up building boxes of guns.
And that's bad... how exactly?
Colette wrote:
loafofcheese wrote:This is why I can't get into microspace, I consider the third dimension too much and end up building boxes of guns.
We all know space is an ocean. Ordinarily I like to err on the side of realism, but height differences in LDD really are that much of a pain in the ass.
I've begun using sticks myself...

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:19 am

WHITEAGLE GET YOUR LDD SHIT OUT OF MY THREAD THIS INSTANT

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 am

Nice stuff, Colette. The battleship has a pretty nifty design and it faintly reminds me of something...

Those Whiteagle sticks, though.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:46 am

Kommander Ken wrote:Nice stuff, Colette. The battleship has a pretty nifty design and it faintly reminds me of something...
they remind me of Starbases.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Honore
pry my ass from my cold dead hands

Post by Honore » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:08 am

The ships weakness is that it takes so much room for weapons and power, that it has no room for storage of food, so you can easily starve the occupants in a prolong siege.
"Psychiatrists are just not smart enough to be psychics."

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:42 pm

HonoreBalzac wrote:The ships weakness is that it takes so much room for weapons and power, that it has no room for storage of food, so you can easily starve the occupants in a prolong siege.
Please see this post for a cruise ship.

In all seriousness, a battleship is a mobile installation. Unless it runs out of fuel or its FTL gets jammed, a battleship cannot be "sieged" for such an extended period. Besides, I imagine that the thick part above the generators and maybe some of the spoke bases contain crew facilities. If all else fails, an AI can take over, although this is usually avoided due to the potential of said AI going rogue.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:29 pm

The Euler-class dreadnought TNF Euler's Number in orbit over the shipyard planet Mirai.

The Euler-class flagship is a third-generation dreadnought design. Many Trattorian Strategos complained that the Dirac-class star juggernaut’s ability to destroy entire star systems was inappropriate overkill for most operations, and that its ancillary armaments were inadequate. They desired a large modern ship focused on command and control and more suited to conventional engagements.

Further, Stratego Dr. Shiina’s Operation Monodromy proposal required a dreadnought-sized C&C vessel capable of intergalactic travel to complement the Heisenberg-class battleship. The latter alone was deemed insufficient for the objectives of Operation Monodromy, but its design informed its wheeled larger counterpart in the Euler. Operation Monodromy remains pending approval of the Trattorian Legislature, as well as of the Foreign Relations Department’s diplomatic efforts with the Praetorian and Scythian Empires.

The Euler-class is the largest dreadnought ever produced by Trattoria, or by any empire in the BrikVerse so far. The floral design was chosen to maximize mounting gun emplacements while minimizing surface area presented to the enemy, and also to accommodate the massive particle accelerator ring. The latter supports intergalactic travel as well as the largest Quantum Tunnel Cannon ever mounted on a ship. It can also be used for particle physics experiments when off-duty.

Side view.

The Euler-class mounts 184 dreadnought-sized turrets, outclassing every other dreadnought in firepower by an order or two of magnitude. Further, the Euler is capable of spinning and raining all this firepower on a single unfortunate target.

The bottom holds 4 fighter bays, with a collective capacity of 1200 fighters and rivaling even the Nimitz-class supercarrier of the USA.

It also holds an opening missile silo packed with 16 Inter-Galactic Ballistic Missiles, each as long as a capital ship and capable of reaching Trion from Trattoria in fewer than 30 minutes or New Praetoria in less than an hour. Each missile is topped with multiple independent reentry vehicles equipped with negative strangelet planet buster warheads, which can destroy an entire planet by converting all of its matter into strange-flavored quarks. Their use requires either the signature of the Trattorian President, a majority vote of the Council of Scientists, or the authorization of the Trattorian Legislature.

The domed bridge is literally the size of a small city, although thanks to extensive automation the Euler is designed to be manned by a relatively small skeleton crew. Most Trattorian Strategos expect to command their campaigns from these ships.
Spoiler
Show
Inevitable size comparison. The Euler is 512 studs long, beating out even the previous champion (my Dirac) and dwarfing any other factions’ ships.

Omega Prime
Cannon Fodder

Post by Omega Prime » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:36 pm

wow, an update. Also, oh fuck! Sick design!
gotta love knitting needles. i can make you a scarf. i can make a hat. i can stab your eyes out. i can make mittens.

What was that middle part again?

i can make a hat