BrikFiction Festival 2016

BrikWars fiction in long-prose form. Trigger warning: Walls of text

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Quantumsurfer

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: BrikFiction Festival 2016

Post by Zupponn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Oh, shit, really? I misread that (or misremembered it). Maybe make the theme a tiebreaker/goodwill type thing? That way it matters but isn't restrictive.
Yeah, maybe. It worked so well last year with Skeleton War, but I'll have a whole year to ponder it before making a decision.

Scratch
Reihawk

Post by Scratch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I'll be a judgeman.
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.
All you have to do is flatten his head.
Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.
Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:26 am

Thank you, sir.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 am

Also, posting is open. I got caught up in the shitshow that was our election day, so forgot to post. But yeah, have at. Don't feel like you have to wait for judge slots to fill up either. Judging isn't for almost two months, anyway. But we do need a third judge is anyone is willing. Please.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:20 am

Please Clap.

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:36 am

I hate reading and I never read brikfics because of their formatting; that said if you need someone that badly Jeb
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:39 am

If you don't really want to, I'll keep looking. If I can't find anyone by Jan and you are still offering, I'll put you up. Thanks for the offer.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:22 pm

One month remaining.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 am

18 days remain.
Looks like a dud this year.
I'm probably still going to write something if I can manage to summon the time and energy.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:57 am

I had an idea to write very short brikfiction vignettes for the rulebook sidebars, all starting with "There is one truth in the BrikVerse." You can see a quick one I just wrote at the top of Chapter D, but I think it doesn't meet the 500-word minimum of this year's brikficfest.

Tbh though I'd be a lot more excited about brikfictions in general if they were more bite-sized and evocative. The big wall-of-text ones can get pretty grueling after the first couple entries. (And also there's no way for me to steal them for the rulebook.)
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:10 am

I actually am working with an idea for an entry right now. I'm just nervous to find out if my writing skills are up to par with everyone else's. It'd be cool to do something a little different too.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 pm

stubby wrote:I had an idea to write very short brikfiction vignettes for the rulebook sidebars, all starting with "There is one truth in the BrikVerse." You can see a quick one I just wrote at the top of Chapter D,
NIce! :D

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 pm

stubby wrote:I had an idea to write very short brikfiction vignettes for the rulebook sidebars, all starting with "There is one truth in the BrikVerse." You can see a quick one I just wrote at the top of Chapter D, but I think it doesn't meet the 500-word minimum of this year's brikficfest.

Tbh though I'd be a lot more excited about brikfictions in general if they were more bite-sized and evocative. The big wall-of-text ones can get pretty grueling after the first couple entries. (And also there's no way for me to steal them for the rulebook.)
I...god dammit, I should have thought of that. I don't know if you've caught any of my social media posts about it, but I occasionally get a writing bug up my ass. A while ago, I converted an unused blog of mine into a repository for the snippets I come up with when infected. I have little endurance so a lot of what I write is really short. It even started with me posting fiction snippets to facebook. I call them shotgun stories and most of them are meant to be exactly as you described, bite-sized and evocative. I feel silly.

Also, this contest is meant to provide an easy and fun creative outlet for the writers among us. I specifically went out of my way last year (and this continues this year) to try to lower the barriers to entry. For example, the mechanical parts of writing are only used as a tiebreaker category. The goal is to tell stories and expand on our ideas so I didn't want anyone intimidated out by a spelling and grammar category.

Also, Also, the idea that folks could contribute to the fluff in your rulebook in yet another way is really very cool.

So: Minimum Word Count lifted. If anyone has any ideas for how to better shape this contest in the direction we want, please let me know.
Kommander Ken wrote:I actually am working with an idea for an entry right now. I'm just nervous to find out if my writing skills are up to par with everyone else's. It'd be cool to do something a little different too.
Anything goes, Ken. And man, with your record for storytelling, I'm sure whatever you submit will be quite good.

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 pm

While I prolly won't submit anything this year, I'll make sure to get the Wikipedia article I'm working on to Featured status just for you, Quantum. <3

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:37 am

Whatever you can do is appreciated, Loremaster Vami.