Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Maraxous wrote:Kind of a dumb question, but . . . If I fire into a Phalanx Shield wall with an explosive they don't automatically parry that do they? :mystery: I ruled that they don't, but the boys think the should be able to tank it out.
They automatically Parry one die of damage, but not the Knockback. If it's a 1d10 explosion, they'll take no damage but everyone in the blast radius will be knocked over.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 am

You could try to lob the explosive over their shields, I suppose.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

domminniti
Champion
Champion

Post by domminniti » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 am

Hi

I've been playing around with the rules for a while now but I'd like clarification on a few things. I know, I know, I should just fudge it, and I apologise for being anoraky, but I like to know the rules fully so I can decide when and where to fudge it depending on my mood and the number of units left.

1) if a rider is hit by a heavy weapon, are they knocked off a mount and distupted? what about a 2h weapon
2) do 2h or heavy weapons deal 1" knockback as usual when doing charge attacks - is this added to the knockback in the knockback phase or does it happen automatically before or after this phase?
3) Does the rider gain any momentum when riding a horse? In the examples it seems the horse/rider combo only ever has 2 mom to spend, despite having a combined size of 3. What about if the horse is killed, or they are seperated somehow = eg the horse has 2 mom but is killed by a pike before the rider can joust, does the rider inherit any mom from the mount when he flies forward

4) just checking I've got the order right for a horseman jousting a spearman with action ready, where the spearman's spear is 1" shorter so goes second, and the horseman has extra inches of move left leading to a collision
horseman rolls for lance
if hits, deals 2 skill damage ( - any parry or deflection) + up to 2d6 mom damage
if spearman alive any remaining mom not spent on damage can (or must?) be spent on d6 knockback

if spearman still alive (and undisrupted?) he attacks as he has an action
spearman rolls to hit
if hits
spearman deals d skill +2 ( - any parry or deflection) + up to 1d6 mom damage if spearman was also charging with mom
if horse/rider alive - deliver any knockback as above
if all alive, and horse/rider undisrupted
horse rolls for kick
if hits
horse deals d skill ( - any parry or deflection) + up to 2d6 mom damage if any remains

if all alive and undisrputed , collision occurs
if either unit has weight class > 1, deal weight x d6 of crash damage , limited by all total remaining moms to the other unit. mom not spent
if both alive and undisrputed
roll each units remaining mom against pop and calculate knockback inches and deliver knockback

if spearman disrupted and in line of charge, and horse has effective weight>2
spearman takes 1 trample damage

Or would you suggest fudging it and combining the horse and rider attacks into one phase? Likewise should the lance/spear hits and the crash hits be combined into one phase of knockback?

5) disruption/ angry inch -
2010 rules
if a unit is disrupted, can he deliver any counterattacks? Eg Albert (2h) hits bob (heavy spear and shield ), Albert hits, bob parries. bob is disrupted and knocked back. albert has 1d6 damage but rolls 2. Can Bob use his angry inch to get up and get in range to use his heavy spear to counterattack with no penalty?
if Alan (spear and shield ) attempts a push on Barry (2 short weapons) with his shield, Barry elects not to counter and Alan rolls 3 so the push works. Can Barry then use his angry inch back up to deliver a 1h strike? If Alan then attacks with spear and misses, and Barry doesn't counter, can Barry then counterattack with his remaining hand?
2018 rules
Similar to above, but at least is more useful as if the disrupting attack fails, the disrupted unit stays disrupted so another minfig and use their moves and angry inches to land automatic hits against the disrupted unit for the remainder or the turn.

6) Burst Fire
Can someone give me a scenario where a burst or 3 or more is actually advantageous? Even when rolling d8's and with a 1" gun, the extra inaccuracy and the extreme chance or a reload next turn make it worse than a single shot, a arc or a 2 round burst. I've run some calculations using expectation values, and it seems like you get fewer hits as the burst increases (it was a very complicated calculation due to overskill and criticals, so I'm possibly wrong). Would a rule that said if the roll was less than the current shot number (as opposed to the burst penalty) then the gun stops firing and requires a reload. This makes sense flavour wise, as each shot has an increased chance of not having ammo left as you fire longer burst. The current rules as I understand them mean that if I was to attempt a 5 shot burst, the first shot is very likely to be out of ammo and stop there.

7) Arc fire range
Do targets in the arc but out of range get a chance to be hit, with the usual damage and aim penalties? I assumed not, but I coudn't find it in the rules

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Trying to catch myself up on 2010 rule stuff.

6) How does weapon modding work on Bastard size mini fig weapons? Say I’m modding a regular long range rifle. If I take the high powered mod is damage now 2d6 or 2d6+1? If I pair that with the close quarter mod, is range now 6” or 5”?
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:03 am

Can a Marksman use Marksmenship with a rocket launcher?

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Whoa, I've been neglecting this thread for a long time. (cracks knuckles)

domminniti wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 am
1) if a rider is hit by a heavy weapon, are they knocked off a mount and distupted? what about a 2h weapon
I've added a section to H.3: Fighting From Horseback that should clear a lot of this up.

