External Fuel Tanks

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

bann154
bann is the mann

External Fuel Tanks

Post by bann154 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:06 am

This is an idea i have for external fuel tanks that would be mounted or towed by a tank or even a backpack sized one carried by a trooper that would give a benefit but also a deficit. So my thought is have it act like its own vehicle or structure with its own armor level and size rating. So for each 1" it would increase the size of the flamethrower by 1" so a 3" towed trailer would increase the size of a flamethrower mounted on the towing vehicle be 3 so if it had a size 2 it would then become size 5. However as the external tank takes damage it decreases the bonus and when the trailer is destroyer it explodes 1d10+size D4 fire damage so a size 3 trailer would explode doing 1d10+3d4 fire damage. Thoughts?
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

Omega Prime
Cannon Fodder

Re: External Fuel Tanks

Post by Omega Prime » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Maybe add a thing that states that the larger the fuel truck is, then the slower the thing towing it is, because it wouldn't realistically be possible for one fig to move the same distance as the same fig pulling a fuel cart in one turn.
gotta love knitting needles. i can make you a scarf. i can make a hat. i can stab your eyes out. i can make mittens.

What was that middle part again?

i can make a hat

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't think this needs a movement debuff as a vehicle trailer... Just the risk of explosion is pretty good and makes sense. For a minifig, you probably don't need anything beyond the rules for heavies.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am

bann154 wrote:So for each 1" it would increase the size of the flamethrower by 1"
Seems like it's easier just to make a 2" flamethrower to begin with? Statting it as a complete 2" flamethrower cart seems simpler than a piecemeal 1" flamethrower plus a 1" fuel cart.

Not to rain on your parade or anything - I have always thought that external batteries and fuel tanks would be a cool idea; we even had them in earlier versions. But it seems easier to just make the weapons an inch bigger and be done with it.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 pm

It seems like the goal is to achieve some realism with flamethrower tanks? And some extra utility with a universal power boost that can attach to any vehicle system. It makes sense to me.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Sure, but the end result is that you go through extra work to add 1" of fuel tank to 1" of flamethrower, only to discover that all you've done is built a regular 2" flamethrower with the stats of a regular 2" flamethrower.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 pm

The extra work is exactly why I feel you don't need a ton of downsides to balance the trailer - you already paid in bricks. Also are you telling me that Brikwars is about precisely calculated army building? Build first, stat later!