Handling Brikburnout

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderators: mercury19, dilanski

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Handling Brikburnout

Post by AZKAMAT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

So, how do you do it? No, really.

I recently came back on after being gone since I believe June after realizing the HH was on and I'd be expected to appear. That isn't the point of this thread though.

The subject is what I call Brikburnout.

Let me explain.

Back in June I had shot the last battle report I posted, a relatively small infantry skirmish inspired by (then) Stalinsfavoritekhat's lore. Immediately afterward I set about doing an army photo shoot for my (massive) pet faction. At this point I was still reeling from the amount of energy I'd had to dump into my HH entry...and it was just too much. I just kinda stalled out and went into other stuff.

Only now, months later, could I even THINK of getting into brick-based anything and I'm not making an entry (though not just because of brikburnout; let the people with 0 wins have a clear shot for the title is what I want).

I was wondering if anyone else gets like this. I've been into brikwars for years now and this isn't the first time I've just gotten spent on it and taken a LONG break. If so, how do you guys deal with? Are you proactive or just let it all happen naturally?
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: Handling Brikburnout

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 am

Recently I've ramped up my investment in Brikwars. This is part of my natural cycle where my interest in something peaks for a while and then suddenly collapses from burnout and whatever the next most interesting thing is. I believe I should be able to make it to March before the content dries up. In the grand cosmic scheme of things, Brikwars is not all that important, so I'm happy to let it be a tertiary part of my life for some time. Other things are more important. For those, I just try to make sure someone else will be able to carry the torch after me.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Post by sahasrahla » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 am

i keep wanting to build stuff, but i have limited time and competing priorities... being an adult sucks

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I feel like it's a natural cycle. Regardless of the subject or activity, after a period of engagement your brain needs periods of downtime to properly synthesize all the experiences. When you come back fresh, you find that your creativity, ideas, and skill have mysteriously benefited from all that time left free to chug away in your subconscious.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm

I usually send the spring and summer doing outside stuff, and accumulating bricks. Then when it is winter and I'm snowed in, I can build. Also the summer helps me come up with ideas. You get a lot of stuff sorted out in your mind, when your riding a tractor, or digging holes.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Maraxous wrote:I usually send the spring and summer doing outside stuff, and accumulating bricks. Then when it is winter and I'm snowed in, I can build. Also the summer helps me come up with ideas. You get a lot of stuff sorted out in your mind, when your riding a tractor, or digging holes.
Are you a farmer? Can you teach me how to farm, because I'm a city kid who just got a yard and needs guidance.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 am

It seems that I am on the good end of a brikburnout, since I am finally getting back into rebuilding and remaking all my old stuff. I had a lapse in building a while back, but I agree that it's all part of a cycle of interests. Once a person has reached a certain point, they need new life experiences to consciously or unconsciously translate into new material to use for builds or stories.
Darkstorm will rise! Someday? Probably tomorrow.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
I swear I'm not dead, just dead inside
My bi-annual visit trend continues! See you in 6 months as usual.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 am

My tip would be to never force things. That's when the Burnout gets real bad. Do only what you want to do.

Also, if you need some time off, then take some time off. The forum isn't going anywhere.

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Are you a farmer? Can you teach me how to farm, because I'm a city kid who just got a yard and needs guidance
Lol I am not a farmer, but I live in a rural community so I help the real farmers sometimes.