BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:10 am

Energy shields from chapter 8, not handheld shields.
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm

There's a lot of fudging where Bastard stats are concerned. If a Heavy Weapon was strictly treated as 1.5" then you wouldn't be able to use a (hand) Shield with it, it's true.

Personal energy shields aren't very cost-effective compared to Body Armor, since they add the requirement for Shield Projectors and only protect against the first hit or two before using up their dice for the turn. (I still have to write the example box that clarifies that.) They're passive rather than active - you can't use them to parry or shove, and you can't pick which incoming attacks you use them against unless you're using your Action to control the Shield specifically.

But, they are popular for wizards and space marines, so I see the appeal. Given the disadvantages of Energy Shield use, I'd say go crazy - treat Bastard Weapons as 1" for the purpose of pairing with Energy Shields.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

nifty. Thanks stubby.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:53 pm

On detecting revealed scouts.
The enemy makes a Skill Roll; if the Scout is less than this many inches from the enemy, he must be moved back along the path of his Hidden movement until he's that distance away; this is the location at which he was Detected by the enemy and he must begin his turn from there.
Wouldn't the scout already be "that distance" away? I read this about six times, and I still don't understand exactly what it means.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 am

Gungnir wrote:On detecting revealed scouts.
The enemy makes a Skill Roll; if the Scout is less than this many inches from the enemy, he must be moved back along the path of his Hidden movement until he's that distance away; this is the location at which he was Detected by the enemy and he must begin his turn from there.
Wouldn't the scout already be "that distance" away? I read this about six times, and I still don't understand exactly what it means.
That's correct, sorry it wasn't written clearly. I've gone ahead and clarified it a little (hopefully):
When the Scout's location is revealed, the nearest enemy unit able to see him in the new position may attempt to Detect him, making a Skill Roll against the number of inches between himself and the Scout. If the Skill Roll is less than that number of inches, then the Scout was not Detected and arrives safely. If the Skill Roll equals or exceeds the number of inches, then the Scout was Detected before he reached the position where he planned to appear. Look back along the path of his Hidden Movement and find the spot that's exactly that many inches away from the unit that Detected him; this is where the Scout appears instead. Whichever spot he appears at, he begins his turn from that position with his full Movement and Action available to him as normal.
Since I was digging around in Chapter 8 anyway, I took the opportunity to reorganize the Energy Shield text as well, so hopefully that section is a little clearer now too.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Okay, so let me see if I got this.
The detecting unit rolls against the distance between him and where the scout passes by him, and if he succeeds, the scout gets bumped back to that spot?
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Gungnir wrote:Okay, so let me see if I got this.
The detecting unit rolls against the distance between him and where the scout passes by him, and if he succeeds, the scout gets bumped back to that spot?
Sort of, except not when the scout passes by. He only gets the chance to detect when the scout chooses to reveal itself.

This is one that really needs an example box added.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 am

Can a creation use Compensating to fire more weapons instead of just larger ones?
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:15 pm

I know it's not important but could Quikwars be made more distanced from the full rule-set, When I first read the 2005 rule-book I ploughed through without realizing that I'd passed the division between the two rule-sets, might just be me but CH1 seemed to be like an extension of QW.

Also I found this in the modifiers section.
Altitude is delermined by the surface on which a unit is standing or on which a weapon is mounted;
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 pm

stubby wrote:
Gungnir wrote:Okay, so let me see if I got this.
Sort of, except not when the scout passes by. He only gets the chance to detect when the scout chooses to reveal itself.

I've finished building the vignette for this one, so there'll be an example on the way.
*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:Can a creation use Compensating to fire more weapons instead of just larger ones?
I'm going to say no. Multiple CC weapons will be covered by the Heavy Infantry unit who shows up later, and otherwise I still want to limit minifigs to a single ranged weapon at a time. Except for heroic feats, of course.
dilanski wrote:I know it's not important but could Quikwars be made more distanced from the full rule-set, When I first read the 2005 rule-book I ploughed through without realizing that I'd passed the division between the two rule-sets, might just be me but CH1 seemed to be like an extension of QW.
This is a legitimate issue, and I've heard similar complaints from other folks in the past as well. I haven't decided on the best way to address it yet.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 am

You could do something like aks if the person has Wargaming experience.
"Do you have experience with wargaming then head over to the awesome more complex rulese here. Otherwise we advise you to start out with the Quikwars below"

Just some food for thought.

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 pm

The small grey text at the top could be made into a box of full sized text just to emphasize it, I've realized there is a division with the 'Espirit de core' picture but my browser size missed the text telling me that this was the core rules, reminded me of the Google labs gadget, and according to it no one would see it without scrolling which I couldn't see many doing due to the size of the bar.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 pm

stubby wrote:Sort of, except not when the scout passes by. He only gets the chance to detect when the scout chooses to reveal itself.

This example has now been added.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:45 pm

stubby wrote:
stubby wrote:Sort of, except not when the scout passes by. He only gets the chance to detect when the scout chooses to reveal itself.

This example has now been added.
I guess the guards will use Silanqui's corpse to get rid of all the tension that was build up by Svetlana and her cactus incidient.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm

As long as the weapon keeps firing at the exact same point, and neither the weapon or the target move, there's no need to keep recalculating trajectories - the Attack Bonuses from Gunnery Support can be considered permanent until the weapon moves or aims somewhere else. If it continues to pound that same target over several turns, the Gunners can learn from the attack results and Home In on the target. When their previous Gunnery Support bonuses are already considered permanent, for each new attack they can add their Gunnery Support again, accumulating bonuses over time until it becomes almost impossible to miss (ignoring the ever-present possibility of Critical Failures, of course).
I have a question: say a gunner is firing a mounted weapon on his own (i.e. only his d8 skill, no gunnery support). Neither he or the targets move. Would he be able to home in as well (+1 second turn, +2 third, etc.) or not? I don't see any reason why he wouldn't, but it seems like he can only do this with help.

Also, does the "mounted" designation include machineguns on bipods? When you made the example of supporting gunners feeding ammo belts, I got a mental picture of two German soldiers on the steppes of Russia, mowing down communists with an MG-42...

I thought about something similar to the scout sneaking by enemies, except on the first turn, they were removed, and at the end of the second, both players rolled--higher one got to pick where the scout ended up, anywhere the scout could have gotten to in two turns' movement (if the enemy wins, the scout got lost :twisted: ).

Just a thought. Or three.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)