Zombies questions??????

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Zombies questions??????

Post by Pvt Expendable » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 am

Say im a lot confused if zobies have to be animated why can they bite another and create another zombie?

Should they just be alive and not have to roll all those d6's

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:20 pm

um, I don't quite understand what you are asking could you please refine the question?

Red Clay
Champion
Champion

Post by Red Clay » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Ya i'm lost too :?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 pm

alright, i as well am completely lost but i'll try to help

first question looks like you're just asking a basic question about zombies and how bites are spread and new zombies are made. it's simple: you start with one zombie, it bites something else. something else dies, and later comes back as a zombie. nobody knows what started it, and quite frankly it doesn't matter. all that matters is that it WILL spread.

for your second question, i THINK that you're talking about stumble dies for the full shambling zombie effect. it's not a necessary rule, but it's fun. use it if you like.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Thank you Ivyhorseman

and the rest of you too =) :D

So a clarification on my poor communication / grammar would be

Somewhere i got rules that say you needs pips equvalent to a number of dies then you roll that many dice every turn per zombie then you remove all the pips that represent 6's or something havent dug up the rules recently (shame on me)

So what if my necromance wants to crate a battlefield zombie from a fallen enemy how does that work?

Just spend magic point equvalent to cp value?

so the pip's and "stumble dies are optional,...whoo hoo zombie mayham is back,.....

Brains more Brains

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 pm

these are 2001 rules. they were designed to be as annoying and complex as possible. so yes, you need to roll all those dice.

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, I know this is sort of old, but I don't come here often and I figure it's worth commenting on anyway.

NELUG's had two zombie games so far and I've got a third in the works. Each time, I've used some custom rules and had to refine them each time. The last game took place in a mall (a la Dawn of the Dead).

Here's the rules from that game: !!ZombiesII!!

The really relevent part is the Infectious Bite that zombies deal out during CC. The effort was to create some sense of suspense for the players (each player only had a unit or two) so every bite wouldn't mean automatic zombification.

So there were two routes to take: Critical hit and Infiction Risk.

A critical, CC hit would result in instant zombification. Infection Risk meant the unit had only a chance of becoming a zomibe each turn, until it cleared his system (this was also meant to give a medic more meaning). This is probably the pip-system previously mentioned.

Infection Risk meant rolling a d4 and placing that many pips on the unit's base to indicate the number of turns the unit was at risk. Each turn, the player rolled a d6 and if they rolled a 1, the unit turned flesh-eating. Anything else, and he was clear for that turn. If the player got through all pips, he was free and clear There's some optional rules for Immunity as well.

Turns out that Critical Hit infection was a little too harsh. A player, controlling only one or two units, could be out of the game real fast. So I'm dropping that for next time.

Each and every combat session should only result in one roll of the d4 for surviving units. This way, Infection Risk keeps everyone guessing who may or may not turn undead.

I might up the die roll to a 1 and 2 turning a unit. There's probably some inverse ratio of die roll to number-of-units-per-player if you want lots of potential zombies. But with a 1-player, 1-unit game, rolling a 1 is probably best.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 pm

you could also skip the d4 roll and use a rule that if he is infected he will have to roll a d6 at the beginning of each turn, if it is a 1 he turnes into a zombie, if it is a 6 the infection wears off, and he is safe until he gets bit again. although if you find that this lasts too long you could also change it so that the effect wears off at a 5 or higher or something like that.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Rody wrote:you could also skip the d4 roll and use a rule that if he is infected he will have to roll a d6 at the beginning of each turn, if it is a 1 he turnes into a zombie, if it is a 6 the infection wears off, and he is safe until he gets bit again. although if you find that this lasts too long you could also change it so that the effect wears off at a 5 or higher or something like that.
Yes, that could work too.

One of the benefits of using pips is you don't have to remember who's been bitten --although you could mark you stat cards. However, you don't get that sense of suspense as a player gets ready to roll to remove his last pip only to have it come up a 1.

Seriously, that expression of I-Almost-Got-Free-But-Got-Totally-Boned is priceless.

Plus, other players can clearly see who's a potential problem at a glance. Which could cut both ways, I see now. How much fun would it be if your hold up in a basement only to find out Chip the Football player is suddenly feasting on the cheerleaders internal organs and you never saw it coming?

Mmm... It's probably not worth the actual paperwork.

Bleep
Champion
Champion

Post by Bleep » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:45 pm

I was reading the PDF that you posted Evil Wayne and at the end is an equipment table. How, per se, was this game setup to work? I recognize by delving into the bowels of your website that they were in a mall, that there were several characters with different abilities, and that zombies were attacking them.

How does the game playout, because it sounds like something my BrikWars friends would like.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 pm

actually, making people have no idea who's infected or not could potentially work. any player who is bitten rolls a die, but only that player and the player controlling the zombies get to see the result. then, going from that and removing a hidden pile of pips/rolling a d6 of doom, the player suddenly snaps and starts devouring brains.

the best part is, is that other players KNOW that their buddy was bitten, but have no idea whether or not he's infected. but he knows. he KNOWS.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Totally. Doing stuff that your opponents can't see is so much cooler than you might think. I've used it before to set timed mines. The player that set them wrote down the number of turns until they exploded but nobody else knew.

Paranoia is just another great emotion for Brikwarriors to feel on the battlefield. If it were me though, I would just kill all of the other humans regardless of whether they were infected or not. I find that it's safer not to take the chance.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:48 am

For simplicity, you can rule that on a 4+, any model slain by a zombie becomes a zombie. More potent/infected zombies can add bonuses to this roll.
It's a secret to everybody.

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Bleep wrote:I was reading the PDF that you posted Evil Wayne and at the end is an equipment table. How, per se, was this game setup to work? I recognize by delving into the bowels of your website that they were in a mall, that there were several characters with different abilities, and that zombies were attacking them.
Actually that's not an equipment table, it's my handy-dandy d100 Random Container Chart® . It's something I came up with years ago for a game where players could MacGyver things together for weapons on the fly.

I keep modifying for any game where players can do any kind of searching. In this case, the players could find the clues to a boat moored in the bay (usually the grayed items are something I want them to find).
How does the game playout, because it sounds like something my BrikWars friends would like.
Well, both zombie games played out very differently than I expected. At no time did the players feel "danger". In fact, the first thing they did in this game was make it to a sporting goods store, stock up on stuff and go zomibe hunting. In the first game they developed a grapple-and-chainsaw technique to take the zombies head-on.

There was no, lets-barricade-the-door scene. Or screaming, half-naked blonde.

Here's some pics of the game.

Oh, and it probably isn't necessary to mention, but any zombie game must include limited ammo. Nothing's better than making players actually think about every shot they're taking.
Last edited by Evil Wayne on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:38 pm

IVhorseman wrote:actually, making people have no idea who's infected or not could potentially work. any player who is bitten rolls a die, but only that player and the player controlling the zombies get to see the result. then, going from that and removing a hidden pile of pips/rolling a d6 of doom, the player suddenly snaps and starts devouring brains.

the best part is, is that other players KNOW that their buddy was bitten, but have no idea whether or not he's infected. but he knows. he KNOWS.
Okay, I think I'm starting to dig this idea. Especially if the player only has one unit. Once he's undead, he could still have control over the unit, only now he's turn politician... I mean zombie.

Yeah, I'm going to work on including something like this for the next game.