Any KnockBack of 1" or more to a regular minifig, including from hits with a Heavy or Two-Handed Weapon, unseats and Disrupts them. In most cases they fall off the Horse, except when they're contained inside a cockpit or something or in rare cases where the KnockBack just lands them on some other part of the Horse.

A Rider has the Horsemanship Specialty, which makes him one with his Horse. They're treated as a single 2" Creature together, and they resist Collisions and KnockBack together. Heavy and Two-Handed Weapons don't have a KnockBack effect against a Size 2" Creature, although it can still take KnockBack from larger weapons of Weapon Size 3" or more.

domminniti wrote:
2) do 2h or heavy weapons deal 1" knockback as usual when doing charge attacks - is this added to the knockback in the knockback phase or does it happen automatically before or after this phase?
These are two different kinds of Charge attacks here. An attack with a Charging Weapon doesn't have a KnockBack phase, so KnockBack from a Heavy or 2H Weapon is the only KnockBack involved.

A Collision has a KnockBack phase, but doesn't involve Charging Weapons.

domminniti wrote:
3) Does the rider gain any momentum when riding a horse? In the examples it seems the horse/rider combo only ever has 2 mom to spend, despite having a combined size of 3. What about if the horse is killed, or they are seperated somehow = eg the horse has 2 mom but is killed by a pike before the rider can joust, does the rider inherit any mom from the mount when he flies forward
The rider and horse together are a single object of Size 2. Together, they have a maximum of 2 momentum. Once separated, the horse has Size 2 and the rider has Size 1. If the rider moved at least 4" in a straight line before or after becoming separated, he now has 1 momentum, independent of the Horse.

The size of an object isn't the sum of the sizes of the pieces of the object. A 5" sphere might be made of a hundred 1" bricks, but it can't be size 100. Not because of realism, but because that would take forever to count and the game would grind to a halt.
domminniti wrote:
4) just checking I've got the order right for a horseman jousting a spearman with action ready, where the spearman's spear is 1" shorter so goes second, and the horseman has extra inches of move left leading to a collision
It's a little simpler than all of this. There's no KnockBack in the Charging Weapon attack, and the Horse's kick can't be used in the Charge because it isn't a Charging Weapon.

So, part 1: The Joust.

Horseman rolls for lance. If he hits:
  • 2 Action Dice + up to 2 Action Dice MOM Damage, spending MOMs
    minus any dice for Deflection from Shield Parry or Heavy Armor
    Spearman is Disrupted
If Spearman is still alive and un-Disrupted, Spearman rolls for spear. If he hits:
  • 1 Action Die + up to 1d6 MOM Damage, spending MOMs
    minus any dice for Deflection from Shield Parry or Heavy Armor,
    applying Armor Piercing if needed
If one or both sides are still moving and still have Momentum (they don't necessarily have to be alive) and Collide with each other:
  • Objects with Weight of 1 or more do a number of d6es of Crash Damage equal to Weight or MOMs, whichever is less, not spending MOMs
    Roll each object's remaining MOMs against Colliding object's POPs; deliver KnockBack
If the Size 2" Horse runs over either minifig:
  • 1 Trample Damage, cumulative with other Damage taken

domminniti wrote:
5) disruption/ angry inch -
2010 rules
if a unit is disrupted, can he deliver any counterattacks?
In both the 2010 and 2018 rules, "A Disrupted minifig is helpless, and may not attempt any further Movement or Action until his following turn, not even to Counter a Close Combat attack." He's an inanimate object. At the beginning of his own next turn, if he's still alive, he can use an Angry Inch to jump up and do Close Combat stuff again.

domminniti wrote:
6) Burst Fire
Can someone give me a scenario where a burst or 3 or more is actually advantageous? Even when rolling d8's and with a 1" gun, the extra inaccuracy and the extreme chance or a reload next turn make it worse than a single shot, a arc or a 2 round burst.
It's good if you're firing at a large or unmissable target with a lot of armor. You don't need the accuracy, and you do need the extra damage. High-volume bursts aren't a great option in other situations, which is good because they can get overpowered fast.

domminniti wrote:
7) Arc fire range
Do targets in the arc but out of range get a chance to be hit, with the usual damage and aim penalties? I assumed not, but I coudn't find it in the rules
Yes. If the attacker wants to roll for them, he or she is allowed to do so. It's a risk, because each roll increases the chance of needing a Reload, so you don't necessarily want to spend those rolls on targets with damage and aim penalties.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm
6) How does weapon modding work on Bastard size mini fig weapons? Say I’m modding a regular long range rifle. If I take the high powered mod is damage now 2d6 or 2d6+1? If I pair that with the close quarter mod, is range now 6” or 5”?
Weapon Mods are a little finicky, which is why I took them out of 2018/2019. But for 2010 rules, a Long-Ranged Rifle is a 1.5" Gun, mostly. Guns get +4" Range and +1d6 Damage with each inch of Weapon Size, so your modded rifle would be 6" and 2d6+1.

Maraxous wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:03 am
Can a Marksman use Marksmenship with a rocket launcher?
"When Aiming, a Marksman can make a single Ranged attack with a Short- or Long-Ranged Weapon, or an AutoGun set to single fire." So, nope.

