BrikWaRPG, Collaboration Edition

Design and development of games, Brik-related or otherwise. Includes BrikWaRPGS.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Back in the beginning of 2015, BrickSyd, DevinCP, and I set about combining our ideas to make a BrikWaRPG ruleset. I'm sure many people here fondly remember BrickSyd's forum rpg and I know a couple of people remember my overly verbose volume. I was meant to finish the write up on it but never got around to it. It's ready to go now, though. I tried to take into account some of the constructive criticism I got from the Quantumsurfer Edition. Loosen up the text, call out key concepts, pare it down, clean it up, etc. Please let me know where this still needs work, if you're so inclined. As for Driving Concept, I tried to put a framework on what we had without speaking for the others.

I did my best not to change anything (I don't know if either of those guys are around anymore and I didn't want to change anything without their permission). What I did cut was the crossover stuff from my own work. This edition is less than a third the size of my own volume and I would stress that players really only need to read the first half. Even so, I understand that reading rules makes some folks go crosseyed, especially when they're written by amateurs like us, so I developed a 2 page Short Version.

BrickSyd and Devin, if you are around, and I missed something, let me know. I was working from old notes.

Please enjoy,

EDIT: I reorganized, so this post is now updated with a link to the drive folder which includes everything.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: BrikWaRPG, Collaboration Edition

Post by Zupponn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Now, this is not just bonus material. This is boner material.

BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Post by BriksKrieg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 pm

When I try to select one of those links, it asks me to select a Google account. At least it does when on my tablet. Why?
:troll:
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.
ninja_bait wrote:I am vaguely aware that head pats are a weeb thing and weeb things are usually lewd

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:15 pm

BriksKrieg wrote:When I try to select one of those links, it asks me to select a Google account. At least it does when on my tablet. Why?
They're in Google docs
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Characters may not naturally recover from death
aww :roll:

I remember trying to do a BrikWaRPG back in the day. As such, here are a few of my concerns that you may want to clear up for the rulebook:
  • -I like the idea of grinding instead of making a hitpoint system, which led to near-invincibility in my games. However, the mechanic for 'rest' that gains back grind points seems odd, since all of the Brikwarpg games I've seen have been turn-based like forum battles- what defines a 'short rest' or 'a whole day' in turns?
    -In my opinion, the gear kits are a little odd to me. You mention that they would be priced as 1/2 a collection of items, but later say they are used as a tool to reroll skill? Please clarify this for me and for the rulebook, as it is unclear.
    -I missed the part in the book that talks about collecting cp. I caught that a character begins with 5cp, but didn't see any mechanic for collecting more. Is it just a simple dropped xp=dropped cp, or 1/2 the original cp of the killed or specially-interacted-with thing? I may have just passed over it. *note- after searching, I found the place where it's at. However, I still would like to see a base system of cp distribution as opposed to it be completely up to the discretion of the SB. At least put a guideline for the SB to go off of, such as the aforementioned ideas.
    -Under power on page 7, it says sets (dice set progression) are limited by size? Why would size matter for a skill roll? *note- I just understood this after re-reading the thing several times. Please clarify that the step-up in sets transitions from 2d6 to 1d10+1d4, and so on. That tripped me up upon a first-read, and I assume we are going for making this easy to read.
Otherwise, I enjoyed this condensation of the various rulesets, as well as the even more condensed version. I may beta-test this version out after my current forum battle. Well done! :tiger: :omnom:
Darkstorm will rise! Someday? Probably tomorrow.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
I swear I'm not dead, just dead inside
My bi-annual visit trend continues! See you in 6 months as usual.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Darkstorm wrote:what defines a 'short rest' or 'a whole day' in turns?
This would normally be at StoryBuilder discretion, based on the needs of the story. But you make a fantastic point, most games are done turn by turn and there should probably be bleeding off rules for healing over time by turn. Good call.

For my part, I'd say turn by turn will likely keep the action up and healing 1 Grinding per turn might be a little slow. But it gives us a starting point. I might bump that up to 2 per turn. Maybe include areas or items that increase natural healing per turn. I'd need to playtest it.
Darkstorm wrote:the gear kits are a little odd to me.
Gear Kits can be either a bunch of items grouped together to some common purpose or a single item used for a singular purpose. That should probably be exactly stated somewhere. If it's a collection of items, add up the cost of all the items and then halve it. If it's a singular item, buy it at full price. The kit itself is what is used to make the reroll (I use my medkit to do some medikal healing on my friend). The stuff inside is just for pricing and flavor. Honestly, the name of the kit should be enough and it's a bother to concern yourself with more than that.

Of course, this was a lazy holdover, I think. There aren't prices for a lot of items, so how would you add them up in the first place? For my part, I would say that any item that isn't priced already costs 1 CP. As a SB, I might make bigger, fancier items cost up to a couple of CP more. It gets more complicated when you get into the larger Gear Kits (Levels 2 and 3) but to keep it simple, I would just add those basic costs to the cost of a vehicle or a building. Like a Level 2 Gear Kit might be an Ambulance, so say whatever the cost of the Ambulance is + 5-10 CP to stock it. A small hospital might be a Level 3 Gear Kit, so the building + 10-20 CP to stock it.
Darkstorm wrote:I still would like to see a base system of cp distribution
That's a possibility for a future version, yeah. If only so the SB has a good idea how to scale CP.

If I were SBing, I don't think I'd be too free with the CP. Costs are pretty low as it is given that CP was intended as a balancing mechanic and not really as a gold economy. It still works, you just have to be careful with it. Off the top of my head, for playtest, 1 CP per Important Interaction seems fair. Maybe 2 or 3 if it was really badass or fun.
Darkstorm wrote:Please clarify that the step-up in sets transitions from 2d6 to 1d10+1d4
You're right, a sentence would have cleared that up some.
Darkstorm wrote:I may beta-test this version out after my current forum battle
I'm glad you liked it. Please do. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

BrickSyd
Cannon Fodder

Post by BrickSyd » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Very well done :tiger: