Dahdee and Sara. A short story.

BrikWars fiction in long-prose form. Trigger warning: Walls of text

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Quantumsurfer

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Re: Dahdee and Sara. A short story.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:36 pm

>STARTING TWENTY NINTH ENTRY.

>- 3 YEARS FROM OPENING ENTRY.

>AUDIO RECORDING FROM SHIP CAPTAINS LOG.

The pain gets worse daily, I push my way through it. I still talk to Sara daily. Apparently they made a discovery a few days ago, maybe a week.

Radio and video signals, weak and old – from Earth. Hundreds of years old. The very first transmissions to escape our cradle.

The Teth are now seeing our history as it happened for the first time. Part intruiged, part terrified they are putting a mission together with Sara at the helm. To make the first official “contact” with mankind. It’s been 23 years since we where lost in space.

She will be the first human to return from being lost in space to such an extreme, and bringing a first contact situation to boot. She is going to be famous in two different situations and over dozens of worlds.

She didn’t come around to see me again. We spoke briefly from the launch site as they prepared for another launch, the mission is weeks away.

We tell each other that we love each other and then depart. It’s heartbreaking but she has her path to walk as I have mine. Time to prepare.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

The Shadowscythe
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:37 pm

>STARTING THIRTIETH ENTRY.

>- 1 YEAR FROM OPENING ENTRY.

Sara has been gone for two years, FTL comms report she has made contact – jumping right in the middle of the trade convoy path of Rigel Kentaurus and scaring the crap out of a local heavy cruiser before making first contact. Everything is slow going now.

I cried all night in happiness and pride before the pain kicked in, then I hobbled my way into bed as the sun rose.

I miss her.
Spoiler
Show

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:38 pm

>FINAL ENTRY

>- 1 WEEK FROM OPENING ENTRY.

I have just gotten the word from Yaaluf – I have little over a week left to live. Sara is still a month away.

I wish I hadn't been such a coward about this before.

I told her via the FTL comm. There where tears on both sides, and more than a little awkwardness. I told her not to blame herself for being so far away. I let her walk her path, she should stand out and do everything she wants to do, learn everything she wants to learn. No reason for some daft, weak old man to hold her back any more. When the channel finally closed we set about getting my affairs in order. Yaaluf has been a friend since the start, there is no one else on this world I trust to help me in these final days.

One last entry after this. I need to figure out the words. Might take some time.

Everything hurts so damn much.

>//ENTRY ADDENDUM

>CAPTAIN – AARON DAVIS.

>REGISTERED CIVILIAN TRADE FRIEGHTER “THIS SIDE UP”

>DECEASED.

>PASSED IN SLEEP. AGED 67. APRIL 12 2387 A.D.
Spoiler
Show

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Aaaaaand, that's the end of my fist full of feels - if you made it this far, congrats. Pat yourselves on the back and leave some comments and criticism - and I may turn my hand to something similar to this again some time in the future.
Spoiler
Show

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 pm

I would have posted an applause gif, but I'm on my phone.

Well done good sir, we need more creative jaunts like this.

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:25 pm

FTL drive? Way to rip off halo

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:FTL drive? Way to rip off halo
Technically FTL has probably existed as a concept since Einstein published his theory of special relativity in 1905. Even so, Halo is a latecomer to the concept of FTL compared to more influential scifi works like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. It's like claiming GW invented Space Marines.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:18 am

Incredible, Scythe...just...very beautiful.

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 am

Colette wrote:
Technically FTL has probably existed as a concept since Einstein published his theory of special relativity in 1905. Even so, Halo is a latecomer to the concept of FTL compared to more influential scifi works like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. It's like claiming GW invented Space Marines.
Not only this, but he has completely ignored Halos own version of space travel, which is FTL via an alternate dimension, using the shaw-fukujima slipspace drive - which is never referred to as an FTL drive or FTL but as a Slipspace drive and slipspace respectively.

If I was ripping off anything I was ripping of battlestar galactica and their version of bypassing the speed of light, which is an FTL drive that works via a form of point to point teleportation, which I also use with the Scythian Empire.

But, getting back to the point, FTL is an age old trope - same as many other tropes you will find throughout the genre.

If that is the only thing that you can say, getting anoraked on a trope rather than the feels I tried to work in, then I feel very, very sorry for you brikguy.
Spoiler
Show

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 am

The Shadowscythe wrote:
Colette wrote:
Not only this, but he has completely ignored Halos own version of space travel, which is FTL via an alternate dimension, using the shaw-fukujima slipspace drive - which is never referred to as an FTL drive or FTL but as a Slipspace drive and slipspace respectively.

If I was ripping off anything I was ripping of battlestar galactica and their version of bypassing the speed of light, which is an FTL drive that works via a form of point to point teleportation, which I also use with the Scythian Empire.

But, getting back to the point, FTL is an age old trope - same as many other tropes you will find throughout the genre.

If that is the only thing that you can say, getting anoraked on a trope rather than the feels I tried to work in, then I feel very, very sorry for you brikguy.
I've heard them call it FTL drive, that was also the only place I had ever heard the term, that and I'm nt saying this wisent awesome
Last edited by Brikguy0410 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 am

Brikguy0410 wrote: I've hard them call it FTL drive, that was also the only place I had ever heard the term, that and I'm nt saying this wisent awesome
heh. you "hard" them :warhead:
Also, call yourself a nerd and have only heard of FTL drives in HALO? :wtc:
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 am

Nimja wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote: I've hard them call it FTL drive, that was also the only place I had ever heard the term, that and I'm nt saying this wisent awesome
goddam auto correct also I watch battlestar galactic, the x files and Star Wars the clone wars among other things

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:
Nimja wrote:
goddam auto correct also I watch battlestar galactic, the x files and Star Wars the clone wars among other things
*galactica. seriously, just stop posting from your phone. WHY WATCH THE CLONE WARS THOUGH?
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Brikguy0410

Post by Brikguy0410 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:03 am

Nimja wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote:
Nimja wrote:
*galactica. seriously, just stop posting from your phone. WHY WATCH THE CLONE WARS THOUGH?
Because it rocks, also I will no longer gunk up an awesome post like this with this kind of shit, go to thunderdumb

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

I normally don't like bricfics. Too much gritty military bullshit.

This was brilliant though. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and it really worked on an emotional level.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D