Fyr1
Battlefield General

Post by Fyr1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:30 am

I have a question about how size 2 weapons work. Why can't a normal minifig use a size 2 weapon? It seems that according to the MOC combat rules they should be able to.

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Fyr1 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:30 am
I have a question about how size 2 weapons work. Why can't a normal minifig use a size 2 weapon? It seems that according to the MOC combat rules they should be able to.
They can: a Two-Handed Weapon is a size 2 weapon. Minifigs can actually exceed MOC combat's 2" weapon limit by equipping a Heavy Weapon (1.5") and a Heavy Shield (1.5") together.

Hand-held ranged weapons are subject to different restrictions - see https://brikwars.com/rules/2020/8.htm#handheld . A minifig can use a 2" ranged weapon if it's bolted directly to his torso, but this is less common than minifigs carrying weapons in hand.

KleptocracyNow
Nice Dubs

Post by KleptocracyNow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm

1. Deflection seem less effective against a d6 action die than against a d8 or a d10, since mechanics like going over the top or charging mix die types. This seems a bit counterintuitive to me so I'd like some confirmation that I'm reading it right.

2. Crit fails seem like they should be extremely common, what with the d6 action die on most minis and all the individual d6 rolls. Yet looking at batreps and forum battles, they seem less common than I'd expect them to be. Idk if this is just a case of my intuition being wrong, Fudge™ or if I'm missing something. Is it just because people use squad rules a lot or something? Or do people, like, tend to count action+result-of-action (like a damage roll) or something?

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am

KleptocracyNow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm
1. Deflection seem less effective against a d6 action die than against a d8 or a d10, since mechanics like going over the top or charging mix die types. This seems a bit counterintuitive to me so I'd like some confirmation that I'm reading it right.
There are a couple of different factors here:

:d8: s and :d10: s go over the top more often than :d6: es (38% and 50% vs. 17%, respectively), so in that regard, :d6: es are much less likely to overcome deflection.

Bonus damage dice from both over the top and charging add more of whichever die was already in the damage, rather than mixing in new die types. So in that regard, Deflection is a little less effective against :d6: es just because canceling a :d6: is less of an effect than canceling a :d8: or :d10:, but in whichever case you're still canceling one die.

Bonus dice from critical successes in the damage roll are all :d6: es, but you don't see these until after Deflection has already been applied - you can't get critical successes on dice that you never rolled in the first place.

KleptocracyNow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm
2. Crit fails seem like they should be extremely common, what with the d6 action die on most minis and all the individual d6 rolls. Yet looking at batreps and forum battles, they seem less common than I'd expect them to be. Idk if this is just a case of my intuition being wrong, Fudge™ or if I'm missing something. Is it just because people use squad rules a lot or something? Or do people, like, tend to count action+result-of-action (like a damage roll) or something?
Crit fails are extremely common, especially if you're Kommander Ken. Most people don't give them any special treatment though, just treating them as regular failures, so it's not that common to call them out in the battle reports. (My personal preference is to treat every critfail as a Something Bad! result, just because I like my minifigs to be constantly miserable, but everybody plays differently.)

KleptocracyNow
Nice Dubs

Post by KleptocracyNow » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
stubby wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am
There are a couple of different factors here:

:d8: s and :d10: s go over the top more often than :d6: es (38% and 50% vs. 17%, respectively), so in that regard, :d6: es are much less likely to overcome deflection.

Bonus damage dice from both over the top and charging add more of whichever die was already in the damage, rather than mixing in new die types. So in that regard, Deflection is a little less effective against :d6: es just because canceling a :d6: is less of an effect than canceling a :d8: or :d10:, but in whichever case you're still canceling one die.

Bonus dice from critical successes in the damage roll are all :d6: es, but you don't see these until after Deflection has already been applied - you can't get critical successes on dice that you never rolled in the first place.
Ah, apologies. I should have read the rules more carefully before asking stupid questions. :oops: I missed the part where over the top rolls act different on damage rolls and other rolls like movement.
Crit fails are extremely common, especially if you're Kommander Ken. Most people don't give them any special treatment though, just treating them as regular failures, so it's not that common to call them out in the battle reports. (My personal preference is to treat every critfail as a Something Bad! result, just because I like my minifigs to be constantly miserable, but everybody plays differently.)
Ah, I see. So it is just a case of Fudge™. Good to know. I think I might go with the rulebook on this one, then, cause trainwrecks are fun.

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:18 pm

KleptocracyNow wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:12 pm
Ah, apologies. I should have read the rules more carefully before asking stupid questions. :oops:
Not at all. Stupid questions are the only way we get anything done around here.

Every question, stupid or otherwise, is feedback about which parts of the rulebook either need clarification or which don't work in the first place because I didn't think through all the edge and corner cases. They all make the experience better for the next guy to arrive.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:18 pm

stubby wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am
Crit fails are extremely common, especially if you're Kommander Ken.
:myth:

When we play we usually only do the crit fails and missed shots if it's going to be funny, otherwise, we have too many units to track.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.